Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation?
Madrid 43 50.59%
Milan 9 10.59%
Toronto 9 10.59%
Sydney 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 PM

284 posts, read 330,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
the an ugly and aging looking opera house and Bridge.
Looks like somebody's nerves was hit

I try not to get too opinionated about anything, mine or anyone else's. Credibility tends to be lost.

Anyway usaariodeldia, I think you show what I mentioned earlier before. Sydney sells itself to hard on the harbour, beaches and Opera house that everything else is barely mentioned. Melbourne is all too eager to exploit the image it gives, that Sydney is about nothing but those 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Just stop.... it's time for that glass of wine buddy. Not whine .... No one belittled your CN (CNN ) Tower.... you did the putdown to the ICONIC Opera House. I just thought was uncalled for. The CN tower might be higher in it's LOOOOONGER AND LEEAANER. But Seattle's Space needle has a BIGGER HEAD and WIDER GIRTH at its base....

Maybe they couldn't care less if you visit Australia period. Not with a attitude of meh it's ok ....
You are so not objective Dave it isn't funny but at the same time you are funny. I know North42 was getting between us in the Boston vs but we can have a tryst here. Seriously it was that other poster who was taking silly shots at Toronto. I think I responded proportionally. If the city is on the other side of the Vs of Toronto I know you'll always portray taking its side. In reality I know you could give a flying BLEEP about the Opera house like I don't. Christ at least the CN Tower is tall and gives a good view. You that big into Opera Dave - didn't take you for the type lol.. If you are we don't have to go to Sydney - T.O has a good and more modern Opera house in the Four Seasons - when you finally give in we can go see an Opera here in the T.Dot

Anyway, I know you are fascinated with the T.Dot because she surprises you. You thought you had her all sized up and figured out and than every day she does that thang that just sort of makes you swoon a bit. Not that you'd leave your city wife C.Dot for her. I'd NEVER presume that but you are undressing the T.Dot with your eyes.. She notices!

Since you are a lover of North American pre WWII architecture (as you should be) and in particular pre WWII residential architecture as you've shown some fine C.Dot stuff with me - what do you think of Madison ave in T.O..?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66804...7i13312!8i6656

P.S in EVERY measureable way the puny Seattle NEEDLE is just not gonna cut it. The CN Tower owns the Seattle Space Needle. That needle brings the CN Tower breakfast in the morning and thanks the CN Tower for the privilege. Let's B REAL.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-30-2018 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
Looks like somebody's nerves was hit

I try not to get too opinionated about anything, mine or anyone else's. Credibility tends to be lost.

Anyway usaariodeldia, I think you show what I mentioned earlier before. Sydney sells itself to hard on the harbour, beaches and Opera house that everything else is barely mentioned. Melbourne is all too eager to exploit the image it gives, that Sydney is about nothing but those 3.
Nah not at all. I know you are a Big time Sydney homer and Usaariodildo was just taking some low ball shots so I was playing it. You are more objective and fair minded - he was just being a Usaariodildo. I'm sure Sydney is fine and i'd check it out though still solidly lean Melbourne. Looks like more my kinda town. For what its worth - take out the harbour and beaches and there are prolly some interesting streetscape parallels between Sydney and Toronto. Culturally as anglo cities you'd prolly get some of that Anglo thing going on even thought they are both quite diverse. As well they are both on equal footing in terms of economic importance and overall importance to a nation.

One thing I've learned In C/D is even though there are a lot of posters - there seems to be a fairly reliable group of posters in here specifically attracted to this subject matter so i'll dish digs as I get em cuz I know the poster. Dave is almost like my C/D wife..

As for credibility - people know a poster and believe me - you can be silly about stuff and still make a point or show something to someone they least expect it. You hit em and they don't even know it until well... they do.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-30-2018 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 11:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
You are so not objective Dave it isn't funny but at the same time you are funny. Seriously it was that other poster who was taking silly shots at Toronto. I think I responded proportionally. If the city is on the other side of the Vs of Toronto I know you'll always portray taking its side. In reality I know you could give a flying BLEEP about the Opera house like I don't. Christ at least the CN Tower is tall and gives a good view. You that big into Opera Dave - didn't take you for the type lol..

