U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your preference among the four?
Lyon 2 7.41%
New Orleans 6 22.22%
Nice 13 48.15%
Québec City 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times

Advertisements

These French European cities versus two French "influenced" North American cities.

They will be compared on:

- Most vibrant
- Architecture
- Educational institutions
- Cultural institutions
- Shopping
- Dining
- Foods
- Economic strength (industries, average wages, educational attainment, so on)
- Nearby scenery
- Safety
- Unique neighborhoods
- Parks
- Suburbs
Pictures will come once thread kicks into gear. Also, if I left it off from the criteria and it's something you want to include then by all means, feel very free.

Your choice to live? To visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 AM

2,872 posts, read 3,787,435 times
I'm a bit biaised since I used to live in Nice. In terms of climate, situation between Mountain and sea, landscape of the surroundings, sunshine, vegetation Nice in unbeatable by any of these. Lyon is bigger and has a lot of attractive point but lack the exceptional location Nice does have.

Quebec city and New Orleans are not really to compare; like apple to oranges. North American cities that does have a historic city core, but still are very northern American in almot all points (especially NO)

Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I'm a bit biaised since I used to live in Nice. In terms of climate, situation between Mountain and sea, landscape of the surroundings, sunshine, vegetation Nice in unbeatable by any of these. Lyon is bigger and has a lot of attractive point but lack the exceptional location Nice does have.

Quebec city and New Orleans are not really to compare; like apple to oranges. North American cities that does have a historic city core, but still are very northern American in almot all points (especially NO)
Yes I agree but that doesn't detract them from any of the criteria, most of which is subjective to what one seeks out of a place in their own way.

I've personally always felt New Orleans is more American than we make it out to be but there are a lot of fellow Americans on this board that also feel the exact opposite that it is a very French feeling city, for North America I'm sure but yeah.

Of the four, I would go with Nice too. Has to be one of coastal France's finest cities, ever. So beautiful with ideal climate, size/urbanity, and culture.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 04-23-2013 at 02:46 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,692,832 times
Live:
1.Nice
2.Lyon
3.New Orleans
4.Quebec City (Cold/Snow)

Visit:
1.Nice
2.New Orleans
3.Quebec City
4.Lyon

Already been to Lyon, want to visit New Orleans and Nice in the future, maybe will visit Quebec City one day on a sidetrip from Montreal but it's not high on my list.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 AM

20,576 posts, read 25,637,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Yes I agree but that doesn't detract them from any of the criteria, most of which is subjective to what one seeks out of a place in their own way.

I've personally always felt New Orleans is more American than we make it out to be but there are a lot of fellow Americans on this board that also feel the exact opposite that it is a very French feeling city, for North America I'm sure but yeah.

Yeah, there isn't much that is French about New Orleans. Even the architecture of the French Quarter is more Caribbean/Spanish colonial than French. That said, it's still a really cool city that has a very unique personality and culture in the context of the United States. But not French.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM

5,041 posts, read 5,519,453 times
Definitely Nice - both to visit and live. Côte d'Azur is a very nice area.

Still, I would like to visit "The Big Sleazy", sorry New Orleans.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM

2,872 posts, read 3,787,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post

The "french quarter" of New Orleans look nothing like a french city. I visited NO least year. I've met locals they asked me "you must feel at home here, it looks like a french city". I had a hard time to explain to them that the architecture found in the "french quarter" doesn't feel much french really, but much rather french caribean or colonial; but nothing to do with any place in European part of France.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,198,054 times
NOLA does not compare to Quebec or Lyon let alone Nice IMO.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,098,731 times
I think Nice is nice and I've been there, but to live, I think I'd prefer the lifestyle in Quebec City more. It also has by far the best economy of the four. I'm biased though, I'm Canadian and so I feel more comfortable living in that context then I would be somewhere with more cultural distance.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,362,331 times
I have equal preference for Nice, and Lyon. I almost voted for Lyon just because it so underrated compared to Nice, but at the final moment decided to select Nice.

They win in every category compared to Quebec City, and New Orleans for almost everything imaginable. That is especially true for vibrancy, architecture, educational institutions, Culture, Shopping, Dining, Foods, Economic strength, Scenery, Unique neighborhoods, Urbanity, Parks, Location, and More.

Maybe Montreal was able to be part of this topic for French influenced North American cities, even if the population size is not the same as Lyon/Nice/Quebec/New Orleans. If Montreal was included, it would then be a near three way tie between Nice, Lyon, and Montreal.

Nice and Lyon are wonderful, impressive, exciting cities in France, offer a very balanced high quality of life, and a satisfying experience for visitors and people that are fortunate to live there.

The city of Nice does have the French Mediterranean beaches, Provence Cote’d Azur region of France, and is even near parts of French Alps, Corsica island, and Northwestern Italy.

However, Lyon’s exact location is also pleasant, and beneficial, for having near proximity to French Alps, national parks in Alps, Grenoble, Chamonix, Geneva Switzerland, and even some areas of Northwestern Italy.

While I love Paris, I realize Lyon and Nice are better options for people that want a break from large, crowded cities, if they wanted a change of scenery, and for climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or