Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore36 View Post
^
True, I misread your post. I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 04:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Those identifying solely as American are primarily southerners from the areas that received very little or no immigration. In America everyone flaunts the most exciting ethnicity in their background. So for example, someone who is almost entirely English ancestry will identify as German due to that one great-grandparent. Other ancestries are cool to have - like Irish. In the US there is a solid, national identity and culture. People are confident that they can identify as German and still be 100% American. Americans don't have to convince themselves that they are American, or that such a culture or identity exists. Americans also don't need to convince the rest of the world that they are American because the rest of the world is quite of aware of Americans. Whether defined negatively or positively, American culture, and the invasion of American culture into other foreign cultures is often a topic of debate in other countries. Anything from eating a hamburger to wearing a baseball cap or listening to hip-hop and country can be labeled as being American culture.

In Canada, the national culture, if there is such a thing, is very shaky at best and the government does it's best to encourage people to see themselves as Canadians first and foremost. Canada was recently just a part of the British Empire (like Australia), but is essentially two countries in one, and based off of the conquest of one of the countries. Additionally, English Canadians reside next to a much larger and more important English speaking country who they strikingly resemble. As a result, the government has tried to meld the two solitudes into one single nation through policies encompassing a wide spectrum of political thought. Still, when you look at the Canada's map of ancestral identification, you will see that the areas identifying as "Canadian" are overwhelmingly the French speaking areas where inhabitants can trace their ancestry back to the 1600's. The vast majority of English Canada - especially in terms of population distribution - identifies as something else on the map.

I imagine Australia is not as extreme in it's cultural insecurity as Canada since it is not based off of the conquest of a French colony, and it is not a government shared between two nations of people. However, the insecurity of the Australian identity is made public in debates over monarchy and republicanism, as well as the debate over changing the national flag. One can see arguments for changing things often boil down to simply creating an Australian identity, or to distinguish Australia as being something other than a British colony. I think this ties into a common outside perspective that Australians are little more than cooler Britons living in a warmer climate. Perhaps it is a desire to establish an identity outside of being British or a former British colony that leads Australians to identify as "Australian" rather than English/Irish/Scottish in greater numbers.

@ RMoore - I am not arguing that Americans don't listen to British music, receive British immigration, or have traditions stemming from the British. Such an argument is ridiculous. What I am arguing is that the Britishness of America pales in comparison to Australia. If you were to walk down a street in Australia you are far more likely run into a Briton, the son of a Briton, or the grandchild of a Briton than in America. You are far more likely to see British television, and the extent of British traditions impacting your life would be much more great. Also, RMoore, the British most certainly did not remain the largest immigrant group from 1820-1980. The source you provided does not say that anywhere, it only says that a raw number of 8 million Britons came to America between 1820-1980. German immigration outnumbered British immigration by about 2-1 from the early-mid 1800's until the 1920's-30's, and the British were only accounted for about half of all immigrants even before independence in 1776.
The very public debates in Australia on those issues is largely a result of our constitution. In essence, apart from the flag (partly), these arrangements are prescribed and dealt with in that piece of law, and any changes to it require a referendum. Approval by a majority of voters in aggregate, and by voters in a majority of states is required for any change. So it invariably is a matter of public debate.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yes, that's why I never really take too much notice of someone's surname here. You just can't tell what their ethnic background is with any certainty. I watched the Australian edition of "Who do you think you are" recently, and it really brought home just how mixed the average Aussie is.

Adam Hills - he must be Anglo, right? Wrong - Adam Hills | Episode 1 | Season 5 | Who Do You Think You Are on SBS

Lex Marinos - a true Greek? Not really, Lex Marinos | Episode 5 | Season 5 | Who Do You Think You Are on SBS
Yes I seen that show. The last time I saw it, it was Ita Butrose who is owns some prominent women magazines and she is part Jewish.

Singapore and Hong Kong has traditionally had the biggest European communities in East Asia and Thailand would probably have the biggest European communities in East Asia today.

In West Asia it is Israel the biggest followed by the United Arab Emerates. Yet Turkey it a different piece of cake as it is in Europe and Asia.

