U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Mexicans 2 4.26%
Europeans 16 34.04%
Canadians 11 23.40%
Other 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 PM

16,739 posts, read 9,468,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
This question reminds me of that other loaded question: 'When did you stop beating your wife?'
As soon as we started playing for money!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Now, the Romans...thats another story! Those peoples were rude and unwelcoming like no other!
Once when I was in a hotel in Rome, I was made a laughingstock in front of everyone because I couldn't speak fluent Italian. That was a first for me. Those people take their language seriously. lol.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You could argue that USA,ians feel more insecure about Europe than the other way round? Have you seen the sort of comments football.......or erm soccer invokes amongst a large portion of people in the US? Also Americans are continually banging the drum about America and how they think its the greatest and freeist nation the world has ever seen (a sign of insecurity perhaps?) I dont think Europeans harp on the same way about their countries being the greatest ever (apart from the French obviously!)

I think that was more in the older generation right after WWII. People my age and most people among my circle of friends don't think like that. I find that people in the dark red conservative US states are the worst at the "we are the greatest" tripe. Most likely because they have been fed, and are still fed, that whole line of bull... to keep them from ever realizing how much their actual standard of living is lower than other developed countries. It always cracks me up to listen to the right wing conservative from the South railing against govt and universal health care, and then to see them demanding no change to Medicare (in their mind Medicare is capitalism at its finest). Stupid, uneducated people is the problem in the US.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was in Greece last summer, and the people there over and over and over told us that they love Americans and they were so glad that we weren't scared off by their countries current difficulties. We were offered free cab rides, free food, it was crazy! We of course refused their generous offers and paid our way, but it was so nice knowing that we were so warmly welcomed into their country.

The French, eh, they hate us. But they hate everyone, so we don't feel bad. The Italians don't hate us, they could care less about us. The Germans, of all of them I think the Germans think of us as a bit of a rival. They never say so, but both countries are more similar than they want to admit in many ways.

The Brits and Canadians, well, they are like our kid brother. (Or us theirs.) We act aloof, they make us crazy sometimes, and really angry others, but when it comes down to it, we love them, they love us, and we've got each others backs. If someone tries to bully one of us, the other will punch their daylights out. Or send a zombie invasion.

I don't think that statement as a whole is true, but the US has more than it's fair share who want to live here--even among the Europeans.
Not really. We are allies since the Second World War. Before that, not so much, or even at all.

Read some history on pre WWII, and see how really, really hard it was for FDR to get into WWII to help Great Britain. If Pearl Harbor were not attacked, the US would have never got into the war in Europe. And though LBJ begged the UK for even one small regiment in Vietnam, the Brits declined and never sent troops to assist in that struggle. Are you aware the UK and the US almost went to war in the early part of this century.

How America planned to destroy BRITAIN in 1930 with bombing raids and chemical weapons | Mail Online

‘Trent Affair’ Crisis during the U.S. Civil War: Great Britain Almost Fights the United States! | NewsInHistory.com

Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
That forum is awful I made a thread you should check it out!
The reason that forum is awful is because it is the home of the right wing nut job. I saw your post. Notice where most of the crazy posts come from on there and you will Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, Wyoming, etc. etc.. All red states galore.

This country is so divided now our govt is dysfunctional.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That forum is the gathering place of extreme right-wing nutjobs, thank God most of them haven't discovered the "Europe" forum yet.

I'm more worried than that. I actually think the mindset of the RWNJ on that forum is quite representative of the feelings of the majority of people in the more conservative regions of this country like the South, particularly Texas. That forum is stuffed full of Texans.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not really. We are allies since the Second World War. Before that, not so much, or even at all.
The U.S. fought on the same side as Britain in WWI.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S. fought on the same side as Britain in WWI.

And also on the side of Russia and France. A brief interlude. And that was because the sinking of a ship enraged Americans.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:34 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Read some history on pre WWII, and see how really, really hard it was for FDR to get into WWII to help Great Britain. If Pearl Harbor were not attacked, the US would have never got into the war in Europe. And though LBJ begged the UK for even one small regiment in Vietnam, the Brits declined and never sent troops to assist in that struggle. Are you aware the UK and the US almost went to war in the early part of this century.
Who needs enemies with friends like you! Your biggest allies, and young men from my city are still dying fighting alongside Americans in Afghanistan, for a DECADE because your country was dreadfully attacked. Nearly 500 British dead, 2000 Americans you have way more than 4 times the number of troops as us so we have suffered just as painfully as America. Only five British men died between April 2002 and early March 2006, so we have been hit hard in recent years.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM

558 posts, read 531,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well there is alot of bashing towards the United States, you can't expect everyone to just ignore it.
The USA is a sick society.

Alot of times thing like this happen; American says something good about his/her country... people respond by going off topic and saying "Oh well you have a high violent crime rate!"
Person from another country says something good about his/her country.... people respond by saying "awesome! i wish i could visit (insert country here)!"

and what is the point of having a thread about Homeless tent cities in America on the World forum? just the typical bash usa thread of the week?
Exactly.

If you say anything nice about the US, you get bashed in return. And then if you highlight this phenomenon by creating a thread, you're called insecure for doing so. It's amazing, someone needs to write a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World