U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,796,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
White people are seen as the 'default' in the Western world and due to the media, advertising and films in other countries as well. So women will typically have a crush on an American or British actor or pop star and that will form the template for their ideal partner. The popularity of Asian pop culture might be tempering that a bit, but I think being a white male or female is definitely a positive attribute in Asia.
Well, as many of my Asian female friends and former partners who have a preference for white guys have explained it, that's usually a big part of it... they went to see Titanic and fell in love with Leonardo DiCaprio; they read Pride and Prejudice in class and imagined being the recipient of Mr. Darcy's charms; they watched the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync, or maybe Nine Inch Nails or Matchbox 20 or other widely-circulated pop and rock music... a lot of them either went to schools in which there were a ton of white kids and so they had plenty of white friends and had crushes on the same guys that any other girl there did, they just happened to be white...

As Asian nations' own media becomes more pervasive overseas, and also gains a presence overseas both in mainstream culture as well as within Asian communities, I think that this will certainly effect the dynamics of interracial dating and marriage between Asians and whites; also, as the Asian community becomes less and less one of low-income, low-education immigrants and increasingly becomes one of educated, middle-class-or-above business owners and skilled professionals, there's less of a social incentive to "marry out" of the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 AM

7,170 posts, read 6,022,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4Tots View Post
indian man white woman couples in the UK, I find that hard to believe
I dont understand why you would find that so hard to believe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or