Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation?
Madrid 43 50.59%
Milan 9 10.59%
Toronto 9 10.59%
Sydney 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
Street art adds colour, but there's probably more that counts as character. Here's an area in Sydney called Newtown. Supposed to be the hipster, counterculture area where (wannabe) wierdos and eccentrics go about their business.

Not the best video but you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4DMp7-m-2Y

The band Coldplay used Newtown for one of the vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPRjCeoBqrI

Melbourne's equivalent is Fitzroy, but while it has the street art and its share of interesting stores I find it doesn't really match Newtown's energy and pulse, and just the general street activity. Maybe that's just my bias. Melbourne's Chapel Street though, is a real gem.

Then there was Kings Cross, where the nightlife was... a little crazy... until the government stepped in. Lockout laws were introduced a few years back, supposed to cure the 'violence', but in fact has destroyed the nightlife in the area. Result is that some of the nightlife has moved over to Newtown, but not to the scale we saw at Kings Cross.

Anyways here's a vid and a picture thread of Kings Cross and the southern CBD area before the lockouts, for what it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvN9zCV27k

Sydney: Nightlife and the Cross - SkyscraperCity
Nice stuff bud! I don't have any bones to pick with Sydney.. Especially the Sydney that 'real' Sydney-siders portray. All this beats the Opera House in my books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Almost perfectly so I might add. And with Québécois profanity thrown into the mix...
Oh well - he's yours now

Old 06-01-2018, 08:36 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nice stuff bud! I don't have any bones to pick with Sydney.. Especially the Sydney that 'real' Sydney-siders portray. All this beats the Opera House in my books
I'm beginning to think there is a "Sydney Opera House" fetish going on here.

Bringing it up again and taking a waank at it again ... is getting too fixated on taking your frustration out by trying to beat it off again. . You need to give it a break.

Those boasting for Sydney are not even mentioning it. You just can't keep your hands off of it....

The building has a awesome setting in the harbor (harbour) and still relevant whether you think its getting on in years and not at the pinnacle of its heights anymore.... it still has great performances and admired ....

Old 06-01-2018, 09:35 PM

569 posts, read 507,333 times
Quote:
So I am not a real a Sydneysider...aww you have no clue how much it hurts, baby.

Seriously, don't come here. Go somewhere else, nobody cares...

Anyway, I don't recommend people to go to Toronto. If someone wants to go to a REAL urban North American city, go to NYC. If you want to experience a UNIQUE North American city, go to Montreal, if you want to see a Canadian city with NATURE BEAUTY go to Vancouver if you want to learn about the interesting history of the country go to Ottawa....Even Calgary would be a better choice than Toronto because it is close to Banff.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
J'adore quand tu écris en français, cependant peut-être je dois te rappeler qu'il ya une Citydata-Bill 101 ici qui stipule que tous les messages doivent être écrits en anglais...tu sais, le bilinguisme est permis au Q, mais pas en dehors... I love how y'all write French, yet I'd like to remind you of Citydata's Bill 101 that says that posts have to be in English. Obey the law ( )

yes, because we have an OQLF approved theory that believes that Indians, Chinese, Korean and South Asians generally don't bother to learn French, whereas Latin Americans, Africans and other francotrope countries do show interest
So, usuario, could you reveal us how you learnt French, did you tak the free courses offered by the Q government?
Haha nah, I am sure those free courses are only for Canadian permanent residents. J'ai appris le français par moi-même et j'ai vécu dans le beau Québec pendant 4-5 mois l'année dernière - I used to live next Honoré Beaugrand and was studying at Mcgill. Tous les matins je prenais le journal gratuit dans la station de métro, et avec mon dictionnaire je lisais les nouvelles de la ville. (j'ai appris bcp de français de cette façon)... je me souviens qu'il y avait toujours des nouvelles sur les cas de corruption à Montréal haha, MAIS c'est vraiment un de mes souvenirs préférés là

Old 06-02-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'm beginning to think there is a "Sydney Opera House" fetish going on here.

Bringing it up again and taking a waank at it again ... is getting too fixated on taking your frustration out by trying to beat it off again. . You need to give it a break.

