U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,859,454 times

Advertisements

That is mostly for social networking, friends, and getting to know the people there, so not just romantic relationships. The topic is about everything related to people scene.

What are some of the unique and impressive, specific characteristics in people you noticed for each country?

My top 15 favorite countries for People Scene: 1. France 2. Taiwan 3. Netherlands 4. Austria 5. Sweden 6. China 7. Thailand 8. India 9. Australia 10. Argentina 11. Italy 12. Spain 13. USA 14. Singapore 15. Switzerland.

I met good people with plenty of good characteristics about them from almost every country. However, some countries have a much higher percentage of those kind of people, so a few generalizations based on country/nationality/ethnicity is able to be said and focus on for a new entertaining topic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,101,444 times
Uk

Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,428,065 times
I dont know why but i tend to find BRITTISH people to be awesome. I ve met a few and they all were fun/nice.
Also, Italians, i was there last year meeting a bunch of relatives and i like how they are very family oriented.
People from my country is very friendly too, in general
People in Netherlands seemed to be VERY friendly when i was there.
There are thousands of Colombians living in Buenos Aires, and they are so nice! Nicest among the latinamericans, imo. Tied with argentinians.
Ive met people from USA here too, and they seemed cool as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I dont know why but i tend to find BRITTISH people to be awesome. I ve met a few and they all were fun/nice.
Also, Italians, i was there last year meeting a bunch of relatives and i like how they are very family oriented.
People from my country is very friendly too, in general
People in Netherlands seemed to be VERY friendly when i was there.
There are thousands of Colombians living in Buenos Aires, and they are so nice! Nicest among the latinamericans, imo. Tied with argentinians.
Ive met people from USA here too, and they seemed cool as well.
People from Netherlands, Argentina, and Italy also made my top 15 list for the People scene and have a very high rank for this topic. Netherlands 3rd place, Argentina 10th, and Italy 11th.

Dutch, Argentines, and Italians are usually so much fun to be around, have a unique character and personality for nationality, seem very well balanced and consistent in national personality. They are friendly, easygoing people.

I had very mixed encounters with British people. I met plenty of friendly, exciting, good people from UK, but at the same time also some other people from there that was actually the opposite of those qualities. I also find some British people unpredictable in character and personality for modern times. However, UK would at least be in the top 20 list, if not top 15.

That is a surprise you have those opinions for Colombians. Maybe the Colombians are very different in Argentina compared to USA? I had the opposite experience with Colombians in USA and most that I met were not friendly, very low class, and only wanted to be around other Colombians/people from neighboring countries.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
People from Netherlands, Argentina, and Italy also made my top 15 list for the People scene and have a very high rank for this topic. Netherlands 3rd place, Argentina 10th, and Italy 11th.

Dutch, Argentines, and Italians are usually so much fun to be around, have a unique character and personality for nationality, seem very well balanced and consistent in national personality. They are friendly, easygoing people.

I had very mixed encounters with British people. I met plenty of friendly, exciting, good people from UK, but at the same time also some other people from there that was actually the opposite of those qualities. I also find some British people unpredictable in character and personality for modern times. However, UK would at least be in the top 20 list, if not top 15.

That is a surprise you have those opinions for Colombians. Maybe the Colombians are very different in Argentina compared to USA? I had the opposite experience with Colombians in USA and most that I met were not friendly, very low class, and only wanted to be around other Colombians/people from neighboring countries.
TPTPATF nice to see you in world forum again!!

That is true, dutch, argentinians and italians are fun!! Even the latinamericans that criticize argentinians for whatever reason, they recognize they are fun to be around. I had the same impression of italians (maybe argentinians are like this also for bieng majority italians and our culture so italian?), and dutch people seem fun/nice/friendly. Argentinians Italians and dutch are easy to get along, chatty and just overall fun, imo.

Interesting your experiences with the brittish: im sure you have met many more brittish people than me, having being there and all. Ive only met a few in life, probably less than 10. I would like to go to London one day and see how they really are, cause right now im probably idealizing them, since i love their culture so much

wow, so weird about your colombian experiences! Maybe it has to do for the type of colombians that go there. You know, maybe the colombians that go to USA are different than the ones to come here. The other day i read in a newspaper than Colombians today are NUMBER ONE in terms of quantity of people coming here to study. Since college eduaction in Colombia is VERY expensive and not on good quality, and college education in Argentina is FREE and one of the best in Latin America in terms of quality, Colombians came here, study in UBA (University in buenos aires) get a prestiguios title for free, and meanwhile learn about other culture and enjoy the city. All Colombians i met (many) say this about the quality of education here, and the fact that is free. So most colombians here come to study and are actually interested in getting mixed with argentinians all the time and getting to know them. Thats what makes them nice too.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
TPTPATF nice to see you in world forum again!!

That is true, dutch, argentinians and italians are fun!! Even the latinamericans that criticize argentinians for whatever reason, they recognize they are fun to be around. I had the same impression of italians (maybe argentinians are like this also for bieng majority italians and our culture so italian?), and dutch people seem fun/nice/friendly. Argentinians Italians and dutch are easy to get along, chatty and just overall fun, imo.

