Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 21,528 times

Advertisements

It's not like I'm moving anytime soon, but if things don't work out where i currently am, I HAVE always wanted to see more of the world. Except, it isn't so much that I want to see more of the world, rather, it's that I want to live in a more beautiful and different part of the world that I like.

I've read that frequent flying actually permanently lowers your memory skills and can increase chances for health issues, plus I can't possibly see all of the world in my lifetime without spending a decent amount of time and money in my life to pull it off. I'd rather stay in one nice place that I like and make friends.

I guess what I'm hoping to get out of this thread is a basic, thin idea of what places I might consider moving to some day, just to get me thinking ahead of time, though I'm most likely am thinking too early. If I'm gonna make a big move, I would prefer to move out of the country, but I"ll even settle for cities in the US as suggestions.

I prefer a fair or large-sized town or any size of city. I always wanted to live in some place near, in, or with a beautiful view of something like the ocean, forests, mountains or a canyon.

I don't think I would want to live in a tourist trap, but it would be nice to live in a place with people of different kinds of ethnicity and/or nationalities. I also want to live in a place where it won't be TOO hard to find people who are nice to outsiders or newcomers and make friends with them.

Also...I really like exotic women. I don't know of all the different ethnic groups in the world, and I'm not picky when it comes to race, but I really like exotic women. As a matter as fact, Asian women and Middle-Eastern women are my favorite. You see, I'm Block, and I live in Tennessee in the US, so most people here are Black people and White people.

Now, like I said, I'm not picky when it comes to race, it's just I like what I consider exotic women more than I like Black and White women appearance-wise, and a lot of Black women and girls that I see where I live are really ghetto. Now, with what I consider to be ghetto, I don't mind and sometimes even like a little bit of attitude and/or ghetto-ness, especially when it isn't directed at me in a hostile-way (since ghetto does NOT equal hostile), but I mean some of the women here are REALLY ghetto! Though I DO find White women and Black women from other countries kind of exotic, and at least there's a fair number of Hispanic or some kind of Latino women in Tennessee, and I find THEM pretty exotic.

Also, I do occasionally see an Asian girl or Muslim woman walking around in a store, though I'm not interested in a Muslim person, I'm interested in Middle-Eastern women, just before anyone starts to ask me if I know the difference between race and religious belief. I'm not against it, it's just that I don't want to date anyone who's strongly religious.

So, any place with a decent variety in races or at least a place where I have a fair enough time running into someone who's exotic to ME like that, is a place I want to hear about.

I don't know a whole lot about jobs, technology and politics in different countries, so it's kind of hard to define what I want there just yet. I guess I would prefer to live somewhere that isn't too expensive to live in and isn't too difficult to get into, with internet connection, no restrictions on technology and luxuries so I can still enjoy online games and easily keep in touch with people. Also, it would be nice if it is not too strict on laws, is fairly safe enough in at least some parts of the city, and is a place where I can still continue to pursue a career in things like game development or engineering, or any technical career like that.

Oh, and some place with toilet paper, though I can try what the locals do. I've read that toilet paper isn't very common in a lot of places in the world, but I have a hard time imagining how a toilet that sprays water at my rear is gonna thoroughly clean it and not get my underwear wet, though I think there was a video of it one time, though I can't remember the name of the toilet.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 AM

10,646 posts, read 15,972,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace View Post

I've read that frequent flying actually permanently lowers your memory skills and can increase chances for health issues..
LINK please.

I think Brazil, Colombia, Panama, Ecuador or the Dominican Republic is best for you.
Hear great things about Rio de Janeiro.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Well if you considering moving to another country where you aren't a citizen, then you have to figure how to get a residency permit or work visa that will allow you to move there.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Yes, I am aware of this, but I'm a bit curious, do I have to be fluent in the native language of the country I'm planning on moving to? English is my primary language, and I would prefer to move somwhere where people mostly speak English, but I'm prepared to learn another language. It's not like I was expecting it to not be required. I have been told that it can be harder to get into some countries than it is to get into others, so that's worth looking into.

As far as the frequent flying thing goes, it's something I just read on Cracked. They cite their sources, but I never like telling people that I got this and that information from a comedy site. It kind of feels like I'm saying that I believe those fake newspapers for sale in grocery stores that are printed for the funny. Plus, I haven't read anything about memory loss from jet lag on Wikipedia, so take this info with a grain of salt. Jet lag still sucks, though.

5 Things You Won't Believe Are Making You Dumber | Cracked.com

Also, I've heard from Hobo Traveller that the Dominican Republic is a dangerous place. Something about lack of law and people trying to act like gangstas from some action movies they see from the US. http://www.hobotraveler.com/dangers/...lee-graham.php But I assume that not all parts of the DR are dangerous, right? Afterall, he does say that he "[He is] only trying to minimize getting robbed or killed. [He] volunteer to go to places, associated with bad people, and to travel in countries that have numerous problems."

