U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,299,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Different language?

Please slap yourself!!!
A lot of Irish immigrants to Aus in the 1800s spoke Irish Gaelic, aka "Irish".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,270,687 times
Oh my god...

Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM

16,416 posts, read 24,838,714 times
Add Chile to the list. There are parts in the south where people prefer speaking German.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 PM

1,265 posts, read 2,288,868 times
Argentina

Old 03-27-2014, 03:28 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,398,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yep, I think most non-first generation Aussies consider themselves to be simply "Australian". The only exception that to that is probably those who's ancestry can be traced back to only one country - and the aren't too many of those. Also, a lot of "European" Australians, based on physical features, look to have some traces of Chinese/Japanese or Aboriginal ancestry, even if that is limited to a single great-great grandparent in the 1800s. Julian Assange, for example, has a great-great grand parent who was a Torres Straight Islander. I don't know how that compares to Canada or the US.

Its a shame those tables don't break out the "other - 41.5%" - seems like a pretty large proportion to simply aggregate in that way. I suspect today that "other" is probably close on 50%, with UK born now slipping to 18-19% of the foreign born population.
Well these days more and more Australians are claiming Aboriginal background and do usually take pride on that. Many years ago many White looking Australians were ashamed of it.

In addition White looking New Zealanders do take pride in being part Maori and an example would be Russel Crowe.

It somewhat similar to South Africa as many White Africaners do usually have a distant Black African and Indonesian ansestor.

Many French Canadians would also have distant native ansestor as the first French Canadian settlers were mostly men and intermarriage was common for that time period.

Last edited by other99; 03-27-2014 at 03:41 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,526,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
If you are going by number of Filipinos with varying degrees of European blood admixture (even if it's a very small - at least in the single digits percentage), you may have a point. But if you are going by the number of Filipinos who are of purely (or largely) European descent, I would be hard pressed to believe there are a million (or more) of them in the Philippines. However, no one will truly know as the Census doesn't keep track of figures with regards to ethnic background...

Just the opinion of someone who lives in the country. Thanks.
There are easily a million who are visibly mestizos, probably much more than that. But pure white Filipinos probably number 100-200,000, I'm guessing. If you included all the white expats, it's probably closer to half a million.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:46 AM

12,059 posts, read 9,387,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the US has probably the most.. with spanish, french and english early colonization.. as well as large immigrations from Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Norway.. (half the population of Norway immigrated to the United states in the late 1800's and early 1900's) later came the irish, and italians, I think hands down the US is the best representation of European Ancestry that has blended into a single nation of people.. I myself can name 6-10 countries in europe I have ancestry from... and I'm not alone..much of this was due to open land being offered for free in the interior of America.. Boise where I live has the largest concentration of Basque people outside of the Basque region in spain. There are places in Eastern Idaho where large groups of people from Sweden settled, where highways are called "New Sweden road" etc.. and you see lots of blondes running around still

Exactly! My area has loads of people with multiple Euro ancestry mostly Irish, Italian, Polish, German and English. Also quite a few Swedish and Dutch. I know maybe a handful of people here that are of one single European ancestry. The vasy majority are just a multi-mix of European. Australia is much more British Isles ancestry.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM

19,493 posts, read 21,178,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Oh my god...
Irish Gaelic was the predominant language, especially of the poorer and rural parts until the mid 19th century. What part about this is confusing to you?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,299,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Exactly! My area has loads of people with multiple Euro ancestry mostly Irish, Italian, Polish, German and English. Also quite a few Swedish and Dutch. I know maybe a handful of people here that are of one single European ancestry. The vasy majority are just a multi-mix of European. Australia is much more British Isles ancestry.
That reflects the 200 year head start the US had on Australia, where free immigration really only began in the early-mid 1800s. Interestingly enough, today the US is far less of a nation of immigrants than Aus, with the foreign born population being "only" 13% compared to 27%, numbers that reflect the immigration patterns trhough most of the 20th and early 21st centuries.

Last edited by Richard1098; 03-28-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 AM

32 posts, read 23,893 times
Australia and Argentina, and I'm referring to Europeans, not hyphenated Americans or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or