Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,480,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Don't tell them you're from Latin America. Say Argentina. And as pointed out the Latin America = Mexico isn't true everywhere in the country, particularly the Northeast. But there people might assume Latin America = Caribbean, or maybe Central America. Which isn't much better.
I ve never said "Latin America". I said "argentina" and they ask "where is that? is that latin america" and i said "yes" and they procceed to ask about the bull fights, the lack of hat, and the ligther skin.

But i lived in Minneapolis when i was there, maybe if i go to the west coast it would be different? I DREAM with going to New York!!

In europe, when i said i was from Argentina, people knew my country, mentioned Buenos Aires, spoke spanish, and talked about Messi. I was shocked. Particullary with french people, they seemed to know all about my country. Dutch people too, but its more understandable since they have an argentinian queen to be (Máxima).

The first thing they asked in europe when i said "Argentina" was "oh, are you from Buenos Aires?".
The first thing they asked in USA when i said i was from "Argentina" was "is that in mexico, is it in Brazil, where is your hat?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,170,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im really tired of being reading a perfectly interesting thread on city data, and ALWAYS coming across several post that treat "hispanic" as a race. And i mean many. Hundreds of posts are written in every forum of this site everyday just assuming hispanic is a race. People keep assuming hispanic is a race and grouping it together with other races, like black, white or asian. I ve never seen any mistake that was so commonly spread among people than this one.

I mean, i would guess that 80% of americans think hispanic if a race, if i would have to guide myself by city-data. Whatever topic they might be discussing, no matter how smart posters have proven to be regarding other issues, they ALWAYS make this mistake. Its the most common mistake across city-data.

I wonder: would it ever be understood, or americans will keep saying "hispanic" as a way to talk about amerindian, mulatos, mestizos, etc??

Is it too hard to say "amerindian"???

I dont know, im just asking.

Cause its really annoying to be reading and always come across this mistake. No one seems to be able to acknowledge it, either.
It's like people all over the planet referring to U.S. citizens as Americans. There's nothing American about us, excepting for native Indians, which I suppose would make Elizabeth Warren one of the few white Americans in the country.

I take an 'Hispanic' as a person with some relativity to Spain. I would never call an American Indian a hispanic.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
It's like people all over the planet referring to U.S. citizens as Americans. There's nothing American about us, excepting for native Indians, which I suppose would make Elizabeth Warren one of the few white Americans in the country.

Actually, NO ONE in the american continent refeers to people from USA as "Americans". We call you "estadounidenses" (estados unidos is "united states" in spanish).
The ones that started calling themselves "americans" are people from USA, and thats actually another complicated topic for some people.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, NO ONE in the american continent refeers to people from USA as "Americans". We call you "estadounidenses" (estados unidos is "united states" in spanish).
The ones that started calling themselves "americans" are people from USA, and thats actually another complicated topic for some people.
Not to be obstinate, but people all over north America and many in Europe refer to US citizens as Americans, this forum a prime example. I recognize your ties to Argentina, and you may be referring to South America, and I appreciate that. Would be good if all 'Americans' were as internationally adept as yourself. But most 'Americans' get their talking points from a poorly informed media. Ask any Canadian.

And my apologies, I do not intend to divert the attention away from a misuse of the term 'Hispanic'. Seems it's currently the easiest and most readily usable word most would understand.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Not to be obstinate, but people all over north America and many in Europe refer to US citizens as Americans, this forum a prime example. I recognize your ties to Argentina, and you may be referring to South America, and I appreciate that. Would be good if all 'Americans' were as internationally adept as yourself. But most 'Americans' get their talking points from a poorly informed media. Ask any Canadian.
Yeah, i refeered to south america

but arent people from usa the one that like to be called Americans?
I read them defending the term here in city-data.
Are you american?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:27 PM

4,615 posts, read 12,218,668 times
For whatever reason I have a fascination with Spanish speaking cultures, Catholic church, and the migration (conquer of) to the America's (I have Norwegian heritage). Maybe, because I grew up in California? Anyway, it's my understanding that Hispanic is defined in the US as a ethnic category, or anyone derived from a Spanish speaking culture. Hispanic being different from Latino which includes all Latin based languages in the America's.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Are you american?
I was born in Texas, as were my parents and grandparents. Beyond that most of my family came from somewhere the other side of the Atlantic.

I recognize myself as a Texan with U.S. citizenship. My passport recognizes me as a Citizen of the United States of America.

Where you read some defending being called 'American', you might find me disputing that term.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:32 PM

4,615 posts, read 12,218,668 times
Quote:

Are you american?
The USA has adopted America almost as a slang version of the United States of America. Our national anthem begins with "God bless America". I think others in the America's mistakenly take it out of context.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,389,493 times
I started a thread about the "Americans" issue
United Statians?

People from the United States are Americans, People from Brazil are Brazilian.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 100,712 times
American's seem really ignorant about Europeans in General and many Americans can't even find those countries on a map if asked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World