Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,356,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think it works like this in all of Europe. Haven't seen a designated bagger anywhere. That is what my point was.
I don't recall seeing any baggers in the areas of Europe I've visited either, but they were all markets in large urban areas. They either had a bar that switched between two spaces at the end of the conveyor belt so that one shopper can bag their items, while they ring up another shopper, who would then bag theirs at the other separated space.

If they didn't have this, they had a long table at the back or side for all shoppers to carry their items over to bag themselves. In addition to Europe, I recall Japan also had this table arrangement.

Have never seen either of this set-up in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM

26,858 posts, read 37,976,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I don't recall seeing any baggers in the areas of Europe I've visited either, but they were all markets in large urban areas. They either had a bar that switched between two spaces at the end of the conveyor belt so that one shopper can bag their items, while they ring up another shopper, who would then bag theirs at the other separated space.

If they didn't have this, they had a long table at the back or side for all shoppers to carry their items over to bag themselves. In addition to Europe, I recall Japan also had this table arrangement.

There are some grocery stores with that highlighted set-up here in Quebec (Canada). I was at one last night in fact.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 AM

26,858 posts, read 37,976,105 times
Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

Old 01-12-2018, 07:50 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,356,445 times
^^^ Yes, and also where the directional bar is located towards the bagging end.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:44 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,527,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think it works like this in all of Europe. Haven't seen a designated bagger anywhere. That is what my point was.
...and my point was that learning the way they do some grocery shopping in Europe wasn't a shock, but still a learning curve. I was rather offended at the degree the shopkeeper reacted when I dare pick up an apple. They were quite rude about it.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,527,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are some grocery stores with that highlighted set-up here in Quebec (Canada). I was at one last night in fact.
Real Canadian Superstores do that here. Like you mention, no frill type stores where you bag your own, seem to have this set up.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:42 PM

30 posts, read 49,032 times
I'm a U.S. citizen and have lived in most regions in the States. I was born in Appalachia (northeast TN), lived in Wyoming during college, Illinois, Utah, and a couple of states in New England. I moved to the Czech Republic for a year to attend grad school, and other than the language, didn't experience any culture shock per say. Czech culture and U.S. culture definitely aren't similar, but I was more fascinated than shocked. I loved the Czech Republic so much that I'm currently in the process of moving back.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM

6,534 posts, read 12,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
The U.S. is not first world.

Canada, Australia, Japan, and some European countries are first world.

The Gini Index is horrible in the U.S.A. (Gap between rich and poor), public schools are being replaced by under-performing charter schools (for profit), SOCIAL security is not social (even though the goverment collects social security from you) and it does not include social healthcare, and the cities are not walk-able so people get very heavy.

The U.S. is second world.

Some U.S. cities are first world but that does not mean the entire country is first world.
My old boss would disagree. He said that America is the ONLY first world country, and everything is perfect in America. Every other country is third world.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,712,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
My old boss would disagree. He said that America is the ONLY first world country, and everything is perfect in America. Every other country is third world.
dementia?

Old 02-05-2018, 04:16 PM

12,379 posts, read 8,128,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

The Food 4 Less warehouse chain,owned by Kroger/Ralphs, has that setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World