And, yes. I will consider Rio. Is it expensive to live in Rio?

Last edited by Glace; 02-23-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 AM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times
How about Singapore? The primary language is English with plenty of opportunities to learn other languages, the city/nation is on an island so you are always close to the sea and close to a lot of beautiful coastal destinations, the place is lacking in historic architecture but has very nice modern architecture, a lot of Eastern, Southern, and Southeast Asian women there. Unemployment is low there and provided you have some kind of useful skill, immigration there for work isn't too bad. The only thing is that they are squeaky clean there so stuff like spitting, chewing gum (and putting it elsewhere), smoking cigarettes, etc. are very restricted and drugs even as basic as marijuana gets you severe penalties. If none of that applies to you, then Singapore could work out pretty well. You will be living in pretty cramped rooms (big city living) but if you don't need a yard and a parlour room then you should be fine.

Also, Cracked is great.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Frequent flying does not mean two or three tourism round trips a year. It means traveling a couple of times a month, enduring the jet lag and the airport stress and hermetically sealed inside planes full of people with communicable diseases as a regular part of your daily life. Here's the dumbed down media synopsis of the study: http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2010/11/24/jetlag/

I suspect that, as you get to know more and more "exotic" people on an intimate basis, you will discover that the real treasures of your social/romantic life will involve people with whom yon can share common memories and cultural whims. There is an old Turkish proverb, "Never marry someone you cannot play Trivia with". Or sing the theme songs of old cartoon shows, the kinds of things that bring lasting marital bliss when the honeymoon is over.

"If I were to move" Subjunctive Mood. http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/grammar_subjunctive.html

Last edited by jtur88; 02-23-2013 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 PM

Thanks, jtur the Grammar Nazi. XD No, seriously. I'm taking English Comp II, so it's a pretty useful reminder and link.

Assuming that I understand what you're talking about, as far as meeting someone with same or similar cultural background, I have no doubt that it will affect things, but I honestly don't care. That being said, I would prefer someone who's of a similar urban-style culture as the people around me now, and it WOULD be nice if we had more culture-based things in common, but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

Also, I don't really care to smoke marijuana, and I'm never gonna try any illegal drugs like cocaine or meth, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't spit very often, and I don't smoke, but as far a chewing gum goes, are they seriously that uptight about that in Singapore? I don't plan on owning a house until much later in my life, if even then, and as long as the apartments aren't as cramp as Japan's to live in, I think it ought to be fine. If it IS like in Japan, then I'll still consider.

I'll have to research these different places. If anyone has anymore suggestions, go ahead and tell me!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 PM

956 posts, read 1,764,318 times
The flats in Singapore are larger than those in Japan, I don't think studios are common there. However, I don't believe that Singaporeans in general, like blacks. Just to to let you know.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Thanks, jtur the Grammar Nazi. XD No, seriously. I'm taking English Comp II, so it's a pretty useful reminder and link.

Assuming that I understand what you're talking about, as far as meeting someone with same or similar cultural background, I have no doubt that it will affect things, but I honestly don't care. That being said, I would prefer someone who's of a similar urban-style culture as the people around me now, and it WOULD be nice if we had more culture-based things in common, but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

Also, I don't really care to smoke marijuana, and I'm never gonna try any illegal drugs like cocaine or meth, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't spit very often, and I don't smoke, but as far a chewing gum goes, are they seriously that uptight about that in Singapore? I don't plan on owning a house until much later in my life, if even then, and as long as the apartments aren't as cramp as Japan's to live in, I think it ought to be fine. If it IS like in Japan, then I'll still consider.

I'll have to research these different places. If anyone has anymore suggestions, go ahead and tell me!
It's more they are really big on keeping the city squeaky clean so they try to dissuade things like chewing gum so people won't just throw it anywhere. If you're big on chewing gum and even bigger on throwing it anywhere rather than finding a trash receptacle then it becomes a problem. It's like all the things you aren't supposed to do (littering, peeing in the street corner, etc.) now actually get enforced and have penalties, but if you never really run into that stuff or have any of these habits then Singapore works out just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
The flats in Singapore are larger than those in Japan, I don't think studios are common there. However, I don't believe that Singaporeans in general, like blacks. Just to to let you know.
He'll stand out but not necessarily in a bad way. There'll be some misdirected broad stereotypes from mostly US popular media, but it's not really deep-rooted and is unlikely to personally interfere. Or at least that's my perception.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Quote:
, but as far a chewing gum goes, are they seriously that uptight about that in Singapore?!

Don't worry about gum in Singapore. It is legal to chew gum, just not legal to sell it or import it in marketable quantities. You can buy all you want nn Johor Baru, a half hour bus ride away in Malaysia, and bring "personal quantities" home with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World