Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Can we please just ignore those who feel that this has to be an "either/or" issue, not just for themselves, but for everyone else? Of course we each have our reasons for PREFERRING either the EU or the US, but both regions have so many positives that it's really ridiculous to continue to tear each other down.

I mean, it's downright sophomoric.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Can we please just ignore those who feel that this has to be an "either/or" issue, not just for themselves, but for everyone else? Of course we each have our reasons for PREFERRING either the EU or the US, but both regions have so many positives that it's really ridiculous to continue to tear each other down.

I mean, it's downright sophomoric.
Fact:
USA is # 1

Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Fact:
USA is # 1
#1 in what?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
N.Y. STATE

Buffalo

Farms

NYC (beats ALL EU cities combined incl. London)

Coast

Niagara Falls

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%282007%29.jpg

Mountains
Why did you put in Buffalo? It's not as bad as some people make it and it seems to have stabilized in recent years, but it seems ridiculous to put it as a primary attraction. Some of the nice Finger Lakes or Hudson Valley smaller cities/towns which haven't gone through the massive urban nosedive that racked the US in the mid 20th Century would be much more attractive. Or the beautiful Thousand Islands region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
what does Philly have that attracts world travelers? Amsterdam is a world city, Philly is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
That is not going to attract someone to visit, there is nothing world class in Philly, those things you list are kind of generic.
Well, many attractions in many cities (their historical sites, their monuments, their museums, etc.) sort of run along similar lines. Its skyline and museum on a global scale fare pretty well for a mid-sized city. The museum district with the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Rodin Museum, and the coming Barnes collection in such a tight area is actually quite good--and not just good for an American city. Probably the more unique aspects of Philadelphia are its historic sites in terms of early American/colonial history (Philadelphia does have a good claim as the birthplace of the United States and the US has had some significance on recent world history) and architecture which could be interesting to some non-Americans, and the jazz, soul, and hiphop musical history. These two, especially the first, are probably the most unique things about Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
There is no comparison whatsoever...

Amsterdam: 4.4 murders per 100.000

Philadelphia: 21.2 murders per 100.000

New York: 5.6 murders per 100.000

I am sorry but you lose... big time.
Yea, US crime rates are generally pretty bad. The good thing is that crime rates across the board in the US have been dropping over the last two decades after having been climbing for decades before that. Also, if you're not involved with any illicit activity or gang-affiliated in any way, then your odds of being a victim of crime drop precipitously, so I'd say for those who are considering moving to the US and are deterred by the crime rates, please keep that in mind--don't get involved, then you generally don't be a part of the terrible crime stats. Hopefully, the trend over the last two decades continue or accelerate though.

Also, it'd be nice maybe if people did more touting of what makes their respective part of the EU or the US great rather than tear at where other places are bad.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-08-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
#1 in what?
#1 in the world

Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
#1 in what?
Smores! Space!

Man, I can't wait until the EU stabilizes and more countries join the ESA and up that sucker's budget. I want a real space race. USA/Europe/Russia+Friends/China/India/Brazil/Japan/Whoever

Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why did you put in Buffalo? It's not as bad as some people make it and it seems to have stabilized in recent years, but it seems ridiculous to put it as a primary attraction. Some of the nice Finger Lakes or Hudson Valley smaller cities/towns which haven't gone through the massive urban nosedive that racked the US in the mid 20th Century would be much more attractive. Or the beautiful Thousand Islands region.
Buffalo has some horrible decay. Finger Lakes:

hudson valley:

Only 1hr20min from NYC by train.

Quote:
Well, many attractions in many cities (their historical sites, their monuments, their museums, etc.) sort of run along similar lines. Its skyline and museum fare on a global scale fare pretty well for a mid-sized city. The museum district with the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Rodin Museum, and the coming Barnes collection in such a tight area is actually quite good--and not just good for an American city. Probably the more unique aspects of Philadelphia are its historic sites in terms of early American/colonial history (Philadelphia does have a good claim as the birthplace of the United States and the US has had some significance on recent world history) and architecture which could be interesting to some non-Americans, and the jazz, soul, and hiphop musical history. These two, especially the first, are probably the most unique things about Philadelphia.
Philadelphia definitely has some issues, but I've always enjoyed my visit. The decent parts are attractive and lively and I found plenty to do.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM

I was just goofing around btw.

it was just an opinion not a fact

Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,527 times
Great pictures, Nei In the Hudson Valley picture, are those railroad tracks below? What an amazing trip that must be!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 PM

796 posts, read 1,161,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Great pictures, Nei In the Hudson Valley picture, are those railroad tracks below? What an amazing trip that must be!
If I posted those you would have said that you do not care, it's nothing special and bla bla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.