Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation?
Madrid 43 50.59%
Milan 9 10.59%
Toronto 9 10.59%
Sydney 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
Who's to blame for that? La Francophonie Which is making clueless people believe that you can get around in French in Toronto...and then the future FL university there... I already see the slogan: "Toronto - A francophone dynamic city, study here!" Probably the FLU will collaborate with La Francophonie they will! In case you wondered what your future wife is telling on the phone, here's what she's saying, translated into English: "Oh Leticia! I already told my friend Rosa María Carmen about you know, my partner. At the beginning, he was nice and I'm fallen in love with him, but now I can't stand him anymore. He spends all his time on CityData, his username is Fusion he and writes so much stuff and ignores me. Secretly, I am reading his posts, too and my username is usuaruideldia and that's my way of letting him know how bad he actually is. But shsh.. don't tell him. This is a love-hate relationship. I just wish he would take me to dinner in a lovely city like Montréal or on vacation to awesome Sydney, instead he's always dragging me to the horrible restaurant scene of rotten Toronto, the least cultivated Canadian city. I tried to convince him how amazing Sydney is and indirectly motivated him to take me there by telling him wonderful things about the city but he still has no taste for what's good. After our marriage, I'll move to Montréal and joy the real big Hispanic scene there 'cause all the cool Hispanics are in Montréal. [more trash talk about Fusion] So, Leticia, what do you think of my new nail polish?"

Bad idea!! If you want to ruin the Canadian ecosystem by importing foreign species that put the natural nature out of balance, we will build a wall between Ontario and Québec to stop foreign species to bring our ecosystem out of balance!!

And to Nat (somehow the quote isn't working now):

(Justin) beavers are only representative of Anglo-Canada!!! Québéc has much cuter animals!!

These animals live in Québec, where all the cute animals are and the dirty Justin beavers are in Ontario

I agree that Toronto is very generic! Toronto is like a modernized Canadian version of Chicago.
also Toronto is too fast-paced and too hectic. In Sydney people can take a break and go to a fine beach, in Montréal people can draw paintings to relax or they play guitar.

Il faut utiliser le subjonctif après une expression qui exprime des sentiments: je suis content que vous soyez heureux (or heureuse if USU is female) en Australie!!

être content que, être hereux que, cela m'amuse que, cela me plaît que, trouver bizarre que + subjonctif! You violated French grammar, Acajack, it is only appropriate to use subjonctif in your sentence. I wouldn't have expected that from you. Probably you're so anglicized by nearby Ottawa... though in the first part you correctly used subjonctif (ayez). Je vais informer l'Office.. I will write a complaint to OQLF because you do not pay attention to grammar and I have a right that correct grammar is used.
You'll get a fine soon
OMG ..... too hilarious! ,. The seals are sooooo cute.

I'll just give the Chicago comment a pass. But its core seems surprisingly modern. Even with its old-school classic skyscrapers mixed in. But guess less just glass as T.O's. core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
You haven't said anything new and interesting about Toronto. It's just a very generic North American city, apart from that tower, there is no much to do/see there that you can't do in any other major city
It is neither the centre of the universe nor in my view as pleasant as Sydney or Montreal. The thing most underwhelming to me about Toronto is it lacks a specific culture or uniqueness. Many cities have something unique about it whether it's cuisine (New York pizza, Montreal bagels), or a culture (Surfing culture in Sydney, Hollywood in LA, the weirdness of Portland, the liberal feeling of SF). Toronto seems to lack both.

Your replies are very passive aggressive too, is that a Torontonian thing? because I noticed that kind of behaviour a lot there...
The bold ... for sure. Just acknowledge T.O.'s arrival and gonna take its new position besting all US cities but Mighty NYC .... as a more wanna-be extra-urban utopia city of the World ..... or is that a walla-by .... oops nope, that's unique to Aussieland and as cute as the Québec seals too.

Yep, the grammar and English police are gonna get me.

But these replies were....

Last edited by DavePa; 07-18-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:

Il faut utiliser le subjonctif après une expression qui exprime des sentiments: je suis content que vous soyez heureux (or heureuse if USU is female) en Australie!!

