Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM

26,878 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How about French-Canadians?
French Canadians have their own series of hang-ups, every bit as numerous as those of English-speaking Canadians, but being mistaken or thought of as identical to Americans is not one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

139 posts, read 328,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
United States of the America is the official name of the country but its easier to just say "America"

Saying "Im from the United States of America" takes too long and doesnt have a good ring to it.
Most just say "I'm from the United States" or "I'm from America"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I'm overseas, it honestly never occurs to me to tell people, "I'm from America." Even saying it aloud right now sounds stupid. Most Americans I know (using the term as it's commonly used worldwide by US citizens and others) would say, "I'm from the States," or "I'm from the US." Or "I'm from Texas" or "California" or whatever.

It's usually the OTHER person, from the OTHER country that says, "Oh, you're AMERICAN."

In other words, it's a two way street - we're not the only people perpetrating that phrase - it's in common usage by people all over the world when describing someone from the United States of America.

Maybe it's because Canadians and Mexicans and other people from Central or South America don't have the word "America" in the formal name of their country. Anyone ever think of that possibility? It's the shortened version of the LONG name of our country.
I agree completely KathrynAragon. I don't say I am from America. I usually say that I am from the States or the US. And if they don't understand US then I say I am from the United States.

It is the other people saying oh you are from America. If I am in a country for a while and I know everyone refers to my country as America then yes I will start saying I am from America because that is what they call it. But I only say that when they look at me funny when I use the other terms.

iNviNciBL3 I don't think it sounds weird at all to say "I am from the United States" but just saying the States is shorter and what I use most of the time. In fact I learned it from people abroad.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
I agree completely KathrynAragon. I don't say I am from America. I usually say that I am from the States or the US. And if they don't understand US then I say I am from the United States.

It is the other people saying oh you are from America. If I am in a country for a while and I know everyone refers to my country as America then yes I will start saying I am from America because that is what they call it. But I only say that when they look at me funny when I use the other terms.

iNviNciBL3 I don't think it sounds weird at all to say "I am from the United States" but just saying the States is shorter and what I use most of the time. In fact I learned it from people abroad.
Well, amen to this. Common sense CAN rear it's head around here!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
When I'm overseas, it honestly never occurs to me to tell people, "I'm from America." Even saying it aloud right now sounds stupid. Most Americans I know (using the term as it's commonly used worldwide by US citizens and others) would say, "I'm from the States," or "I'm from the US." Or "I'm from Texas" or "California" or whatever.

It's usually the OTHER person, from the OTHER country that says, "Oh, you're AMERICAN."

In other words, it's a two way street - we're not the only people perpetrating that phrase - it's in common usage by people all over the world when describing someone from the United States of America.

Maybe it's because Canadians and Mexicans and other people from Central or South America don't have the word "America" in the formal name of their country. Anyone ever think of that possibility? It's the shortened version of the LONG name of our country.
The name 'United States' refers to a concept of 'federation', many states with self government and some degree of autonomy, that are then 'united'. Thus, this denomination is common amongst countries formed by a union of states, like Mexico - its official name is 'Estados Unidos Mexicanos' ('Mexican United States'). Brazil, which also follows this model, was until the 70s called officially 'United States of Brazil' (currently is 'Federative Republic of Brazil'). By analogy, it's reasonable to suppose that people from USA want to call his country as 'America', though it's improper. Germans use to call people from USA as 'US-amerikanisch'.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The name 'United States' refers to a concept of 'federation', many states with self government and some degree of autonomy, that are then 'united'. Thus, this denomination is common amongst countries formed by a union of states, like Mexico - its official name is 'Estados Unidos Mexicanos' ('Mexican United States'). Brazil, which also follows this model, was until the 70s called officially 'United States of Brazil' (currently is 'Federative Republic of Brazil'). By analogy, it's reasonable to suppose that people from USA want to call his country as 'America', though it's improper. Germans use to call people from USA as 'US-amerikanisch'.
LOL all I can tell you is what I said earlier - that we are the only country in North, South, or Central America with the word "America" in the official name of our country.

I used to live in Germany and still visit there fairly often. Germans generally call US citizens "Amerikaner" though sometimes they embellish that phrase as "Stupidische Amerikaner." They're such a warm, tolerant bunch, those crazy Germans!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
LOL all I can tell you is what I said earlier - that we are the only country in North, South, or Central America with the word "America" in the official name of our country.

