U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: yes or no
Si! 40 48.78%
No way Jose 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,634,787 times

Advertisements

And which one is supposed to be the first one: Chinese or English?

Important? it depends, I speak a perfect Spanish and it has been important sometimes and sometimes not. Travelling around Europe was not (except here in Spain) but in the internet, literature, and other trips for example to America yes it was useful, LatinAmerica is growing fast and maybe in some years it will be very important, , apart from this it is the second most spoken language after Chinese.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM

20,588 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I beg to differ. The Florida DMV offers the drivers book in English and Spanish, and the drivers test can be taken in either language. There's a reason behind that. There are parts of Florida where you simply will not find English speakers.
The ubiquity of Spanish in *all* spheres of life in southeastern Florida and the Rio Grande Valley of Texas is greatly overstated. Yes, it is very present but officialdom still functions in English there. There are some accommodations in public services for Spanish speakers (like the DMV example you stated) but behind the counter the DMV still operates entirely in English. Not Spanish.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 AM

20,588 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
And which one is supposed to be the first one: Chinese or English?

Important? it depends, I speak a perfect Spanish and it has been important sometimes and sometimes not. Travelling around Europe was not (except here in Spain) but in the internet, literature, and other trips for example to America yes it was useful, LatinAmerica is growing fast and maybe in some years it will be very important, , apart from this it is the second most spoken language after Chinese.
I speak OK Spanish but have never had to use it as a lingua franca in a non-Spanish speaking country except on one or two occasions in Miami.

I speak French also and have used it on quite a few occasions as a lingua franca in non-French speaking countries. Nowhere near the number of times I have used my English of course.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. The Florida DMV offers the drivers book in English and Spanish, and the drivers test can be taken in either language. There's a reason behind that. There are parts of Florida where you simply will not find English speakers.
No, not true at all. Sorry. I know some of you guys would love to think that Spanish is taking over the US, that is fantasy and not reality

Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,589,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Notice how i said important instead of influential.

China is an economic powerhouse. Mandarin has more speakers than spanish, but it is mainly concentrated in south east asia. It is also a hard language making many potential students shy away.

French is extremely influencial throughout the world. Is is the second language in many important international organizations
It is the official language in more than 20 plus countries, but is not the majority language in many of them.

Spanish is the second language most studied worldwide after english. It is an easy language to learn, and efficient making it very practical.

Excuse my grammar, my smartphone is acting stupid.

Although french has a rising population of speakers in africa, spanish has a more faster rising population in latin america with a m higher standard of living, and where spanish is the majority language.

French is a more influential language than spanish in Europe, but still competes with english and german, while it competes with arabic in africa.

While this might not count, spanish and portuguese are the closest languages of the ten more influential languages in world. Giving a spanish speaker potential access to another 200 million people.

Now i know an Englishman might find french more important, but on a global scale which language is the second most important?
Yes of course.

French is not important, I never visit France and don't intend to.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Chinese.
I hate it when people suggest this.

The chinese language is concentrated mostly in China so it is spoken mostly by its citizens and not like other countries like Spanish. So no it isn't a World language.

Nobody hardly speaks Chinese here, I don't even know where you'd go to learn it.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's only one area of the US that speaks Spanish as its primary language and that is Puerto Rico. Nowhere else in the US is Spanish the first language, not even Miami or the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas
No offence but most people don't see Puerto rico as American outside America so it is a different case. It isn't even anywhere near america either.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Ah okay, didn't know that. Frankly, I always thought Spanish had become the first language in Miami and in parts of the southwest such as (parts of) New Mexico, Rio Grande Valley,...
NO!! Where on earth did you get that idea from?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Really? In Florida? Where?

When I visited Palm beach there were only a few Spanish speakers.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,731,425 times
Owen instead of refuting every suggestion, give me some evidence that Chinese isn't the 2nd most important language.

Mandarin Chinese becoming first choice as second language - The Denver Post

'Teach children Mandarin Chinese - or put economy at risk' - Wales News - News - WalesOnline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or