être content que, être hereux que, cela m'amuse que, cela me plaît que, trouver bizarre que + subjonctif! You violated French grammar, Acajack, it is only appropriate to use subjonctif in your sentence. I wouldn't have expected that from you. Probably you're so anglicized by nearby Ottawa... though in the first part you correctly used subjonctif (ayez). Je vais informer l'Office.. I will write a complaint to OQLF because you do not pay attention to grammar and I have a right that correct grammar is used.
You'll get a fine soon
Imaginez-vous que je suis en quelque sorte un professionnel linguistique. Mais j'avoue ne pas employer la même rigueur ici qu'au boulot. Que voulez-vous. Même les singes tombent parfois des arbres en Afrique.

En fait, j'avais remarqué l'erreur assez rapidement mais City-Data ne nous accorde qu'un très court délai pour modifier les messages. Il était déjà trop tard.

Pour ce qui est de ma présumée anglicisation et de la proximité avec Ottawa, ce n'est sûrement pas ce qui est en cause. J'étais à toutes fins pratiques un anglophone ultra-bilingue pendant une bonne partie de ma jeunesse. Peu importe, ce n'est pas l'anglicisation qui incite les francophones à omettre de bien employer le subjonctif, pas plus qu'on ne saurait lui attribuer le blâme pour l'histoire des "si" et des "rais". Ces fautes sont aussi très courantes dans les pays où l'anglais n'a que très peu d'influence.

En espérant ne pas trop vous décevoir à l'avenir...

Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 AM

518 posts, read 398,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
En espérant ne pas trop vous décevoir à l'avenir...

Subjonctif is increasingly turning into an endangered species like Siberian tigers.

Je suis en train d'imaginer comment des singes tombent des arbres... Maybe these highly talented and banana-loving animals just got tired because there, there are no lovely maple trees to laze about?

OK. I'm dropping the complaint and generous and graceful as I am, you'll be forgiven for your earthshaking & tremendous grammar-inattentiveness. Though, OQLF will keep watching you.

Tu ne me décevras pas si tu votes PQ ou QS you won't disappoint me if you vote for PQ/QS
I suggest ya to use some more English otherwise this conservation is going to exlcude some users and becomes private like a private Le Pigalle strip show

Old 06-04-2018, 09:48 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Subjonctif is increasingly turning into an endangered species like Siberian tigers.

Je suis en train d'imaginer comment des singes tombent des arbres... Maybe these highly talented and banana-loving animals just got tired because there, there are no lovely maple trees to laze about?

OK. I'm dropping the complaint and generous and graceful as I am, you'll be forgiven for your earthshaking & tremendous grammar-inattentiveness. Though, OQLF will keep watching you.

Tu ne me décevras pas si tu votes PQ ou QS you won't disappoint me if you vote for PQ/QS
I suggest ya to use some more English otherwise this conservation is going to exlcude some users and becomes private like a private Le Pigalle strip show
Yes, I will stick to English on this thread from now on. Especially since none of the cities involved are francophone.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 AM

518 posts, read 398,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, I will stick to English on this thread from now on. Especially since none of the cities involved are francophone.

Maybe you are a prime user with exclusive rights, with a special bilingual authorization from Ottawa, since the global Internet falls under federal jurisdiction? Je suis convaincu que tu as des droits spéciaux. I'm sure you are and have special rights.

J'espérais que tu ne suis pas mon conseil cette fois. Actually I hoped you wouldn't follow my advice...each time I give advice that are meant to be followed, noone's listening, and if they are intended not to be followed, people listen to me, why

But according to La Francophonie, Toronto is bilingual francophone so with reference to La Francophonie's definition,...Yeah Madrid got the most votes (51%),yet in the discussion it seems like the most ignored city. Rightfully.

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 06-04-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 PM

32 posts, read 31,910 times
Quote:
I’m clearly bias but Sydney all the way. The only city who left me shocked by its beauty apart from Paris has been Sydney. But everyone has different tastes. If you want history and old architecture of course that new cities like Toronto or Sydney can’t beat it. But if you want beaches, amazing ocean and harbour views along with nice weather almost all year round and feeling safe that you won’t encounter any problems with pickpockets or homeless, the other cities can’t beat Sydney.
Whoah.
Been surprised to see quite alot of homeless people in both Sydney and Melbourne especially considering how small their cbds are.
Concerning crime in general I can tell you you're alot safer walking the streets of Madrid especially late at night than either of the forementioned Australian cities.
The high crime rate in Australia has been a bit of a surprise to me.
Especially violent crime.
Just read the local newspapers.
Concerning pickpockets.
Those European cities are so full of locals and tourists that unfortunately have attracted some foreign clans.
I have never ever had a problem.
And the streets of Spanish cities in particular are always so busy with such a safe happy vibe.
You'd have to be extremely careless to get robbed.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:53 PM