Anyway, I know you are fascinated with the T.Dot because she surprises you. You thought you had her all sized up and figured out and than every day she does that thang that just sort of makes you swoon a bit. Not that you'd leave your city wife C.Dot for her. I'd NEVER presume that but you are undressing the T.Dot with your eyes.. She notices!

Since you are a lover of North American pre WWII architecture (as you should be) and in particular pre WWII residential architecture as you've shown some fine C.Dot stuff with me - what do you think of Madison ave in T.O..?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66804...7i13312!8i6656
I do not know what C.Dot even means or that thang is ... doesn't matter. I'm having my beer. Gave wine a break for a bit. Ever have Yuengling Lager ..... from America's oldest brewery back to 1839 brewed by me?

I surely like Art Deco and other older ornate use of European classic designs incorporated into old early skyscrapers. But newer ones too. I. do not remember Madison Ave in TO. I do in Chicago and NYC. In Chicago it divides the city addresses by North and South and divides the downtown Loop area .... and Madison Ave NYC ... fagetaboutit. Iconic.

Quote:
You are so not objective Dave it isn't funny but at the same time you are funny.
P.S in EVERY measureable way the puny Seattle NEEDLE is just not gonna cut it. The CN Tower owns the Seattle Space Needle. That needle brings the CN Tower breakfast in the morning and thanks the CN Tower for the privilege. Let's B REAL.
They'd make a good couple then .... but puny ...

If you like'em Big and Black ... This Tower in Chicago is your man ....
He is getting older now .... but they are giving him a new base makeover currently and faster elevators.
He still shows great stamina and rigidity that has its swagger on still on windy days especially.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-10-2019 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I do not know what C.Dot even means or that thang is ... doesn't matter. I'm having my beer. Gave wine a break for a bit. Ever have Yuengling Lager ..... from America's oldest brewery back to 1839 brewed by me?
Brewed by you in 1839? Am I reading that right or is this single malt really hitting me all of a sudden. Could be not dismissing it lol.. I haven't had Yuengling Lager.. I'm more an I.P.A guy but heck - I love me some beer - so i'd be open to trying it. Heck i'll go out of my way to try it just upon your recommendation. C.Dot - Chicago Dot - uggh nm

Quote:
I surely like Art Deco and other older ornate use of European classic designs incorporated into old early skyscrapers. But newer ones too. I. do not remember Madison Ave in TO. I do in Chicago and NYC. In Chicago it divides the city addresses by North and South and divides the downtown Loop area .... and Madison Ave NYC ... fagetaboutit. Iconic.
No no just talking about residential architecture. Toronto couldn't hold a candle to Chicago's pre WWII skyscraper architecture. It is among the very best in the world only eclipsed by NYC. Toronto still has some notable examples though - just smaller scale and of course, you would absolutely appreciate. Madison Ave in T.O is not about skyscrapers. It's about Pre WWII residential architecture. Although the style is uniform - there are some interesting variations in just one street. I know you like Pre WWII residential stuff because you post a lot of it. Nothing wrong with it - it is a valid expression of period architecture and never should be dismissed and in Toronto just like Chicago, there is tons of amazing stuff to see.

Quote:
They'd make a good couple then .... but puny ...

If you like'em Big and Black ... This Tower in Chicago is your man ....
OMG Dave - you didn't just go there - but you absolutely did. it's ok lol - I guess I invited it all. The CN Tower is actually pretty thick at the base but does go quite narrow as she gets up higher. Remember, this is an almost 2000' free standing structure - she isn't going to stand with a puny foundation/base. I think if you saw the CN Tower and Space Needs side by side the perspective in size would become very apparent in the CN Tower's favour. The Sears Tower (what she should always be known as imo) is impressive by any accounts and yes, a robust, tall and classic period piece like Sears tower of that scope has my respect. I've always shown respect for Chicago - you with T.O though well....What I've boosted in terms of growth and dev in T.O favour over Chi is warranted and expected. for what it is worth - in terms of interesting and a city that deserves more growth as a whole, I dig Chicago more than any other U.S city save for NYC.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I know you are a Big time Sydney homer
Maybe or maybe not... I just stick in whenever I think something's being portrayed innacurately. Most of the time when it's fair I just sit back and let others sort it out.

