Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Yes, we do. Take my city of Orlando Fl for example. There are a couple hundred of us who have hosted or couchsurfed.
A couple hundred who have couchsurfed, out of a couple million in metro Orlando? For every one who has couchsurfed, there are 9,999 for whom that is not living "like a local". In Orlando, traveling like a local is traveling like the other 9,999. Not couchsurfing. There are a couple of hundred people in Orlando who travel in an executive jet. I wanna travel like those locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I'm more the "Travel, do as i please and don't care what other people think" kind of guy.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm more the "Travel, do as i please and don't care what other people think" kind of guy.
Which is good, until you step into the wrong area of a city or do something weird. I mean in your own country it's fine, but in a foreign country, especially any one that is developing or worse..you have to take precautions.

Would I couch surf in the US? Yeah maybe. I mean I can afford nice hotels, but if I had to, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, would I couch surf in say....Albania? No..

Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM

91 posts, read 157,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Which is good, until you step into the wrong area of a city or do something weird. I mean in your own country it's fine, but in a foreign country, especially any one that is developing or worse..you have to take precautions.

Would I couch surf in the US? Yeah maybe. I mean I can afford nice hotels, but if I had to, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, would I couch surf in say....Albania? No..
I don't know if wanting to see Tirana, or any other part of Albania as a local outweighs the possible dangers that come with couchsurfing. But then again, it does seem like a pretty tight knit community.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Traveling like a local? Isn't that an oxymoron? By definition, locals don't "travel" in their own city.

I think what Anthony Bourdain does is see the other side of cities that tour buses tend to miss. But does that reflect the life of most locals? I've never seen Bourdain eat at a chain restaurant, for example. But chain restaurants and fast food are the most popular places to eat - with locals - in many cities today.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Couchsurfing as previously mentioned

Also, read this book. It has tons of great tips
Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel: Rolf Potts: 9780812992182: Amazon.com: Books

The best way to experience a place like a local. Talk to locals. Strike up a conversation, in many countries you'll be surprised at how quickly some sort of greeting can turn into a invite to have dinner at their house.

Main Page - Wikitravel also has some good ideas

Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Two things that I do in order to see the parts of the cities I visit that are outside the normal tourist areas...

First, I find an Apple Store. Not one in a mall, but a re-seller in a neighborhood. Generally speaking they will be in good, safe, residential neighborhoods full of local people going about their days and great cafes where the locals eat.

Second, I find a university. Not the huge campus university, but a smaller campus or school and walk around--again in an area where people are going about their business. There are usually inexpensive places to eat for the students and great things to see.

I won't couch surf or stay in a hotel or a private home. My danger radar clicks on at the mention of doing so.

I prefer to eat where the locals eat, use public transportation, etc. I've even rented flats in the past for longer stays. Bottom line, I am a tourist, a guest in their city, and I'm never going to be a "local," so there is just so far I'll go in trying.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Travel like a Local:

1. Online Research. Read about the place before traveling there. Google, Wikipedia websites, this CD website, especially in the World, Europe, Asia forums.

2. Don’t go to only the major tourist attractions. Visit more local places away from major tourism sites where there isn’t always so many tourists.

3. Meet some people living there, and travel with them in the place. Tell those people you want to travel like a local, and not just a tourist.

4. Appreciate the culture, and cultural immersion. Don’t be too stubborn with the familiar routine, such as the place you live in when you are not traveling. Visit the places you want to visit the most, and love the culture, life, and scenery there.

5. Get to know the most amazing, interesting local places away from the major tourist sites, and know travel interests, lifestyle, and the kind of local places you want to be for plenty of hours in life of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World