570 posts, read 508,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihey View Post
Whoah.
Been surprised to see quite alot of homeless people in both Sydney and Melbourne especially considering how small their cbds are.
Concerning crime in general I can tell you you're alot safer walking the streets of Madrid especially late at night than either of the forementioned Australian cities.
The high crime rate in Australia has been a bit of a surprise to me.
Especially violent crime.
Just read the local newspapers.
Concerning pickpockets.
Those European cities are so full of locals and tourists that unfortunately have attracted some foreign clans.
I have never ever had a problem.
And the streets of Spanish cities in particular are always so busy with such a safe happy vibe.
You'd have to be extremely careless to get robbed.
Well, I live I Sydney and work in the CBD and I really don't see many homeless people or Africans selling fake bags like I saw in a lot of places in Barcelona, Paris, etc. It’s understandable when Australia has a better economy and a better welfare system than many European countries, including Spain. High crime rate in Australia? Since when? Sydney is one of the safest cities in the world, same as Toronto. Not even the worst suburb in Western Sydney could be compared to this in Madrid
https://goo.gl/maps/vmVDoMMLEeP2

I find laughable and super fake the thing you have said before

”siting Melbourne right now.Will be in Sydney on Sunday.
So far have found the food scene in Melbourne to be of a very low quality and full of McDonald's, KFC , burger king's/ Hungry jacks and lots...
Forum: World 05-23-2018, 09:41 PM”

”Australian cities seem to be good for a quiete type lifestyle.
If you want a big city life it's London.
Australian cities are very small and feel very rural compared to the big European cities”

You sound like a hater, maybe Australia didn't give you a visa.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I live I Sydney and work in the CBD and I really don't see many homeless people or Africans selling fake bags like I saw in a lot of places in Barcelona, Paris, etc. It’s understandable when Australia has a better economy and a better welfare system than many European countries, including Spain. High crime rate in Australia? Since when? Sydney is one of the safest cities in the world, same as Toronto. Not even the worst suburb in Western Sydney could be compared to this in Madrid
https://goo.gl/maps/vmVDoMMLEeP2

I find laughable and super fake the thing you have said before

”siting Melbourne right now.Will be in Sydney on Sunday.
So far have found the food scene in Melbourne to be of a very low quality and full of McDonald's, KFC , burger king's/ Hungry jacks and lots...
Forum: World 05-23-2018, 09:41 PM”

”Australian cities seem to be good for a quiete type lifestyle.
If you want a big city life it's London.
Australian cities are very small and feel very rural compared to the big European cities”

You sound like a hater, maybe Australia didn't give you a visa.
Another one with an inferiority complex.
Visa? What a laugh.
Buddy I'd rather be in the most remote corner of Europe than live in the forgotten civilization that is Australia.
The only migrants Australia
gets are people from third world countries.
Certainly not northern Europeans.

Your obviously not going to see as many homeless in Australian cities as those cities are more like the size of villages.
Read that Australia is the ice capital of the world.
Easy to believe.
For such an uninhabited country I've never seen anything like it.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 PM

And just one more thing.
Do you're insinuating Australian cities are dynamic?
What time do the shops close? Lofl
I mean .
Were walking through the Sydney CBD at 9 pm on a Friday night and the restaurants are completely dead.
Chapel Street in Melbourne. Same.
Sure.
Australian cities are as huge as London with the nightlife equal to Madrid and an equal shopping scene to Milan.
In your dreams.
Just found out we have to catch a taxi when we leave from Melbourne airport on Thursday.
Wow. Great infrastructure.
No high speed services or any sort of train for that matter to take you to the airport.
Terrific.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 PM

And concerning crime and the welfare system.
Another pisser.
You guys believe too much of your own propaganda.
What's the average pension in Australia compared to Denmark or just about any other country from Europe you wish to mention,,,?
In what place does Australia's health care system come on the United nations list ?
They say Americans are stupid,????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World