U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: yes or no
Si! 40 48.78%
No way Jose 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,232,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Really? In Florida? Where?

When I visited Palm beach there were only a few Spanish speakers.
Palm Beach proper or West Palm Beach? Palm Beach proper is full of rich people like Rush Limbaugh. WPB on the other hand, though most Spanish speakers are heavily concentrated in M-D County.

Quote:
No offence but most people don't see Puerto rico as American outside America so it is a different case. It isn't even anywhere near america either.
None taken. Used to it , even in a legal sense, Spain recognizes me as an "Iberoamerican" making me eligible for dual Spanish citizenship after 2 years residence in Spain, whereas everyone else in the US and Europe (except Portugal and Andorra) has to wait for 10 and must give up their other citizenship.

Well, neither is Hawaii or Alaska but nobody denies they aren't American. Well, if we become the 51st state maybe then feelings will change

Quote:
I hate it when people suggest this.

The chinese language is concentrated mostly in China so it is spoken mostly by its citizens and not like other countries like Spanish. So no it isn't a World language.

Nobody hardly speaks Chinese here, I don't even know where you'd go to learn it.
Same here. I would say Chinese is the most important language in the world, if they would give up their Chinese characters and Latinize their language. So, based on that alone, Spanish is the most important language as many of the 20 odd countries that speak it are up and coming in the world, being spearheaded by Mexico, Spain, and Argentina. Chile is scheduled to become the first Spanish speaking country since Spain to join the developed world this decade

Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,997,111 times
The only articles I have read from reliable sources say only that Spanish has passed English as the most studied second language today. I think I read that in 2010. That shouldn't surprise anyone since by adding the US to the roles who study Spanish more than any other language the inclusion of the US adds another 310 million possible students of the language.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM

6,772 posts, read 7,535,139 times
traditionally , spanish would have been the second most ( and therefore usefull ) widely spoken language, going forward , chineese is more than likely more of an assett due to its massive growth as an economic power

Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM

20,698 posts, read 25,801,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
The only articles I have read from reliable sources say only that Spanish has passed English as the most studied second language today. I think I read that in 2010. That shouldn't surprise anyone since by adding the US to the roles who study Spanish more than any other language the inclusion of the US adds another 310 million possible students of the language.
Seriously? I find this hard to believe. The U.S. has always studied primarily Spanish as a second language in its schools. Nothing has changed there, there is no sudden upsurge of Spanish second language students.

There is no way Spanish is being studied in lieu of English in Russia, Japan, Germany, France, African countries, the Middle East, etc.

No way.

Maybe Brazil prefers Spanish over English. And even that's a maybe.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM

20,698 posts, read 25,801,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
traditionally , spanish would have been the second most ( and therefore usefull ) widely spoken language, going forward , chineese is more than likely more of an assett due to its massive growth as an economic power
I think that historically it has been French that has been number two globally (at least as a lingua franca and for teaching). And if you go back far enough, it was actually number one.

But at the moment I agree French is on the decline and Spanish is on the upswing. I still think French has a slight edge as a lingua franca on a global scale, though it varies regionally quite a bit.

Obviously French is not as big as Spanish in Latin America, but it is stronger as a lingua franca almost everywhere in Europe, northeastern North America, Africa and the Middle East. And even in certain parts of Oceania.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,997,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Seriously? I find this hard to believe. The U.S. has always studied primarily Spanish as a second language in its schools. Nothing has changed there, there is no sudden upsurge of Spanish second language students.

There is no way Spanish is being studied in lieu of English in Russia, Japan, Germany, France, African countries, the Middle East, etc.

No way.

Maybe Brazil prefers Spanish over English. And even that's a maybe.
I am not trying to be facetious here but let me ask you if you are a teacher of foreign languages? I seriously doubt that French is any longer in any top position as the lingua franca in Europe. It has been in steady decline since the end of the war. I taught in Japan at the Athenee Francais in Tokyo in the 1950's and at that time they had more English classes than they had French classes (survival). Japanese students from Tokyo today tell me that Spanish has been a staple for the institute for as long as they can recall.

You will also see just by checking the world websites for the Spanish government sponsored version of the Athenee, the Instituto Cervantes. It is growing by leaps and bounds while the Athenee is not growing. The Athenee today is as much geared toward teaching the children of French diplomats and overseas French families than it is to FSL. Of course if you live in a Spanish speaking country you won't notice its world wide growth unless you are a teacher looking for work as an instructor of SSL.

There are a lot of reasons why the interest in the Spanish language and Hispanic culture are growing. I am sure we all know this trend will continue and the reasons are obvious.

Chinese? The writing system keeps it where it is as a second language. However if China becomes so powerful that the language cannot be ignored in favor of English things will probably change.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,066,867 times
I heard that there will be more Spanish speakers than English speakers in the United States by 2030?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,232,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I heard that there will be more Spanish speakers than English speakers in the United States by 2030?
No

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,513,770 times
I would have thought Mandarin would have more importance than Spanish nowadays.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,066,867 times
2030 seems very soon but hey you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or