U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation?
Madrid 40 51.28%
Milan 9 11.54%
Toronto 9 11.54%
Sydney 20 25.64%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:04 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,530,188 times

Advertisements

Madrid for visiting (havenít been yet). Loved Mexico City and while that isnít exactly analogous, perhaps there are some parallels aside from just language.

Toronto for living/day to day entertainment

Milan perhaps the most unique in terms of offerings. Best base/most interesting surrounding region. As a city proper, Madrid May be more interesting, but Milan, as a region, esp. perhaps for a return trip. Not sure though.

Sydney for general classic vacation purposes (weather, beach, livability, Opera House, diversity of food, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 08:25 AM

12,581 posts, read 10,349,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Madrid for visiting (haven’t been yet). Loved Mexico City and while that isn’t exactly analogous, perhaps there are some parallels aside from just language.

Toronto for living/day to day entertainment

Milan perhaps the most unique in terms of offerings. Best base/most interesting surrounding region. As a city proper, Madrid May be more interesting, but Milan, as a region, esp. perhaps for a return trip. Not sure though.

Sydney for general classic vacation purposes (weather, beach, livability, Opera House, diversity of food, etc.
You seem like you'd be an interesting travel buddy

Haven't been to Milan or Sydney so can't really comment but Madrid is really a beautiful and vibrant city. So much to do, wonderful architecture, streetscapes, squares etc. Mexico City isn't as clean and polished as Madrid and is obviously larger and more pedestrian intense - but Madrid more than holds its own in terms of vibrancy and urban options. You would not regret booking a trip to Madrid and there are so many amazing places a short train ride away.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:09 PM

133 posts, read 47,275 times
Iím clearly bias but Sydney all the way. The only city who left me shocked by its beauty apart from Paris has been Sydney. But everyone has different tastes. If you want history and old architecture of course that new cities like Toronto or Sydney canít beat it. But if you want beaches, amazing ocean and harbour views along with nice weather almost all year round and feeling safe that you wonít encounter any problems with pickpockets or homeless, the other cities canít beat Sydney.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,530,188 times
Thanks, I appreciate that! Lol. It is definitely my addiction. Getting as many trips out of the way as I can while I'm young. Thanks for the info on Madrid-it's very high on the list of European cities/areas I want to get to!

Interesting to hear that on Sydney as well. The view lines along the waterfront really are stunning. Honestly, living where I'm at now (Tampa Bay), I tend to think that when visiting even the history/old architecture of a Sydney or Toronto is stunning and highly fascinating compared to many places I'm used to. I saw this in someone's headline, and I sort of believe it also, "Comparison is a joy stealer". Sure, Toronto and Sydney don't quite match up to Madrid and Milan in the history department. But, who wouldn't enjoy places like this? I feel for them.

Toronto:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-79.4056784

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...!4d-79.3598029

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ed...!4d-79.3794054

Sydney:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.859...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Da...!4d151.2181753

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.883...8i6656!5m1!1e4

Simply put, I can see why someone might prefer Milan or Madrid... but anyone that is not able to have a good time in Toronto or Sydney/find things to enjoy there? I feel sorry for them.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:56 AM

9,617 posts, read 10,858,000 times
I have only been to Toronto and Sydney but here is how I would rank them based on what I know/have read:

1. Sydney - The beaches and weather can't be beat and that's really important to me. The food options are great too and it's quite a safe city.
2. Madrid - I haven't been but everything I have seen and read looks awesome. The architecture and food seem on a whole other level.
3. Milan - Looks really great for food and architecture as well but it seems a notch below Madrid on this.
4. Toronto - I actually think Toronto beats the other 3 on food and is one of the best foodie cities in the world for the sheer variety and quality but in most other ways it's a bit of a letdown for me. The climate is poor in my opinion and there doesn't seem to be a lot of really interesting architecture/interesting geographic features. Yes, there is Lake Ontario which is ok and a couple of interesting buildings but can't hold a candle to Madrid/Milan and is about on the level of Sydney being a new world city.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate that! Lol. It is definitely my addiction. Getting as many trips out of the way as I can while I'm young. Thanks for the info on Madrid-it's very high on the list of European cities/areas I want to get to!

