Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times

Advertisements

I would say in most of Europe asking the visitors to take off their shoes would be considered very rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
I only take them off if your house is warm and clean.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
As far as I know Sweden and Canada. It probably has something to do with the weather as well. Nobody really wants to walk into someone's home after having walked in the snow. Even at work in Sweden people usually keep a pair of indoor shoes to walk around in.

When I am in the US and Australia the hosts usually insist that I can keep my shoes on (I am thinking to be polite).
Indoor shoes are also more comfortable at work than winter shoes.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
In Australia it's normal for visitors to wear shoes in the house. Personally I rarely wear shoes in my house as it just feels more comfortable for me with the added benefit of being cleaner. Also grew up with a "no shoes in the house policy" . I don't find it rude though if guests wear their shoes when visiting, whatever they feel comfortable with is fine.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
People leave their shoes on inside?
Keeping shoes on is disgusting, what if its raining and ....
Not to mention hardwood floors get ruined, etc !
Does no one use welcome mats and throw rugs anymore? You wipe your feet outside, and again inside! Muddy shoes/snow boots get taken off, but that's it.

In my entire life, I've never been over to someone's house and been required to take off my shoes. I've never known anyone who did not wear shoes in their own house, either.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Finland.

Come to my house and keep your shoes on, and you will vacuum the floors and take out the mats before you leave. If I'm kind, I will politely tell you to take off your shoes, otherwise I'll just speak bad things about you behind your back after you leave.

So, please take off your shoes when you come in. Bring your indoor shoes or flip flops with you, or if the floor feels cold, I have extra woolen socks.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Yes, take you shoes off! I do not want my floor covered with this. The picture is from Oslo, Norway.

Some of my friends and family got heated floors. That is very nice during the winter.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Its standard practice in Canada.

When I watch those real estate TV shows, I cringe as the salesperson allows the prospective buyers to waltz around someone else's house with their shoes on. Talk about showing "no respect ' " to a stranger's home.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
As far as I know Sweden and Canada. It probably has something to do with the weather as well. Nobody really wants to walk into someone's home after having walked in the snow. Even at work in Sweden people usually keep a pair of indoor shoes to walk around in.

When I am in the US and Australia the hosts usually insist that I can keep my shoes on (I am thinking to be polite).
Not just from outside but what if you've recently visited a public restroom with the usual residue on the floor under the wall mounted urinals; gonna willingly track that stuff into your home, then let your child crawl on the same carpet?

Travelling in some countries reveals the nasty habit some have of expectorating/spitting.

Imagine people chewing tobacco and spitting that goop wherever they walk for you to step on and track into your car or home.

If the hosts say "leave your shoes on" and they are wearing theirs, there is no way in hell I'm taking mine off to walk on their floors with just my socks. Floors may look clean but the crap that can be on them from outside sidewalks and the like without being visible is not going to end up in my shoes or later being taken into my home.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Does no one use welcome mats and throw rugs anymore? You wipe your feet outside, and again inside! Muddy shoes/snow boots get taken off, but that's it.

In my entire life, I've never been over to someone's house and been required to take off my shoes. I've never known anyone who did not wear shoes in their own house, either.
What, you mean actual outdoor shoes as opposed to slippers? While you're having breakfast, doing the laundry or watching TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World