U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: ?
Mexicans 2 4.26%
Europeans 16 34.04%
Canadians 11 23.40%
Other 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
 
558 posts, read 531,535 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
LOL, this is SO untrue! I ve said millon of times how USA haves the most amazing tv shows ever, praised their tv, their movies, their writers, their amazing sense of humour, etc, and NEVER got bashed. But when someone says a tiny criticism about the US, they get call "jealous, insecure," etc

You got it all so backwards its amazing.

And actually, the only thing we all seem to agree on (even americans) is that americans seem to have all this crazy uber chauvinistic people that create THIS type of threads, while people from other countries dont.

That we all agree on, And this type of threads prove it. And OF COURSE the ignorance and uber-chauvinism is gonna **** people off, and OF COURSE a thread with this title is gonna **** people off, its just plain made to provoque people from other nationalities.

Imagine if i made a thread that said "Argentina is the best country in the world and everyone else is jealous", well, of course thats so unthinkable because its completely unlikely someone would write something that ridiculous . But imagine if a french person or canadian person wrote a thread like this, or wrote a thread that said "why is everyone jealous about Paris being the best city in the world". Wouldnt THAT gat many haters??. Think about it for a second and you would get it.

So, in any case you should be writing a book about fellow americans like the one who created this thread. What on earth were they thinking??
This thread is highlighting a phenomenon that Americans experience all over the world. When it comes to the international community, if you're not bashing the US, then you're not part of the club. Those that deny the soft anti-americanism that's prevalent in our global society are either ignorant or active participants.

Of course it doesn't happen every time. But most of the time, if you get on world forums and compliment the US, you will receive random and unrelated negativity.

 
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,901 posts, read 7,952,637 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
This thread is highlighting a phenomenon that Americans experience all over the world. When it comes to the international community, if you're not bashing the US, then you're not part of the club. Those that deny the soft anti-americanism that's prevalent in our global society are either ignorant or active participants.

Of course it doesn't happen every time. But most of the time, if you get on world forums and compliment the US, you will receive random and unrelated negativity.
So, you think that if americans recieve criticism all over the world the reason is JEALOUSY? or INSECURITY? Dont you think international politics have to do with it? ignorance? extreme patriotism??
I agree americans get criticized in the world for a VARIETY of reasons, and the fact that they are the most important country in the world, therefore the most talked about, only helps. But what you are not getting is WHY they are bashed. The mistake (and frankly a very dumb mistake) is to think that americans being bashed haves anything to do with insecurity. It haves to do with this actual attitude that made one american write this threads, and other americans like you get it all wrong: uber chauvinism, arrogance, etc.
They are many many many countries in the world that dont look upon americans, they look upon europe instead (americans need to understand this). And not everyone wants to move to USA, not even close. The fact that you dont seem to be able to understand this is what makes you so unneapealing internationally.
You got whats happening right (americans do get bashed) you are not understanding WHY.

Maybe you americans should ask yourself that question.

OH WAIT, you already did. They are many threads about this, and people all over the world answered you with the same thing. And you still dont get it.

Oh well.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
So, you think that if americans recieve criticism all over the world the reason is JEALOUSY? or INSECURITY? Dont you think international politics have to do with it? ignorance? extreme patriotism??
I agree americans get criticized in the world for a VARIETY of reasons, and the fact that they are the most important country in the world, therefore the most talked about, only helps. But what you are not getting is WHY they are bashed. The mistake (and frankly a very dumb mistake) is to think that americans being bashed haves anything to do with insecurity. It haves to do with this actual attitude that made one american write this threads, and other americans like you get it all wrong: uber chauvinism, arrogance, etc.
They are many many many countries in the world that dont look upon americans, they look upon europe instead (americans need to understand this). And not everyone wants to move to USA, not even close. The fact that you dont seem to be able to understand this is what makes you so unneapealing internationally.
You got whats happening right (americans do get bashed) you are not understanding WHY.

Maybe you americans should ask yourself that question.

OH WAIT, you already did. They are many threads about this, and people all over the world answered you with the same thing. And you still dont get it.

Oh well.
So the usa gets bashed because alot of us love our country?

NO! They love their own country! lets remind them about president Bush and all the violence in their country!
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,901 posts, read 7,952,637 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So the usa gets bashed because alot of us love our country?

