U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 PM

863 posts, read 1,051,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Are most Americans not aware of the types of paper sizes? (e.g. A4, B4, etc.)
The short answer is that we are not. Paper in the US is identified by dimensions, expressed in inches (8.5"x11", 8.5"x14", etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:13 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,029,787 times
Yes of course. If I moved to Italy or Spain I know for sure that I could not cope as I don't really like their culture. I don't like the way its really hot there all the time either. If I moved to Norway even though its foreign I think it would be a little different. Anglophone countries I could just settle in straight away, I bet if I moved to America I would not even take a month to settle down.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 AM

19,901 posts, read 24,624,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
"Culture shock" is generally grossly overused, especially for travel between developed/1st world majority Caucasian countries (US, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, etc). A country where everything isn't exactly like it is back in Small town, USA is not culture shock.

Government types are widely compatible (ie, you are going from one liberal democratic system to another), food is recognisable, value systems are broadly similar, English is widely spoken (where it isn't an official language), banking is hassle free, supermarkets exist and don't overwhelm you (ie you can figure out what Bier and Apfel are in a German supermarket etc etc).

The only advanced, 1st world country that I can think of with substantial, actual culture shock would be Japan. Language and culture are major departures from the Western comfort zone, for example. Going into the supermarket and one would have a hard time figuring out what something is beneath the packaging and Japanese characters.
Good points. I think it is over-used and exaggerated as well.

It really boils down to a question of personality, attitude and experience. I know people who say they get culture shock from going to certain parts of their own city. And who say it "feels like a foreign country".

For me personally, I don't really feel like a "fish out of water" anywhere that could be broadly called "western" and reasonably developed. And this is regardless of whether I speak the language or not. Things feel quite normal and familiar to me in Slovakia or Brazil. Not exactly like home of course, and it's not like other countries like the US, UK, Australia, or France, but certainly the differences aren't enough for me to totally lose my bearings.

Fish out of water places for me would be like China, India, etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM

4,934 posts, read 6,613,089 times
I've never expereinced straight-up "culture shock" while traveling outside the US....probably because my travels have been mostly to other "1st world countries."

For example, I spent 6 weeks in Australia one summer (Australian winter) and while there were many little differences in language, driving, topography, etc... I never felt completely like "OMG, what is this?" or... anything like that. I found Australia to be quite like America actually....in a lot of ways regarding day-to-day living. . Australia has a car-culture I feel similar to the US, language was generally the same, TV, news, newspapers, internet speeds, roads, etc.... all pretty similar... Even driving around the suburbs of Sydney was similar to US... houses, shops, movie theaters, etc. I spent a lot of time at the Warringah Mall... same stores at US malls--- kinda disappointed at that, but whatever.

Also, I spent a lot of time in Athens, Greece and that was a lot different that the US or Australia....tho not so different to where I experienced culture shock.

Part of me wants to experience culture shock. like, actual shock---

Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,463,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I've never expereinced straight-up "culture shock" while traveling outside the US....probably because my travels have been mostly to other "1st world countries."

For example, I spent 6 weeks in Australia one summer (Australian winter) and while there were many little differences in language, driving, topography, etc... I never felt completely like "OMG, what is this?" or... anything like that. I found Australia to be quite like America actually....in a lot of ways regarding day-to-day living. . Australia has a car-culture I feel similar to the US, language was generally the same, TV, news, newspapers, internet speeds, roads, etc.... all pretty similar... Even driving around the suburbs of Sydney was similar to US... houses, shops, movie theaters, etc. I spent a lot of time at the Warringah Mall... same stores at US malls--- kinda disappointed at that, but whatever.

Also, I spent a lot of time in Athens, Greece and that was a lot different that the US or Australia....tho not so different to where I experienced culture shock.

Part of me wants to experience culture shock. like, actual shock---
Pick almost any country in Africa is you want true culture shock.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes of course. If I moved to Italy or Spain I know for sure that I could not cope as I don't really like their culture. I don't like the way its really hot there all the time either. If I moved to Norway even though its foreign I think it would be a little different. Anglophone countries I could just settle in straight away, I bet if I moved to America I would not even take a month to settle down.
I doubt that.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:40 AM

843 posts, read 1,284,997 times
If you are well informed and well prepared, you won't be shocked.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,727,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I doubt that.
I usually dont say this to many people on city data but are you anti-american?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
How does telling a guy from Northern Ireland that it would take him more than a month to adjust to US culture equate to being anti-American?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 PM

15,212 posts, read 11,734,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Yes, the anti -american sentiment in those three words, was plain for all to see. That sentence was so full of hate and fury, that I felt physically ill just reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or