U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: ?
Mexicans 2 4.26%
Europeans 16 34.04%
Canadians 11 23.40%
Other 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,729,336 times
Reputation: 4069

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That forum is the gathering place of extreme right-wing nutjobs, thank God most of them haven't discovered the "Europe" forum yet.
Here, here! Crazy place

 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
However I noticed a increased amount of threads about Americans wanting to move out and live somewhere else, where they think life is much better than in their own country.
Most of them are either bigots who can't tolerate the thought of a black president who doesn't oppose gay marriage or people who want the government to take care of them so are looking to go to a more socialized country.

Of course there will always be people who want to move to be with a spouse or for other family reasons, but those are few and far between. I do agree that the majority of people who want to immigrate here are coming from third world nations. That's another topic entirely.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
 
16,744 posts, read 9,476,191 times
Reputation: 12140
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This was true a long time ago, but not anymore.
Very few Europeans desire to move/live in USA nowadays. Most immigrants come now from developing countries - for them life in the USA is still attractive.
However I noticed a increased amount of threads about Americans wanting to move out and live somewhere else, where they think life is much better than in their own country.
I believe it might be to avail themselves of a better life as perceived by the immigrant desiring to move here in the 30's to 90's.

Many countries offer things such as superior education at reasonable cost. More secure lifestyle within major cities without fear of crime. Less polarization of citizenry to extent of bitter acrimony over what political party you support. It can come down to the type and availability of specialized training for some member of the family in a major sport or some such.

The world is becoming a very portable place to live.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
lol, you are awesome

OP seems like insecure himself, with a reasoning process of a 7 year old.
So true, I went through like 5 tissue boxes already. Idk how I'm gonna get through this.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
 
Location: The Silver State (from the UK)
4,663 posts, read 7,126,528 times
Reputation: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most of them are either bigots who can't tolerate the thought of a black president who doesn't oppose gay marriage or people who want the government to take care of them so are looking to go to a more socialized country.

Of course there will always be people who want to move to be with a spouse or for other family reasons, but those are few and far between. I do agree that the majority of people who want to immigrate here are coming from third world nations. That's another topic entirely.

I don't think that's entirely true, maybe for some but the truth is that the politics is almost intolerable here, extremism is on the rise, government and citizens are getting dumber by the minute (which isn't necessarily untrue in other countries either), and our frickin insane gun cluture makes the thought of a more tolerant, "civilized" society an attractive prospect.

I'm not going to acknowledge the OP, apart from to say "what a stupid fucxxng question".
 
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times
Reputation: 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol. our countries are pretty much brother and sister, great relationship between usa and canada, i know that there are plenty of Canadians that can go months without thinking about us,
NO THERE AREN'T

Just kidding. Of course there are...

On this forum at least, other than a few specific posters, it seems like Americans have the most insecurities about America (and I say this as an American).
 
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 21,519,881 times
Reputation: 19858
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You aren't American therefore you haven't felt the ire of the French as a tourist in their country. I stand by what I said. I've traveled extensively. I am not an ugly American. I try to fit in, and learn the customs before I arrive in their country. I'd never be so foolish as to assume that they'll accept US dollars (which is one "Ugly American" trick that leaves me dumbfounded) or expect them to know English. I've never felt so unwelcome anywhere as I have in France.



I never said the whole world.
You are of course right, I am not American, however I have a hell of a lot of American friends ( having lived and studied in the US) and whilst in France also knew a lot of American expats ( especially in Paris which is recognised by even French people as being the most "challenging" to overcome when it comes to rudeness) and I can't remember anyone having anything negative to say about the reception they got because of their Nationality.

I think you wil find rude people everywhere and thus occasionally encounter someone who is surly ( and will be as surly to me as they are to anyone else) but I have never seen Americans being singled out for bad treatment. I am sure there are the occasional and rare French jerk who stupidly treats Americans differently and abuses them but I genuinely believe these are in a teeny-tiny minority.

Most of my American friends who like you are well travelled and wander off the beaten path seem to adore France and have little negative to say about it apart from the lack of AC in places and price of petrol.


I lived in the US for three years and was welcome with open arms by most people. Until it slipped out I was French. Then the attitude quite often changed to one of quite stupefying rudeness,ignorance and arrogance. All this mostly by people who by their own admission had never even stepped foot on French soil....

I remember having this lovely very civilised conversation once with a nice Lady in Deerfield MA, we were getting on like a house on fire having a great natter. At some point I mentioned being French and she literally walked away from me..... And this happened to me quite often.... It became a test for me to see who was actually nice and friendly and who was just putting on a face. Drop in the bombshell and see who remained nice...