Interesting your experiences with the brittish: im sure you have met many more brittish people than me, having being there and all. Ive only met a few in life, probably less than 10. I would like to go to London one day and see how they really are, cause right now im probably idealizing them, since i love their culture so much

wow, so weird about your colombian experiences! Maybe it has to do for the type of colombians that go there. You know, maybe the colombians that go to USA are different than the ones to come here. The other day i read in a newspaper than Colombians today are NUMBER ONE in terms of quantity of people coming here to study. Since college eduaction in Colombia is VERY expensive and not on good quality, and college education in Argentina is FREE and one of the best in Latin America in terms of quality, Colombians came here, study in UBA (University in buenos aires) get a prestiguios title for free, and meanwhile learn about other culture and enjoy the city. All Colombians i met (many) say this about the quality of education here, and the fact that is free. So most colombians here come to study and are actually interested in getting mixed with argentinians all the time and getting to know them. Thats what makes them nice too.
That is also good and exciting to see you posting in the World forum too, SophieLL.

The World forum is so important and empowering for the people that post in this forum and the better place for getting to really know areas of the world very well compared to the corrupted news media/watching tv. I donít even watch the news media in the USA anymore because it became so corrupted, low quality, trashy, and just bad news.

It is so addicting in a good way to post in the World forum. No wonder I have 825 posts in the past 2 years.

Yeah, the Dutch, Argentines, and Italians definitely are some of the best for people scene for plenty of reasons related to character, personality, and being fun, easy to get along with, nice, and friendly.

I used to overly idealize UK/England. However, that actually did not start happening until 2 years after I visited. I just changed some of my opinions for England all of a sudden, and now have more mixed opinions for that place. I love France and some other European countries more than UK/England.

However, maybe even when you visit UK you might continue to always have the same opinions for British people and enjoy UK as much as your trip to France, Netherlands, and Italy.

The Colombians that go to Argentina are certainly different compared to the Colombians that are in USA for the reasons that you said. They study abroad in Argentina for college and are middle to upper class while the Colombians that go to USA are just lower class and donít go as much into the same privileged opportunities and sociological groups.

All the Americans I know that went to Argentina like it there and have a pleasant experience. I know I would love visiting Argentina and living there too. How are the Americans that you met in Argentina?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,656,030 times
Im growing really fond of Argentinians, thanks to SophieLL cos she is one of the 'few' to say nice things about us British! :-)

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

6,633 posts, read 8,340,323 times
No particular order (excluding my country of birth: Singapore and my country "home country": United States):
United Kingdom
Germany
South Korea
Japan
Australia
Canada
India
China
Poland
Mexico

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-09-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,823,188 times
I'm reflecting both to people that I've met home and abroad, and at the same time I don't want to insult anyone. I've had good experiences of almost all nationalities I've met, but few stand out.

Danes, Dutch, Germans and Spaniards are particularly entertaining, casual, friendly and relaxed. The French have got a bit of a poor reputation somtimes, but French people I've met in Finland have been very friendly, civilized and a lot of fun.
Although I'm not specifically that fond of UK and Ireland, the people from the islands I've met have been generally very nice.

On the other hand, Italians have a reputation of being very funny and outgoing, but I've found them a bit shy and introverted. Perhaps it's just me and that they haven't been really comfortable using English.

Americans seem to be a very strange bunch. I've met these really annoying, rude and arrogant tourists, empty-headed Valley girls, and some of the nicest and pleasant people I know.

I've had good experiences from Pakistanis, Turks, Japanese etc, but it's a bit harder to 'get in tune' with them, as they aren't really westerners.

So,

1. Danes
---
999. Swedes

Just kidding. The Swedes are a much fun as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im growing really fond of Argentinians, thanks to SophieLL cos she is one of the 'few' to say nice things about us British! :-)
yay! I love tue UK, i will never get tired of saying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
All the Americans I know that went to Argentina like it there and have a pleasant experience. I know I would love visiting Argentina and living there too. How are the Americans that you met in Argentina?
generally they are very cool people. They are here to learn and getting to know the people, and also to live (theres a pretty big usa expat community here in argentina, mostly in BA) and get to know the place. What i notice about them is that at first they LOVE the city (BA, that is) and are so excited about it, and about the people, and everything that goes on here. But if theyve lived here a few years their views start getting more realistic and they complain about the chaos, goverment, etc, just like a typical argentina. But the ones i met were all interesting people. Last year i went to a goodbye party of one 25 year old guy from USA (he was from washington) that was working for the US embassy and living in a 1300 sq feet AMAZING appartment in a 30th floor building with a view of the city to kill for. A 5 bedroom place (for him alone) he lived like a KING, and threw the best partys!!! He was sad cause he had to go back to washington to a tiny 90feet appartment and live like a normal person guy, while here he lived as a king! But of course i guess living like a king could make you love ANY city. He loved the people here too, and in that party i chat with other americans as well, they were so much fun and curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or