Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
This is not about Argentina, Latin America is not only Argentina: there are 21 countries here. USA might be the most important country in the world: but does that make it cool to deprive 21 countries of their own identity???

You are saying being unbelievably ignorant is ok just cause you are a superpower??

You are saying that latinamerican countries, for not being powerful, dont deserve an identity??
Uhhhhh, no, I am not saying that. If I was saying it, I would just come out and say it.

All I said was that we have to put things in perspective.

You want so badly to be understood - maybe you should also try to understand the perspective of others. I'm just trying to explain the difference in the mindsets of different groups of people. Not saying it's right or wrong - just trying to understand WHY.

"Seek first to understand" is one of my favorite mottos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I just wondered the same thing. There is a thread going on in the P and C forum about whites becoming a minority in the Usa,but I tried to tell then lots of hispanics are white,and got slammed by many,saying that hispanics aren't white. In other words,whites will still be a majority,but with a different ethnicity(Spanish vs German,for instance)
I'm sorry,but most do look white,in my eyes anyway.
Lots of people don't want to admit hispanics can be white.
Just try telling both some blacks and whites that Puerto Ricans are majority white(and look it) and the claws come out.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
That's ridiculous calling either Chipotle or Taco Bell in anyway shape or form Mexican food. Every Mexican person I know is offended at such a calamity. That's fast food Americana garbage.
umm...chipotle is all organic. thats not really garbage to me

Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I just wondered the same thing. There is a thread going on in the P and C forum about whites becoming a minority in the Usa,but I tried to tell then lots of hispanics are white,and got slammed by many,saying that hispanics aren't white. In other words,whites will still be a majority,but with a different ethnicity(Spanish vs German,for instance)
Just try telling both some blacks and whites that Puerto Ricans are majority white(and look it) and the claws come out.

see? this is what im talking about.

thanks jerseygirl4u

Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Uhhhhh, no, I am not saying that. If I was saying it, I would just come out and say it.

All I said was that we have to put things in perspective.

You want so badly to be understood - maybe you should also try to understand the perspective of others. I'm just trying to explain the difference in the mindsets of different groups of people. Not saying it's right or wrong - just trying to understand WHY.

"Seek first to understand" is one of my favorite mottos.

Im trying to understand it, thats one of the reasons i created this thread.

What i dont understand is the concept of "others perspective" related to this matter. You mean theres a perspective that supports being ignorant?

I thought this was a matter of right or wrong. Latin Americans being mistaked and treated as Mexicans IS wrong, theres no other way to look at it.

Im trying to understand why this mistake is commited, and why many people refuse to fix it.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
How wrong I was! So I'm a little more forgiving to Americans who think most Latin Americans are mixed rather than being "pure white" if that's all they're exposed to.

Its not all they are exposed to!!
Dont you know the hate there is going on for ilegal aliens in USA?? And those are an hispanic majority!! You just have to check the political and controversies forum.
If you are an hispanic you are probably an ilegal.
And you eat mexican food
wear hats
watch bull fights
and dont have any possibly culture of your own other than "mexican culture"

There is a very NEGATIVE perception of the "hispanic" person in USA, and, yeah, that perception haves nothing to do with the majority of latinamerican countries.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
Its not all they are exposed to!!
Dont you know the hate there is going on for ilegal aliens in USA?? And those are an hispanic majority!! You just have to check the political and controversies forum.
If you are an hispanic you are probably an ilegal.
And you eat mexican food
wear hats
watch bull fights
and dont have any possibly culture of your own other than "mexican culture"

There is a very NEGATIVE perception of the "hispanic" person in USA, and, yeah, that perception haves nothing to do with the majority of latinamerican countries.
To be fair, I wouldn't take the POC forum as representative for the US. I'm pretty sure the people there don't like anyone who isn't a deeply conservative Republican from the South.

What I'm saying is that it makes sense for people to generalize based on what they're exposed to - even if it isn't "right" to do so. Europeans do the same thing, except they overestimate how "white" most LA countries are culturally and ethnically. It's usually not done with malicious intent, it's just ignorance.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is so true. Even I get slammed for being a racist and ethnocentric for pointing out factual errors and just pointing out plain old stupidity. Unfortunately, to many Americans, especially the Old Angry White Male caricature, if you don't have blue or green eyes, light brown, blond, or red hair and pale skin you aren't white no matter what, except if your last name is Burlesconi or Lucceti. Hell, at one point in the US, Italians weren't even considered white. Later they were considered white but not "proper/real white" and now they are white. White latinos (people like Marco Rubio or Puerto Rico's current governor) are going through the same thing that Italian immigrants from Calabria and Sicily experienced back in the 1800s.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM

LindavG: But even people thats not ignorant use the term "hispanic" to refeer to a race, cause its easy.

These people could use the correct term, but they chose not to, and thats what i fail to understand.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
but its all over city-data!
check out that thread spain vs mexico, or the guy asking in the fashion forum of model men of any race (putting hispanic as a race), or other millons of examples in this forum and all forums.

a lot of americans even admited that is the case in this thread!!

the mistaking hispanic for a race happens ALL THE TIME HERE. I cant count how many times ive corrected it, and i only do it 1% of the times i see it, otherwise correcting the issue would have to be a 24/7 job.
I can't speak for the other posters who commented on this thread so far but I have already explained some of the key of reasons(back on pg.4) as to why many Americans would consider Hispanic a racial group. The reality of it is that in the US, Hispanics have been marginalized and have experienced racial discrimination like many other racial groups have throughout the history of this country. You have to understand the historical aspect of it. Even though the US Census does not officially consider Hispanic a race, they still had to fight tooth and nails for equality as they where not considered white by many White Americans.

Like I said before, Hispanics might just as well be considered a racial group because in reality American society treats them as such. The example I posted earlier in the thread about the proposed Arizona Law was a perfect example of racial hostility involving Hispanics. Not to mention Hispanics are able to apply for things like minority scholarships and there are groups like "The National Council of LA Raza" and Brown Bride which are clearly race conscious organizations. I have heard many people(as well as Hispanics themselves) say that Hispanics are now the largest racial group in the United States. Any American poster on here would be lying if they said they had never heard that phrase being said on any media outlet.

I'm willing to bet that if you asked most Hispanic Americans "If they consider Hispanic to be a racial group that is separate from White, Black, Asian, etc. many will probably say yes. You are right in that the term "Hispanic" is technically not a race but I understand why Americans might view Hispanic as a racial group. I think it has less to do with ignorance and more with the complexities of race in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World