NO! They love their own country! lets remind them about president Bush and all the violence in their country!
Chauvinism has nothing to do with love. It haves to do with ignorance.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM
 
558 posts, read 531,535 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't think that is obvious at all. If someone were to criticise my country over something that is justified, I don't feel the need to "defend" my country at all. The problem is that some Americans seem to consider any negative opinion about their country as a personal attack. They desperately want their country to be seen as the greatest country in the world and will put down other countries in the process. That is a sign of insecurity to me. Why do you care so much what other nationalities think of your country? If someone is an obvious troll, why bother responding?

I've been called "anti-American" just for saying I don't like the American political system. It seems that some Americans are on the defensive all the time and just can't acknowledge that their country has flaws. The US is still a great country even if it isn't perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Obviously, if you say something negative about a country with malicious intent, citizens of that country will come to defend.

I'm talking about the phenomenon where if you say something nice about the US, you then randomly receive unrelated bashing comments. I agree with the OP that this shows signs of insecurity.
Once again, I'm NOT talking about justified and related criticisms. I'm talking about random and unrelated bashing. Therefore, it is obvious.

And the fact that many on this thread have grievances with the idea that America is the greatest in the world shows a big insecurity. Many countries claim to be the greatest in the world. I've heard politicians and news anchors from Canada, UK, Australia, etc say the same thing, but Americans aren't up in arms.

I think the OP's question is valid. With the United States being the world's only superpower, there's always going to be resentment and insecurities from other countries because we dominate the world politically, militarily, economically, and culturally, for now. Once that changes, all that resentment will move to the next country.

And, America always acknowledges its flaws, we acknowledge and talk about them so much that people who've never stepped foot in the US think they're experts on America's problems.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,965,749 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
And, America always acknowledges its flaws, we acknowledge and talk about them so much that people who've never stepped foot in the US think they're experts on America's problems.
I think our media is part of the problem. They blow things out of proportion and sensationalize stories instead of giving balanced news reports.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,992,719 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Chauvinism has nothing to do with love. It haves to do with ignorance.
I think you are over-exaggerating by using the term "Chauvinism"

Us Americans just show a special appreciation for our country that people from other countries dont understand and take it the wrong way.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,990,362 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Once again, I'm NOT talking about justified and related criticisms. I'm talking about random and unrelated bashing. Therefore, it is obvious.

And the fact that many on this thread have grievances with the idea that America is the greatest in the world shows a big insecurity. Many countries claim to be the greatest in the world. I've heard politicians and news anchors from Canada, UK, Australia, etc say the same thing, but Americans aren't up in arms.

I think the OP's question is valid. With the United States being the world's only superpower, there's always going to be resentment and insecurities from other countries because we dominate the world politically, militarily, economically, and culturally, for now. Once that changes, all that resentment will move to the next country.

And, America always acknowledges its flaws, we acknowledge and talk about them so much that people who've never stepped foot in the US think they're experts on America's problems.
I have seen many Americans bashing as well. It is all about a person with an inner problem and it has nothing to do with ones nationality. Many Americans also think they have the rest of the world figured out. It's not because they are American or German or whatever. It's because they are lacking as individuals. I have no use either for chauvinists of any nationality.

We are the only super power left but remember that we reached that position not just because of hard work but there was a lot of luck involved. After the worst world conflict in the history of the human race all those countries were basically destroyed. Civilian populations that made up the work force dead in the millions yet our population hardly touched at all, our infra-structure intact out factories unscathed. Don't you think that made a great deal of difference. The next time might be very different. Some one right after the war said we became number one....by default. There is a lot of truth in that. I am thankful for all that. Thankful enough not to throw it is some one less fortunate's face.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,901 posts, read 7,952,637 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Many countries claim to be the greatest in the world. I've heard politicians and news anchors from Canada, UK, Australia, etc say the same thing, but Americans aren't up in arms.


I ve never read someone from other country claim to be the best in the world. And in city-data every day theres a thread made by americans about how they are the best in the world. Are you really comparing the amount of over the top ignorance and chauvinism that some americans display to whatever anyone from other country could do???

The chauvinism and over the top arrogance about their country being the best in the world is an American thing.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,965,749 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I ve never read someone from other country claim to be the best in the world. And in city-data every day theres a thread made by americans about how they are the best in the world. Are you really comparing the amount of over the top ignorance and chauvinism that some americans display to whatever anyone from other country could do???

The chauvinism and over the top arrogance about their country being the best in the world is an American thing.
It seems that there was a poster from Finland tooting their horn pretty loud a few pages back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top