U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Are you suggesting there aren't any people in foreign countries who are fond of Americans?
If so, he's wrong. You need look no farther then the thread in the Europe forum entitled "Why do the French Hate Americans?" to go get a more nuanced view of foreign attitudes towards America.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
God the whole forum has been hijacked by a few Americans filling it up with "everyone hates us" threads. It's getting old, mundane and sad, honestly - get over yourselves.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,615,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
My own accent is a mix of American and British English, I'm sure it sounds terrible to native speakers, lol. It's the result of learning the "correct" British pronunciation at school and learning the American pronunciation through the media. I think a lot of Europeans have that problem
Exactly the same problem I have . School English = British accent, media = American accent. Result: hybrid accent.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 AM

7,167 posts, read 6,010,671 times
Quote:
As an American born in the midwest, being raised to speak in the generic American accent, I have always had a fascination with other accents across the country and the world. Mainly because there are so many different accents across the world based on location, it's interesting.

I've always had quite an admiration for the sound of a good and educated British accent, but I appreciate the common British accent as well. I also confess that when I was younger I always thought British people sounded more intelligent when they spoke, their accent accentuated the words more so, making it sound better, similar to how most people perceive southerners as slow because of the way they talk.

So I've wondered, I know myself and a lot of other Americans like a good British accent, but how do the British feel about American accents? How do other countries feel about American accents?
There are FAR more than two British accents! and they are not even close sounding to each other either!

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM

797 posts, read 1,327,744 times
I dont think that countries like or dislike accents, rather the people of these countries.

Anyway, if people like American accents or not often seems to depend on whether they were predominantly taught English by teachers who speak American or British accents. If you are used or exposed to American English only you will likely prefer that accent and find the British (or rather English) one strange.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
... How do other countries feel about American accents?
I was born and raised in Western N.Y. and lived most of my adult life in Manhattan, NYC. But I find that where I live in Portugal, at least where I live, people don't recognize my accent as American. The usual guesses are, first - you're not English; then either Canadian or Irish.

Puzzles me. My mother and, thus, most of my maternal relatives, was Canadian, but she had no marked accent. And my background is almost completely Irish, though with no close immigrant relatives. So, I find it difficult to accept that Canadian or Irish influences could have filtered down to my speech.

I knew Portuguese who thought Bush II's accent was humorous, but I think it was just such a contrast the the English accents they usually hear.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There are FAR more than two British accents! and they are not even close sounding to each other either!
Are there ever! The English seem to have more distinct regional accents than centipedes have feet.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree! I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand the Australian accent. I've literally turned documentaries off when I heard the voice-over was Australian. It's the only 'language' in the world I just can't hear for longer than a minute without wanting to punch someone, lol.

The South African accent on the other hand...
That would figure... the SA accent is kind of like how Dutch people speak English...it's unique. Well hopefully we'll never meet, don't want a punch in the face! haha jk Yeah I actually think Americans' infatuation with our accent is a bit odd...we don't get that in Europe.

Here I've seldom heard anyone say they love the American accent, but I've heard some young people using Americanisms like saying 'sher' for sure, or saying 'dude' a lot. I don't like it. I think the only place where the American accent seems really admired is Asia. They often prefer American or Canadian to other English teachers.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM

40,885 posts, read 32,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Ping View Post
Having traveled extensively and lived outside the US, I can state with certainty that anything American is disliked by the educated. As for the uneducated, they have been scammed enough to distrust Americans tremendously. They hear an American accent and they automatically seek retribution. My advice is to leave your accent home and learn at least enough of the language to be polite and to be able to understand, if not speak, the language.
Having lived and traveled extensively outside the US, I can state with certainty that my Southern US accent has never caused me the slightest problem ANYWHERE in the world. My husband has traveled to and worked in over 40 countries and can report the same success - with his Texas drawl.

Nearly every time someone has asked where we're from and we say "Texas," a big grin breaks out across the person's face and we're off into a conversation. Yes - even with well educated, sophisticated people throughout the world.

I will never "leave my accent at home" because it's part of who I am - and people generally respond positively to me, because I am polite and thoughtful enough to learn some basics of the language of each place I visit.

My advice to you would be to treat Americans exactly the way you would like to be treated.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Having lived and traveled extensively outside the US, I can state with certainty that my Southern US accent has never caused me the slightest problem ANYWHERE in the world. My husband has traveled to and worked in over 40 countries and can report the same success - with his Texas drawl.

Nearly every time someone has asked where we're from and we say "Texas," a big grin breaks out across the person's face and we're off into a conversation. Yes - even with well educated, sophisticated people throughout the world.

I will never "leave my accent at home" because it's part of who I am - and people generally respond positively to me, because I am polite and thoughtful enough to learn some basics of the language of each place I visit.

My advice to you would be to treat Americans exactly the way you would like to be treated.
Amen to that! I hate it when people purposely try to change or water down their accent to sound more intelligent or because there's a social stigma attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or