I used to live in Germany and still visit there fairly often. Germans generally call US citizens "Amerikaner" though sometimes they embellish that phrase as "Stupidische Amerikaner." They're such a warm, tolerant bunch, those crazy Germans!
As I'm not from USA (no, I don't mind calling people from USA as americans), I never heard how they actually call you, but at least the german and austrian media use often the word 'US-amerikanisch', or 'US-amerikaner' for people.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
As I'm not from USA (no, I don't mind calling people from USA as americans), I never heard how they actually call you, but at least the german and austrian media use often the word 'US-amerikanisch', or 'US-amerikaner' for people.

The usage of the phrase is rare and decreasing:

Google Translate

This is a really funny article about the UNPOPULAR usage of the phrase "US - Amerikanisch:"
- no title specified

I was curious so I googled the term. Actually I couldn't find a single example of the usage of the term by German or Austrian media, but I freely admit my search efforts could have been hampered by language barriers. If you can find examples, I'd sure like to see them.

Meanwhile, it was very interesting to read the translated version of the article in German Wiki about the US. Go check out the translation of the German Wiki stuff about the UK if you're interested. STRANGE.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
@Kathryn. "US-Amerikanisch"/"US-Amerikaner" is only preferred by the intellectual left in Germany and Austria. Der Spiegel, rather left-of-center itself, uses it in some articles. Note that I'm more on the left myself, so this isn't a political tirade on my part. I'm glad the term has made such little progress in the German-speaking world.

At least the German expression includes the word "American." The French term états-unien, modeled after Spanish estadounidense, is a callous attempt by some on the left in French-speaking countries to strip the imperialists of their historical name. Fortunately, this neologism has not been widely accepted by French-speakers; it's only really used by the most extreme of periodicals and organizations (all of them various shades of anti-American). After long debate in the French Wikipedia community in 2007-8, the official vote was overwhelmingly to retain américain in all articles about the United States. Newspapers in Quebec have debated the term as well, with a selection of opinions in the Letters to the Editor sections. Again, there was overwhelming support to keep américain as the standard. People realized who the name-changers were and why they were lobbying to ban "American." To me, these folks have something in common with the old communist regimes who once renamed St. Petersburg, Volgograd and Chemnitz as Leningrad, Stalingrad and Karl-Marx-Stadt. Bitterness, resentment and even retaliation.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Kathryn. "US-Amerikanisch"/"US-Amerikaner" is only preferred by the intellectual left in Germany and Austria. Der Spiegel, rather left-of-center itself, uses it in some articles. Note that I'm more on the left myself, so this isn't a political tirade on my part. I'm glad the term has made such little progress in the German-speaking world.

At least the German expression includes the word "American." The French term états-unien, modeled after Spanish estadounidense, is a callous attempt by some on the left in French-speaking countries to strip the imperialists of their historical name. Fortunately, this neologism has not been widely accepted by French-speakers; it's only really used by the most extreme of periodicals and organizations (all of them various shades of anti-American). After long debate in the French Wikipedia community in 2007-8, the official vote was overwhelmingly to retain américain in all articles about the United States. Newspapers in Quebec have debated the term as well, with a selection of opinions in the Letters to the Editor sections. Again, there was overwhelming support to keep américain as the standard. People realized who the name-changers were and why they were lobbying to ban "American." To me, these folks have something in common with the old communist regimes who once renamed St. Petersburg, Volgograd and Chemnitz as Leningrad, Stalingrad and Karl-Marx-Stadt. Bitterness, resentment and even retaliation.
I agree. That being said, I would like to see some examples of German articles using the phrase "US-Amerikanisch." I couldn't find any.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
I agree. That being said, I would like to see some examples of German articles using the phrase "US-Amerikanisch." I couldn't find any.
That's odd. I found this is a few seconds.

DER SPIEGEL*5/2013 - Rückkehr einer Ikone

From the above link.

"Rückkehr einer Ikone

Ein US-amerikanisch-chinesisches Expeditionsteam hat in einer menschenleeren Region des tibetischen Qinghai-Plateaus fast tausend freilebende Y"

There a quite a few others but mostly wiki articles and blogs, and interestingly if you use free translation.com and have it translate "US-amerikanisch" to english it translates it as " American". So the circle begins again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World