U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
It's not that surprising considering your patterns of speech are mainly learned in your early years and are pretty hard to change once you reach adulthood. I think most people's accents do change to the extent that they will sound kind of 'foreign' both in their adopted and birth countries.
Yes I've heard this 'hybrid accent' among some immigrants here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
The American standard accent is far nicer and intelligible that the English standard accent. The Queen's English sounds truly idiotic.

I love American English spoken by old and cultured blacks, Morgan Freeman, etc.
That statement sounds idiotic.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM

13,817 posts, read 12,600,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I've never had anyone really notice my accent as American (I'm from Texas and sound very much like it). In Southern Italy, many thought I was German (probably due to my looks - blond/blue eyes), I really think that people are more genuine than to judge someone on their accent. They may play the game where they try to figure out where you are from (we all do that), but good people will not attach preconceived notions to an accent.
I don't think people are judged on their accents alone - there should be more things *attached* to that accent in a person...

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,858,152 times
i like the english accent better than the australian accent.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,977,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I personally dislike the American accent. I prefer Aussie accents sounds more genuine
Which specific Aussie accent do you prefer? There are several.

When I lived down under, I was told several times "love your accent". AFter several years my accent started changing and I stopped getting those comments. LOL.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM

6,767 posts, read 7,482,828 times
i like it pretty well , i love the southern accent , the new york accent is ok , as is the west coast , i dont like the boston accent , dont care for mid west accents either

Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 AM

6,767 posts, read 7,482,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
The American standard accent is far nicer and intelligible that the English standard accent. The Queen's English sounds truly idiotic.

I love American English spoken by old and cultured blacks, Morgan Freeman, etc.

i like the " queens english " accent

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,452,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Which specific Aussie accent do you prefer? There are several.

When I lived down under, I was told several times "love your accent". AFter several years my accent started changing and I stopped getting those comments. LOL.
Well I overhear (not watch) Neighbours and home and away and the accent sounds so well I can't really explain.
My teacher was from Brisbane and I loved her accent

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,003,698 times
One thing I'm curious about is do people from other countries even hear the differences between people from other regions of the US. At least to me as an American it seems that there are HUGE differences. I am a Southerner and thus have a southern drawl. On the other hand I have friends from Minnesota where part of their accent comes from Norwegian and Swiss settlers as does their manner of speaking. Then there's the accents of the Northeast where you have Boston, Brooklyn, and the Bronx accent. Then there's coastal California and even central California. A whole lot of very different accents.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
One thing I'm curious about is do people from other countries even hear the differences between people from other regions of the US. At least to me as an American it seems that there are HUGE differences. I am a Southerner and thus have a southern drawl. On the other hand I have friends from Minnesota where part of their accent comes from Norwegian and Swiss settlers as does their manner of speaking. Then there's the accents of the Northeast where you have Boston, Brooklyn, and the Bronx accent. Then there's coastal California and even central California. A whole lot of very different accents.
I think to most foreigners any type of American accent will sound weird, no matter if it's Texan or New England, this is primarily because most Europeans when learning English, learn the British way of speaking. They are more accustomed to learning from someone with a British accent, so when they speak their accent will have a tinge of Britt about it. This is why most foreign accents sound so odd to us, because not only is English their second language, but it's been mixed with the british accent. Foreigners who learn English in the United States, or from an American instructor, will have a less harsh accent to American ears.

Based on that I do not believe most foreigners would initially pick up on the various accents within the United States, as they ALL sound off compared to what they know. IF they moved to the United States and stayed here long enough, they would eventually pick up on the accents and learn the differences between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or