Those boasting for Sydney are not even mentioning it. You just can't keep your hands off of it....

The building has a awesome setting in the harbor (harbour) and still relevant whether you think its getting on in years and not at the pinnacle of its heights anymore.... it still has great performances and admired ....
It's alright. I think it is a nice backdrop in the harbour. I'm just really not actually horny for it at all tbh. I'm glad some other posters showed some of the more urban parts of Sydney. If constantly mentioning about how ugly that structure is swayed the discussion towards more better urban aspects of Sydney - i'm happy for it.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-02-2018 at 01:22 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post

Anyway, I don't recommend people to go to Toronto. If someone wants to go to a REAL urban North American city, go to NYC. If you want to experience a UNIQUE North American city, go to Montreal, if you want to see a Canadian city with NATURE BEAUTY go to Vancouver if you want to learn about the interesting history of the country go to Ottawa....Even Calgary would be a better choice than Toronto because it is close to Banff.
Hey this is all your opinion.. I think people know what that is after reading your posts about Toronto in here. If one doesn't dig Toronto all that much, the worlds most voluminous Falls is only 90 mins away.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
It's alright. I think it is a nice backdrop in the harbour. I'm just really not actually horny for it at all tbh. I'm glad some other posters showed some of the more urban parts of Sydney. If constantly mentioning about how ugly that structure is and swayed the discussion towards more better urban aspects of Sydney - i'm happy for it.
I suppose if a good climate, friendly locals, great hotels, great restaurants, loads of museums, a fantastic and extensive waterfront, a bridge climb(!), The Rocks, The weekend flea market, Good shopping, The Blue mountains, Manly Beach, Harbour cruises, local wineries, a great botanical garden, great and varied transport, interesting waterfront houses are not your thing...... then Sydney won't be for you

Old 06-02-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I suppose if a good climate, friendly locals, great hotels, great restaurants, loads of museums, a fantastic and extensive waterfront, a bridge climb(!), The Rocks, The weekend flea market, Good shopping, The Blue mountains, Manly Beach, Harbour cruises, local wineries, a great botanical garden, great and varied transport, interesting waterfront houses are not your thing...... then Sydney won't be for you
In terms of the urban elements that you identify above, a lot of those are found in Toronto. I would imagine Toronto does some of those better than Sydney and vice versa. Geography, climate and Beaches is less compelling for Toronto but it has its appeals in those fronts too. The fact that wineries/ice wineries are also close at hand and the worlds most voluminous and powerful waterfalls as well -That package actually is a good one to market. In the Canadian landscape it must be as Toronto receives far more visitors to it than any other Canadian city by a large margin.

Thanks for your information regarding Sydney, though I prefer the authenticity of other posters from that city. They just seem to 'know' it better than you. Possibly because they have been rooted there and know the ins and outs of it, so what they are able to convey is just more impassioned and real. You can continue to post about it but it isn't really sticking or resonating with me. If you love Sydney - you'd be better off just leaving it to them. You're better off discussing Montreal and Quebec in threads that pertain to them. You do a better job with those actually.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
In terms of the urban elements that you identify above, a lot of those are found in Toronto. I would imagine Toronto does some of those better than Sydney and vice versa. Geography, climate and Beaches is less compelling for Toronto but it has its appeals in those fronts too. The fact that wineries/ice wineries are also close at hand and the worlds most voluminous and powerful waterfalls as well -That package actually is a good one to market. In the Canadian landscape it must be as Toronto receives far more visitors to it than any other Canadian city by a large margin.

Thanks for your information regarding Sydney, though I prefer the authenticity of other posters from that city. They just seem to 'know' it better than you. Possibly because they have been rooted there and know the ins and outs of it, so what they are able to convey is just more impassioned and real. You can continue to post about it but it isn't really sticking or resonating with me. If you love Sydney - you'd be better off just leaving it to them. You're better off discussing Montreal and Quebec in threads that pertain to them. You do a better job with those actually.
lol

You don't even know where I come from and my connection with Sydney, it just shows how patronising and ignorant you really ARE. It's a shame.

Go and learn some French bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World