Last edited by other99; 03-31-2014 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM

85 posts, read 154,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

I imagine Australia is not as extreme in it's cultural insecurity as Canada since it is not based off of the conquest of a French colony, and it is not a government shared between two nations of people. However, the insecurity of the Australian identity is made public in debates over monarchy and republicanism, as well as the debate over changing the national flag. One can see arguments for changing things often boil down to simply creating an Australian identity, or to distinguish Australia as being something other than a British colony. I think this ties into a common outside perspective that Australians are little more than cooler Britons living in a warmer climate. Perhaps it is a desire to establish an identity outside of being British or a former British colony that leads Australians to identify as "Australian" rather than English/Irish/Scottish in greater numbers.

That's not an argument i hear. I hear frequently that both the monarchy and the flag as they stand are divisive and unrepresentative.

Australians identify as Australian and not English/Irish/Scottish because we are, in every way. From the first settlers children the people of this country (not necessarily the establishment) have felt Australian. Take a man like Ned Kelly. Raised in an Irish only community. Proud of his Irish heritage but even in that environment he identified as a Victorian. We have only grown further apart since then. We don't feel a strong tie to these countries, they are foreign. Familiar but foreign.
We have a different culture, way of life, prevailing attitudes and national psyche. The respective countries create very different people.
Visit any English forum discussing an Australian sports team, they aren't commenting on how we're oh so similar to them. They generally aren't fond of our 'Australianess'. The outside perspective may well be that we are just 'little Britain' but to us that is not at all the case, hence we identify as Australian.

Last edited by FrankDrebin; 04-01-2014 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 12:12 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Usage correction: decendent, not decedent.

Decedent means someone who has died.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:09 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
This is a very American-type thread but it made me wonder if most Americans would consider Sofia Vergara as white?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This is a very American-type thread but it made me wonder if most Americans would consider Sofia Vergara as white?
I don't think so she would be lumped into the Latino/Hispanic category. Most Americans have no clue where Colombia is or that it's even a Spanish speaking country most take about 3 seconds to look and listen anything remotely not "White" get's pigeonholed into some other category. Based on what I noticed most
"white-Americans" have a very narrow view of what white is and "black-Americans" tend to lump anyone remotely "white-looking" into the white slot.(completely the opposite).

Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
They don't have to be a majority population. Just countries with millions, or just a large population of people of European decent?

US
Canada
Argentina
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Am I missing any? And isn't the population of "whites", in all of these countries declining as well?
Countries with highest white population in the world;

USA – 240 millions
Russia - 140 millions
Brazil – 100 millions
Germany – 80 millions

In the top 4, 2 are not in Europe and 1 are half part in Europe

Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I don't think so she would be lumped into the Latino/Hispanic category. Most Americans have no clue where Colombia is or that it's even a Spanish speaking country most take about 3 seconds to look and listen anything remotely not "White" get's pigeonholed into some other category. Based on what I noticed most
"white-Americans" have a very narrow view of what white is and "black-Americans" tend to lump anyone remotely "white-looking" into the white slot.(completely the opposite).
You're probably mostly right. Let me rephrase my question because I know most people on city-data are a bit more informed than your average person on the street.

Who of the city data members would consider Sofia Vergara white? She's actually a natural blonde, she just died her hair and puts a lot of bronzer on to get work but I've seen Geordie lasses with more bronzer and if when they opened their mouth a spanish accent came out instead of Geordie I don't think people would think twice about them being South American or such.

If for example Catherine Zeta-Jones or David Ghandy had a spanish accent would they be stripped of their "whiteness" in the States?

Here are some pictures of Sofia Vergara naturally when she was younger. Would she not be considered white? It's not particularly important just interesting how perceptions are different.

Source: Sofia Vergara photos as a child reveal she had pizzazz at a young age | Daily Mail Online

SofiaVergara joven by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Here's a video where she talks about having to purposefully darken here hair and complexion to get work in the States. Minute 3:00 - 3:40

Old 06-04-2018, 04:06 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
In most areas of Philippines, you can go days or even weeks without seeing a single White face on the streets.

Some people overestimate the racial impact that Europeans left on Philippines, it was not that significant. Saying Philippines has a large White population is like saying Russia has a large Negro population.

The White demographic in Philippines is so insignificant that it makes South Africa look like Sweden in comparison.
Both smtchll and I addressed this earlier in the thread, and we both agree the Philippines does NOT belong in the said list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World