U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Mexicans 2 4.26%
Europeans 16 34.04%
Canadians 11 23.40%
Other 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,990,965 times

Advertisements

We all complain that we are getting bashed and it's a never ending story. I also realize that this is basically an American board. However almost all of these types of threads (actually this very one) are started by Americans and it's almost as if we're putting a sign on our own backs that says "Kick me!" Well then we get kicked.

The French have a great slang idiom for this kind of behavior "Tete de claque" or freely, "the face that begs for a slap."

Even more ironic here is this has become an exchange between the two most bashed societies in the Americas. The US and Argentina. I have heard other South Americans for years uses many of the same terms to bash the Argentinians. Arrogant, pedantic, obnoxious, condecsending and a lot of worse ones. About 150 years ago the Argentine writer Domingo Sarmiento stated that there were no two countries more similar in the New World than The US and Argentina, in my experience he was dead on.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,956,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post

Even more ironic here is this has become an exchange between the two most bashed societies in the Americas. The US and Argentina. I have heard other South Americans for years uses many of the same terms to bash the Argentinians. Arrogant, pedantic, obnoxious, condecsending and a lot of worse ones. About 150 years ago the Argentine writer Domingo Sarmiento stated that there were no two countries more similar in the New World than The US and Argentina, in my experience he was dead on.

The two most bashed societies in the americas?? lol, i dont think anyone cares enough about Argentina to bash it that much, tbh.
USA is a much more important country than Argentina and in a whole other league.

But I understand where you are coming from and its true that others southamericans bash us, maybe cause Argentina could be important compared to them, or cause of soccer. And the obnoxious and pedantic thing can be said, its true. But our societies are VERY different in very important things. One of them is patriotism. I think Argentina and USA represent the 2 extrems of it. USA: chauvinism. Argentina: hate for your own country.

You wont find any society LESS patriotic than Argentina in southamerica (maybe in the world, but im not an expert to say), people here simply criticize EVERYTHING about their country and hate it. And that, to me, is as unhealthy as being super patriotic, cause this state of mind is what actually have made this country what it is: a country with A LOT of potential, A LOT of amazing natural resources and advantages of all kind, thats still doing very crappy in almost every aspect. And why is that? Cause people dont love their country, dont care for it, its not willing to do anything to help their country, etc. That complete disdain about their own country is what makes this country what it is: a huge amount of wasted opportunities. A waste of so many things.

Of course i dont like the other end either. The huge chauvinism that USA displays its unhealthy, too, imo, and unclassy, among other things.
I think countries should remain in a healthy middle about loving your own country: you got to love it enough to be willing to make it work, but not that much that you cant see its faults and became ignorant about the rest of the world.

Argentina and USA both suck at this "healthy patriotism" thing, imo.

So maybe you were right and they are very similar, in a way. Opposite but similar.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 AM

33,605 posts, read 51,842,106 times
Maybe this thread needs to be closed? The topic has ran out it seems, and while it's interesting, going in circles will only make it even less comprehensive than it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World