Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

I've dreamt all my life of visiting and living in the EU and even had a fat-head poster of Georges Pompidou in my room. But after seeing the case made here for Europe it's clear that the EU has fallen and can't get up.

au-revoir turtle doves, au-revoir....

Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
True, though if it had British land use policies, the eastern 2/3rds would be much lighter developed, and be pockets of small towns and preserved green belt with farms.
Yes, which would have been great. Long Island before the 1950s when its population started skyrocketing would have been a pretty good middle ground.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
That's right pin all your reasoning on thoughts of forum posters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've dreamt all my life of visiting and living in the EU and even had a fat-head poster of Georges Pompidou in my room. But after seeing the case made here for Europe it's clear that the EU has fallen and can't get up.

au-revoir turtle doves, au-revoir....

Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
How is the USA going up against 30 different countries.
Because we can do that, that's just how it is. USA! USA! USA!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I would prefer many of the countries in the EU to the USA. I like the better public transport, more universal healthcare and education, the user-friendliness, and the increase of culture of being out and about. I prefer small, functional flats because...that's all I need anyways.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
I love the "small town" aspect of the USA in most states, from the east coast to the west, affluent to poor. As far as I can tell, they tend to be more closely knit and traditional than the small towns in Europe.

Despite attempts to secularise the USA, the country, in general, has a population that has retained its commitment to substantive morally realistic values. Whereas Western European countries have been subsumed by essentially ephemeral cultural trends that have little value aside from simply being in vogue, the USA has remained resilient. This is something I have a great deal of respect for as a UK citizen; one of the main reasons I view the foundational value system of the USA so positively.

Sadly, this too, appears to be in decline, as educational decline takes its toll upon the country, ontological illiteracy becomes de rigueur at the popular level, and long abandoned secular liberal philosophies are now naively disseminated as the height of wisdom.

Source: http://anglicansablaze.blogspot.co.u...nger-want.html

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 10-31-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
An oppressive theocratic small-town filled with "traditional value" fanatics and fatwas would be my worst nightmare.

A liberal, casual and secular mid-size or big city with a live-and-let-live attitude, and where you don't know everybody but can become anybody is naturally the best option. No matter if it's in the EU or America.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:45 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
An oppressive theocratic small-town filled with "traditional value" fanatics and fatwas would be my worst nightmare.

A liberal, casual and secular mid-size or big city with a live-and-let-live attitude, and where you don't know everybody but can become anybody is naturally the best option. No matter if it's in the EU or America.

Add economic freedom and it's utopia

Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
I have to admit I also used to think this way in the past. It seems I'm as much a victim of a liberal education as you are.

Once one studies a specialty that allows us to (a) recognise and (b) address the basic assumptions that we internalise through social and cultural exposure from early childhood, it becomes easier to address these beliefs.
I don't know, I think I've become more liberal when getting "older", and can't see a wave of conservatism sweeping through me. I'm too preoccupied battling narrowmindness and uneducated opinions, that maybe I'm just so cynical and realize that it's easier for all of us if we just let each other be in peace. Of course as long as they behave well.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

In many cases, our aversion to ideas contrary to ours derive from a system of basic beliefs we internalise through social exposure from early childhood. Many of these are existential assumptions we are unaware of, or simply presuppose as unquestionable truisms.

Where such beliefs are arbitrary, irrational, or otherwise indefensible (you'll find plenty of examples of this in the currently en vogue secular world view), I've found they are eminently challengeable, provided one has the insight or courage to address them.

Alternatively, they can remain in place until a life event forces the host to re-evaluate his/her beliefs. However, that can be ugly.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 10-31-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World