C/D's all just a bitta fun, 'innit?

Quote:
I'm sure Sydney is fine and i'd check it out though still solidly lean Melbourne. Looks like more my kinda town.
Wasn't you you're fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions and I've heard equal amounts of people preferring either one over the other. Was just usaariodeldia, I've seen Sydney being sold on nothing other than those landmarks enough that I cringe, and usaariodeldia was doing just that. It's becoming cliched. I've heard so much of the 3 I'd rather appreciate the other parts of the city. And indeed, there are many aspects forgotten by the Sydney marketers that would be sold, if they were in another city without the harbour, beaches bridge and Opera house.

Funny enough I think, and have also heard some other Sydneysiders say that Sydney is also a layered city where the more you explore it the more surprises it throws at you... Though anyone who knows any city well enough, will eventually think that way.

Last edited by ciTydude123; 05-30-2018 at 11:58 PM..

Old 05-30-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe or maybe not... I just stick in whenever I think something's being portrayed innacurately. Most of the time when it's fair I just sit back and let others sort it out.

C/D's all just a bitta fun, 'innit?
You're a Sydney booster but at the same time you are open to other cities so I think it's all good. Nothing wrong with sharing info on your city. I've learned stuff about your city from your light boosting and i'm happy for it. If anyone in here can learn stuff about Toronto from me i'm happy for that as well.

I still stick by my decision that for visiting - Madrid is ahead of the class. For living i'd go with an OZ or CAD city like Sydney or Toronto... Gainful employment is always an important element of travelling around the world lol..

Fun in C/D - yup

Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
You're a Sydney booster but at the same time you are open to other cities so I think it's all good.
I might seem that way with my online persona, but really I've lived here for so long and seen pretty much everything I'd rather go elsewhere if my situation requires. Again C/D's just fun, I just stick in whenever I feel something might be inaccurate.

Either way Sydney's just a bit too small for me, I'd rather a city the size and urban form of about London. It's growing rapidly now (100k+/yr), but I'm not sure even with the record amount of investment in infrastructure that we'll catch up to the need. There are also some other decisions being made about the city's future right now that I'm not too certain if I agree with. Though I suppose Sydney's just a nice diverse place to live with some pretty sights. And pretty urban for its size and density

As for usaariodeldia... The more someone offends someone else's city the less likely they are to listen to them. So maybe he doesn't realise he might be doing Sydney a disservice

Last edited by ciTydude123; 05-31-2018 at 01:32 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Wasn't you you're fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions and I've heard equal amounts of people preferring either one over the other. Was just usaariodeldia, I've seen Sydney being sold on nothing other than those landmarks enough that I cringe, and usaariodeldia was doing just that. It's becoming cliched. I've heard so much of the 3 I'd rather appreciate the other parts of the city. And indeed, there are many aspects forgotten by the Sydney marketers that would be sold, if they were in another city without the harbour, beaches bridge and Opera house.

Funny enough I think, and have also heard some other Sydneysiders say that Sydney is also a layered city where the more you explore it the more surprises it throws at you... Though anyone who knows any city well enough, will eventually think that way.
I KNOW Sydney is much more than those landmarks. For much of the same reasons I was trying to convey to him that Toronto is way more than a stupid tall landmark tower. I'm almost certain I would appreciate your city more for what you convey than what he does. Some token, famous or 'iconic' structures don't impress me - the REAL city always does. So for me my city actually has some gravitas and based on what YOU have written about Sydney - I believe you and I am more open to exploring how you portray your city. It sounds more interesting the way you describe it than he does. I am familiar with your posts and you are fair minded and a good source of info about the city you are from and there is nothing wrong with it! Real locals know their city best!
'

Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 AM

Pleased to hear that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World