Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times

Advertisements

Yep heard the Beatles one before, Americans will try and claim anything. I could also say where do you think American country musics roots are from. It is commonly thought that British and Irish folk music heavily influenced the development of old time music in the Southern Appalachian Mountains, where the earliest European settlers hailed principally from Northern England, the Scottish Lowlands and Northern Ireland.

And Greeks were the first to study music.

See I can do that to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yep heard the Beatles one before, Americans will try and claim anything. I could also say where do you think American country musics roots are from. It is commonly thought that British and Irish folk music heavily influenced the development of old time music in the Southern Appalachian Mountains, where the earliest European settlers hailed principally from Northern England, the Scottish Lowlands and Northern Ireland.

And Greeks were the first to study music.

See I can do that to!
Americans will try and lay claim to just about everythig - the Beatles, denim jeans, cars, computers, anybody that did anything heroic in the war :-) (isnt there a film they made about the true story of the English codebreakers during the war where they simply made them all American lol, I think it upset some of the real veterens), pizzas, the ENGLISH language etc etc etc. :-D

Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM

I know right!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Just about all music is some kind of fusion. Early American music is influenced by British broadside ballads, Celtic music from Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The Welsh contributed much to American blue grass music and revere it mush. Every year they organize trips to the US for Blue grass festivals. Of course to the Welsh influence is added the banjo , an instrument of African origin. The fusion of European music and African music has become the focal point of what American music is today. In turn that mostly British and African influenced music returned to the UK and was again transformed by the local people into yet another genre.

It was the people who made up the early British rock scene who we can thank for saving a lot of American music and artists from disappearing completely. And this is true of many cultures who have taken an interest in another culture's art and music.

The mixing of musical cultures has produced world music that places Asian instruments along side western influences the was we did 200 years ago in the US with African instruments. Not just the instruments but many of the concepts have fused one with the other. Like the African idea of placing rhythm on top of melody

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I think saying the world is becoming Americanized is kinda offence. The world is becoming more Westernized fused together not Americanized.
As a New Yorker, I agree with this.

To the Americans in this thread, let's not act as if our entire country contributes to this view some of you have.

I think (I'm just speaking from my perspective) only a few cities actually "run" the world. Namely, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo etc. Meaning all of these cities, in some way, are influenced by each other as well as they influence everyone else.

We're masters at advertising/marketing and I think we've mastered the art of "Pop Culture", but by no means does that make us superior.

Lastly only around 5-6 American cities actually export/contribute to this "Americanization" theory/culture. The rest aren't on anyones radar and that's fine, who cares really?

Let's also not mention the fact that when it comes to fashion (on a global scale), we only have 1 Fashion Capital.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Americans will try and lay claim to just about everythig - the Beatles, denim jeans, cars, computers, anybody that did anything heroic in the war :-) (isnt there a film they made about the true story of the English codebreakers during the war where they simply made them all American lol, I think it upset some of the real veterens), pizzas, the ENGLISH language etc etc etc. :-D
Nah, America is just the "straw that stirs the drink". I think that sums it up nicely.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Nah, America is just the "straw that stirs the drink". I think that sums it up nicely.
No its the world who stirs everything up, you really to feul the stereotype you know being obnoxious, ignorant and the world etc etc...

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
No its the world who stirs everything up, you really to feul the stereotype you know being obnoxious, ignorant and the world etc etc...
Lol, who gives a rat's behind? Lol!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Well clearly not you, a stereotypical Bostonian

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Well clearly not you, a stereotypical Bostonian
Actually, with my straw statement I was agreeing with you guys that America takes what the world gives her, stirs it up, and sends it back out. He just didn't seem to grasp that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World