U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,947,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
There is no country in the world more tolerant of homosexuality than the Netherlands. The fact that it's fourth behind Sweden, Belgium and France according to this list is ludicrous. The Netherlands was the first country in the world to legalize gay marriage over a decade ago (France is only now considering it, with mass protests against it). Not only that, look at the data collected by the Eurobarometer regarding attitudes towards homosexuality in the EU (pp. 41-42):

"Homosexual marriages should be allowed throughout Europe." --> AGREE
Netherlands: 82%
Sweden: 71%
Denmark: 69%
Belgium: 62%
Luxembourg: 58%

"Adoption of children should be authorised for homosexual couples throughout Europe." --> AGREE
Netherlands: 69%
Sweden: 51%
Denmark: 44%
Austria: 44%
Belgium: 43%

Can you think of any other country in the world where over 80% support gay marriage and almost 70% support gay adoption? I don't think so.
this is true.
I love netherlands, its such a progressive country. My sister was living in Amsterdam with her dutch boyfriend so i learned one or two things about your society, and you are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
There was one in February...sad
what? where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,489,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Spain and Argentina should be in the list. I don't thnk France should be, even if gay marriage is going to be legalized, so many people (close to the majority) have strongly opposed the project that I doubt that France is a so much gay friendly country.
Yes that is true. I heard in polls even a slight majoirty of people in France support gay marriages, yet most people there are against gay adoption.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,382,957 times
It would be interesting to see more up to date statistics regarding homosexual marriage, since that was conducted in 2006. I recall seeing something similar, but the question was 'Should homosexuality be accepted by society', and pretty much every Western European country scored above 60%, including Italy, IIRC.

Well, I did manage to find this..

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-12-2013 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,217,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It would be interesting to see more up to date statistics regarding homosexual marriage, since that was conducted in 2006. I recall seeing something similar, but the question was 'Should homosexuality be accepted by society', and pretty much every Western European country scored above 60%, including Italy, IIRC.

There's a difference between believing homosexuality should be accepted by society and being in favour of gay marriage. Besides, 2006 isn't that long ago.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,382,957 times
Never declared otherwise, I just thought it was an interesting statistic, and things can and do change a lot in 6/7 years. A lot of stats from the EU are quite old, it would be nice to get an up-to-date view.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
I'm shocked at some of the rankings on the list. So much so that I call BS on a few them.

For instance there is just no way that Venezuela is as homophobic as Ukraine. Polls and politics prove this easily.

In fact, I don't think the people who made this list really gave much credit to how tolerant much of Latin America is towards homosexuals these days.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,859,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Argentina is 14

it should be TOP 5, imo.

Gay marriage is legal here and BA is the most gayfriendly city you ve seen.
Every post you type is about how argentina or buenos aires is the best when in reality it is a 3rd world country with high unemployment.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,867,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Most surprising on that list to me is Angola. Perhaps something to do with the Portugese influence makes the people more tolerant than most African countries?

Also surprising to me is India. I am surprised only 7% of Indians find homosexuality acceptable. That is equal to its Muslim neighbor, Bangladesh. 0_0 I always found Indians to be extremely socially liberal, but I am probably exposed to a biased group living in America.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,983,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
this is true.
I love netherlands, its such a progressive country. My sister was living in Amsterdam with her dutch boyfriend so i learned one or two things about your society, and you are great.

what? where?
Sophie I did a Google and found an attack on a bears clubhouse
Homophobia exists everywhere

Last edited by minibrings; 03-12-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,983,019 times
I'm not surprised to see the Philippine rank the highest in Asia. I thought Indonesia would be higher.. same sex relationships are legal in all provinces except one (Aceh) and at least in Java and Bali, they have had a history of trans. performers. Though I could be getting this info confused with Thailand. Speaking of which surprised Thailand and Laos are at least not listed. My first morning in Laos I turned on the telly and I saw a transvestite leading a morning exercise show. They are also not uncommon on Thai TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or