Interesting to hear that on Sydney as well. The view lines along the waterfront really are stunning. Honestly, living where I'm at now (Tampa Bay), I tend to think that when visiting even the history/old architecture of a Sydney or Toronto is stunning and highly fascinating compared to many places I'm used to. I saw this in someone's headline, and I sort of believe it also, "Comparison is a joy stealer". Sure, Toronto and Sydney don't quite match up to Madrid and Milan in the history department. But, who wouldn't enjoy places like this? I feel for them.

Simply put, I can see why someone might prefer Milan or Madrid... but anyone that is not able to have a good time in Toronto or Sydney/find things to enjoy there? I feel sorry for them.
Yeah my partner and I travel as much as possible while we are young. I've seen so many people put off travelling until they are older and kick the buck soon after they retire, or just don't have the strength to do it, so travel while you are able to enjoy it is our mantra.

Glad you put up those links about Toronto. So many people just dismiss the architecture of the city and they shouldn't. It obviously doesn't have the old world European architecture of a city like Madrid but it actually has a lot of various architectural styles over the last 150 years from Edwardian and Victorian to all the PoMo and Modern to International style stuff of the last 50 years. If you haven't been through the grounds of the U of T in a past trip to Toronto - I highly recommend you do that on your next visit.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-27-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
and there doesn't seem to be a lot of really interesting architecture/interesting geographic features. Yes, there is Lake Ontario which is ok and a couple of interesting buildings but can't hold a candle to Madrid/Milan and is about on the level of Sydney being a new world city.
Yeah B.C boy - the architecture of Vancouver is just leaps and bounds above Toronto

Seriously though (and yes seriously Old Toronto's architecture blows Vancouver's to smithereens), but Toronto while not as beautiful as say Vancouver or Sydney geographically, it does have quite a bit of really nice ravines (it isn't flat) and bluffers park. These formations were as a result of the last ice age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwkighZl9QU

Last edited by fusion2; 05-27-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 01:07 PM

9,617 posts, read 10,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah B.C boy - the architecture of Vancouver is just leaps and bounds above Toronto

Seriously though (and yes seriously Old Toronto's architecture blows Vancouver's to smithereens), but Toronto while not as beautiful as say Vancouver or Sydney geographically, it does have quite a bit of really nice ravines (it isn't flat) and bluffers park. These formations were as a result of the last ice age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwkighZl9QU
Vancouver wasn't even listed in this comparison I agree that Toronto has nicer buildings overall than Vancouver but you have to admit that compared to Madrid and Milan, they are in a different league.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Vancouver wasn't even listed in this comparison I agree that Toronto has nicer buildings overall than Vancouver but you have to admit that compared to Madrid and Milan, they are in a different league.
I know I just had to get that dig in .. If you do come back to T.O and want some examples of where T.O does shine when it comes pre WWII architecture, let me know and i'll point you to the best areas. Also best time of the year to come. Time of year and where you go in the city will paint a vastly different picture on how you will perceive it.

As for Madrid - in terms of old world architecture - no city in not only Canada but really in the western hemisphere can really compare. This was the seat of a significant empire that spanned the globe for hundreds of years. It essentially became the political and economic power of the Spanish empire in the mid 1500's so point is, when it was a relevant global player - our cities didn't even have mud huts.

I can't speak to Milan as I haven't been there. Same with Sydney though I think you are right, in terms of architecture I would put Syd and Tor closer together than with Madrid. Actually, when you put weather and geography aside and just look at the history of the two cities - I think they Syd and Tor probably have some interesting architectural and urban similarities..

Old 05-28-2018, 01:12 AM

893 posts, read 530,090 times
It's interesting that some seem to equate "history" with old buildings. There are some really good museums in Sydney and Melbourne, and I assume Canada as well, that do a great job in chronicling and presenting human history. Sure its fairy recent history(1700s to today) and the narratives are about "ordinary people" not monarchs or high ranking clergy, but most of the stories are fascinating.

This museum in Sydney is pretty good from that perspective: https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/s...h-place-museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World