I have met countless rude people in the US but I have resisted the temptation to think somehow everyone in the US was rude and hated me because of my Nationality. I remember the rudeness of some people in NYC and thought nothing of it,just another big city with self centered and harried people. You win some , you lose some.


Even though the evidence for Americans disliking the French is I believe far more tangible than the reverse.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You are of course right, I am not American, however I have a hell of a lot of American friends ( having lived and studied in the US) and whilst in France also knew a lot of American expats ( especially in Paris which is recognised by even French people as being the most "challenging" to overcome when it comes to rudeness) and I can't remember anyone having anything negative to say about the reception they got because of their Nationality.

I think you wil find rude people everywhere and thus occasionally encounter someone who is surly ( and will be as surly to me as they are to anyone else) but I have never seen Americans being singled out for bad treatment. I am sure there are the occasional and rare French jerk who stupidly treats Americans differently and abuses them but I genuinely believe these are in a teeny-tiny minority.

Most of my American friends who like you are well travelled and wander off the beaten path seem to adore France and have little negative to say about it apart from the lack of AC in places and price of petrol.


I lived in the US for three years and was welcome with open arms by most people. Until it slipped out I was French. Then the attitude quite often changed to one of quite stupefying rudeness,ignorance and arrogance. All this mostly by people who by their own admission had never even stepped foot on French soil....

I remember having this lovely very civilised conversation once with a nice Lady in Deerfield MA, we were getting on like a house on fire having a great natter. At some point I mentioned being French and she literally walked away from me..... And this happened to me quite often.... It became a test for me to see who was actually nice and friendly and who was just putting on a face. Drop in the bombshell and see who remained nice...

I have met countless rude people in the US but I have resisted the temptation to think somehow everyone in the US was rude and hated me because of my Nationality. I remember the rudeness of some people in NYC and thought nothing of it,just another big city with self centered and harried people. You win some , you lose some.


Even though the evidence for Americans disliking the French is I believe far more tangible than the reverse.
I don't dislike the French. I think they've got a beautiful country with so much to offer. It's unfortunate that their attitudes towards others are so terrible. About 30 years ago I visited France with a Canadian friend. We were both made to feel utterly unwelcome. It wasn't just me or the US. It took me a long time to want to return there after that trip.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 AM
 
994 posts, read 1,012,799 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't dislike the French. I think they've got a beautiful country with so much to offer. It's unfortunate that their attitudes towards others are so terrible. About 30 years ago I visited France with a Canadian friend. We were both made to feel utterly unwelcome. It wasn't just me or the US. It took me a long time to want to return there after that trip.
You said earlier that the French don't dislike Americans as many believe, they just dislike, and are unwelcoming towards, everyone.

Well, I've visited France upwards of ten times, and always felt perfectly welcome, even when the best my language skills could do for me was 'parlez vous anglais?' (very often the answer would be 'yes'). And we, the English, have been falling out with the French for over a thousand years.

Without wanting to sound uncharitable, if people were unfriendly towards you it might just have been that they didn't like you personally (which is not to say they were justified!), rather than having anything against where you came from...
 
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,989,978 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most of them are either bigots who can't tolerate the thought of a black president who doesn't oppose gay marriage or people who want the government to take care of them so are looking to go to a more socialized country.

Of course there will always be people who want to move to be with a spouse or for other family reasons, but those are few and far between. I do agree that the majority of people who want to immigrate here are coming from third world nations. That's another topic entirely.

I lived overseas for a quarter of a century and your assessment of American expats is totally different what what I experienced. I found most of them to be liberals in thought, certainly not racists nor ethnocentric. That would make it difficult for a person to live in a society other than their own. Actually I found that most of the fanatics are right wing thinkers who are generally nationalistic and rarely want to leave their own country.

The main reason I found for people living out side of the US (or let's just say their birth nati on) was for a fuller life experience. Kind of like those Americans who have contributed to the thread "I am fascinated by everything British". These are people who have a natural curiosity. They are the Americans who are going to bring us a world view and who are generally more open to new ideas than the stay at home crowd.

Generally these people form unions with a partner of a different race or different culture or both and are more often than not, richer for it. Hardly bigots. In these days it is not politics that make an American go to other parts of he world and live there. It's the spirit of adventure, of discovering new things and different people, different forms of thought, all positive things IME.

Part of my remaining out side of the US was just the opposite of what you say. My children are mixed and I didn't want them exposed to the negativity toward mixed children that existed in the US during that time. I found a place where they could grow up without that stigma attached to them and their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top