U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,799 posts, read 16,330,645 times
Reputation: 8935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Of course. The best comparison is Europe and (North) America.

Europe doesn't have an automobile culture.
Heard of Gumball 3000?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Striving for Avalon
1,365 posts, read 1,919,278 times
Reputation: 2926
"Culture shock" is generally grossly overused, especially for travel between developed/1st world majority Caucasian countries (US, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, etc). A country where everything isn't exactly like it is back in Small town, USA is not culture shock.

Government types are widely compatible (ie, you are going from one liberal democratic system to another), food is recognisable, value systems are broadly similar, English is widely spoken (where it isn't an official language), banking is hassle free, supermarkets exist and don't overwhelm you (ie you can figure out what Bier and Apfel are in a German supermarket etc etc).

The only advanced, 1st world country that I can think of with substantial, actual culture shock would be Japan. Language and culture are major departures from the Western comfort zone, for example. Going into the supermarket and one would have a hard time figuring out what something is beneath the packaging and Japanese characters.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Status: "Having fun one day at a time." (set 4 days ago)
 
4,501 posts, read 7,038,521 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
The U.S. is second world, overall.

You should live in Europe or Canada a few years so that you experience a first world life.
LOL

Only on City-Data!!!!!

Um, you are aware that second world countries were the communist ones, right?

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,270,347 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is it common for people who live in a 1st world nation to experience culture shock when moving to another 1st world nation?

To me the lifestyles are very similar that making it easy to adjust to the minor differences.
I'm pretty sure you will experience some cultural shock if you move to Japan.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,270,347 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
LOL

Only on City-Data!!!!!

Um, you are aware that second world countries were the communist ones, right?

Poor thing.
China and North Korea are third world countries.

Russia is..I don't know.

Any other communist country?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,270,347 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
"Culture shock" is generally grossly overused, especially for travel between developed/1st world majority Caucasian countries (US, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, etc). A country where everything isn't exactly like it is back in Small town, USA is not culture shock.

Government types are widely compatible (ie, you are going from one liberal democratic system to another), food is recognisable, value systems are broadly similar, English is widely spoken (where it isn't an official language), banking is hassle free, supermarkets exist and don't overwhelm you (ie you can figure out what Bier and Apfel are in a German supermarket etc etc).

The only advanced, 1st world country that I can think of with substantial, actual culture shock would be Japan. Language and culture are major departures from the Western comfort zone, for example. Going into the supermarket and one would have a hard time figuring out what something is beneath the packaging and Japanese characters.
South Korea and Singapore are probably developed countries, too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 4,566,276 times
Reputation: 3890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
China and North Korea are third world countries.

Russia is..I don't know.

Any other communist country?
Last time I checked Russia wasn't communist anymore.

List of current communist states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,270,347 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Last time I checked Russia wasn't communist anymore.

List of current communist states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
North Korea (since 1948); Korean Worker's Party. In 1972, Juche officially replaced Marxism-Leninism as the official state ideology.
That's even worse..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,799 posts, read 16,330,645 times
Reputation: 8935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
I'm pretty sure you will experience some cultural shock if you move to Japan.
Oh yes, leaving the USA I will probably experience some culture shock in Japan and South Korea. Little to no culture shock when moving to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Western European nations.
I wonder how much culture shock one would experience moving from the USA to a wealthy part of a second world nation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: NYC/D.C.
363 posts, read 523,574 times
Reputation: 205
Just read that 948,000,000 people in china live on 5 dollars a day or less......

I didn't realize it was that bad
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top