U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:42 PM

16,253 posts, read 21,767,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm formerly French fluent though it's pretty atrophied at the moment. This kind of makes no sense. There are a bunch of French words borrowed into English that I would never pronounce in French.

Some examples:

Information
Attention
Communication
Transformation
Action
Connection
Television
Table
Stable
Adorable
Comfortable
Accessible
Audible
Hospital (well, hôpital)
Forest (forêt)
Menu
Picnic
Restaurant (unless it's a French restaurant)
Champagne

There is a much shorter list of French words I pronounce as French. For example:
Bourgeois
Chauffeur
Deja vu
En route
Fiance
Joie de vivre
A propos
Citroen
Peugeot
Renault
Moet et Chandon

If I'm speaking with someone in English that I know is French-fluent, I'll drop in French phrases but I'm not going to do that with some guy I don't know sitting next to me at the bar.
There's a pattern to this. Most of the words you cited that aren't pronounced the French way have sounds that english speaking mouths don't normally make, or make in that combination. The other ones are pretty much the same sounds as English, though spelled differently so it's easier for the original sounds to persist.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:54 PM

16,253 posts, read 21,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm not part of the 20 something crowd interesting it sounds really superficial and fake to me. I do like reasonable optimism but too much of anything can be tiresome.
I completely agree and so do those of us who aren't part of that. This is usually one way we judge if someone is fake or not. I remember when I got promoted and some were like "that's the best news ever!" I couldn't help but roll my eyes.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or