U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:54 AM

6,549 posts, read 4,681,236 times

Advertisements

Sooooooooo our same-sex marriage bill is gonna be deliberated in our legislature next week, and they say it's the first Asian country to do so(is it?).
I don't think it's gonna pass, like 100% impossible, but I guess it's worth noting lol.
Kinda pathetic that we have to use something that's not gonna happen anyway to feel good about ourselves lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 05:13 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,995,827 times
Jordan is the more 'forward' country in the Middle East. Whilst it isn't "gay friendly" I would NOT be putting it in the top 5 list of the most anti-gay countries ever. Not to mention, homosexuality has been legal there since 1951. Try Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia and/or Yemen instead.

I spit on Jamaica, mainly at the fact that they're predominantly Christian and should know better. These savages not only make extremely homophobic music, but they enjoy murdering and abusing gays. Gay men get 10 years imprisonment there. Still better than the death penalty of course, but your vile gay-hating fellow citizens would give you the 'death penalty' anyway.

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-22-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sooooooooo our same-sex marriage bill is gonna be deliberated in our legislature next week, and they say it's the first Asian country to do so(is it?).
I don't think it's gonna pass, like 100% impossible, but I guess it's worth noting lol.
Kinda pathetic that we have to use something that's not gonna happen anyway to feel good about ourselves lmao.
As I said, it didn't happen. Sigh.

We should try pushing civil union instead tbqh. It's not perfect, but at least it's something.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,434,293 times
Quote:
As I said, it didn't happen. Sigh.

We should try pushing civil union instead tbqh. It's not perfect, but at least it's something.
Sorry to hear that! I've heard some interesting stories about Taiwan...

Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sorry to hear that! I've heard some interesting stories about Taiwan...
Nobody really expected any progress in our legislature so there's nothing to be sorry about.
What are those? I'd like to hear.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,434,293 times
Quote:
Nobody really expected any progress in our legislature so there's nothing to be sorry about.
What are those? I'd like to hear.
Umm can't be discussed in these forums

Old 05-24-2017, 10:55 PM

Taiwan court rules in favour of same sex marriage in historic first for an Asian country

Quote:
Taiwan's constitutional court has ruled that same-sex couples have the right to legally marry, in the first such ruling to be handed down in an Asian country.

The court, known as the Judicial Yuan, said current marriage laws were "in violation of both the people's freedom of marriage ... and the people's right to equality", and it gave two years for legal amendments to allow same-sex marriage.

"If relevant laws are not amended or enacted within the said two years, two persons of the same sex who intend to create the said permanent union shall be allowed to have their marriage registration effectuated," the court said.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights activists had harboured high hopes their years of campaigning for same-sex marriage would win the court's backing.

The ruling Democratic Progressive Party that swept national elections in the self-ruled island last year supports the change.

The ruling clearing the way for same-sex marriage is the first in Asia, where socially conservative attitudes largely hold sway.

But Taiwan has a reputation as a beacon of liberalism in the region.

"Sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic that is resistant to change," the court said.

"Furthermore, the freedom of marriage for two persons of the same sex, once legally recognised, will constitute the collective basis, together with opposite-sex marriage, for a stable society," it said.

Taiwan, which China regards as a renegade province, has a famous annual gay pride parade that showcases the vibrancy of its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
It's really late but well I guess it's a positive thing. It will be effectuated within a few month, it seems.

Unfortunately I predict the adoption to be another ugly battle.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 AM
AFP

6,063 posts, read 3,626,777 times
Quote:
Taiwan court rules in favour of same sex marriage in historic first for an Asian country

It's really late but well I guess it's a positive thing. It will be effectuated within a few month, it seems.

Unfortunately I predict the adoption to be another ugly battle.

You're unsure on whether it's a positive thing?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You're unsure on whether it's a positive thing?
I find it very difficult to compliment my own country (because it's so crap) so I can only resort to a more unsure/reserved tone.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Homosexuality in Brazilian culture is actually surprisingly distinct from the way things are in North America and Western Europe. As such, it can sometimes be difficult to compare, but I'm not surprised to see it listed as such.
Brazil society is very divided and somewhat paradoxal about this issue.

The LGBT movements here are strongly connected to the left-wing and they use to be very vehement in defending their point of view. They have a strong political power, and due to this, it's becoming less and less socially accepted to state you don't support gay marriage. You will lose friends if you say this.

Meanwhile, a brazilian straight man is very likely to get offended if you think he is gay, and words meaning "gay" (there are lots of them in Portuguese, mostly derogatory) are still very often used to insult other men.

In short, brazilian straight men often feel bad in being called "homophobic", but also feel bad in being called "gay".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or