Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Racist Developed Countries
Norway 7 1.85%
Australia 55 14.51%
America 116 30.61%
Germany 23 6.07%
Netherlands 7 1.85%
Sweden 10 2.64%
Ireland 12 3.17%
New Zealand 1 0.26%
Switzerland 16 4.22%
Japan 132 34.83%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Cali, I think what she's saying is that artists activly create jazz and hip hop in Europe. Not that it originated in that region of the world.
Its like you saying hockey teams are welcome and created in America. And me saying WHAT!?!?!?! Hockey was NOT created in America! ARE YOU HIGH????!!!!!!!

No, of course it wasn't. But America likes hockey, and assimilated a Canadian sport into the fold, continuing to create new teams for junior/minor/NHL, etc.......

Do you know what I'm trying to say here? I'm not sure if that was a good analogy or not. lol
Thankyou for clarifying and if your talking to me I didn't say hockey was invented in America lol I'm not that crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Thankyou for clarifying and if your talking to me I didn't say hockey was invented in America lol I'm not that crazy.

No, I was using it as an example. And, no problem.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Sorry if this sounds rude but...Nobody is thinking of Canada in general let alone Mexico. When people think of the America its synonymous with the U.S. You may not like it but its true.
Equally, you may not like the definition found in Webster's Dictionary!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I think different concepts are getting meshed into this discussion.

For one thing,colorism is a bigger issue than racism. I'm pretty sure a. Indian who looks white that dresses in modern clothing will be perceived very differently than a Dark skinned Tamil who wears modern clothing.

Most are also getting religion mixed up with race. I'm pretty sure apif a Swedish Muslim of Swedish descent who wears a tee shirt and sweatpnats will be percieved with less prejudice than a Swedish Muslim of Swedish descent who wears traditional clothing.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:00 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
What are you basing this on?
Straight-up ignorance and stereotypes would be my guess. I very much doubt the OP has aver been to half of the countries he listed, never mind all of them.

I wonder which of these countries he resides in...?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
any links

America and Norway is shown to be pretty tolerant overall alongside Australia and Sweden...

Map shows world's most racist countries (and the answers may surprise you) | Mail Online
1.Interviews and surveys are research methods used to produce qualitative data rather than numbers, percentages and graphs which is quantitative data.

2.You cannot take the results of a survey of 1500 people and say they are representative of country with a population of 154 million which was the case with Bangladesh AS AN EXAMPLE.
This is the link to the actual survey data
World Values Survey
The WVS 5 wave aggregated file includes the surveys conducted by the WVS from 1981 to 2008 in 87 societes, totalling more than 256.000 interviews.

So over 10 years and 87 societies ONLY 256,000 interviews. Do they mean interviews or survey respondents? Big difference.

A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries
And the company who did the survey published the figures for Bangladesh and Hong Kong incorrectly
Correction: This post originally indicated that, according to the World Values Survey, 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis and 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers had said that they would not want a neighbor of a different race. In fact, those numbers appear to be substantially lower, 28.3 percent and 26.8 percent, respectively. In both cases, World Values appears to have erroneously posted the incorrect data on its Web site. Ashirul Amin, posting at the Tufts University Fletcher School’s emerging markets blog, looked into the data for Bangladesh and discovered the mistake. My thanks to Amin, who is Bangladeshi and was able to read the original questionnaire, for pointing this out. His analysis is worth reading in full, but here’s his conclusion:
The short answer is, yes, someone did fat finger this big time. "Yes" and "No" got swapped in the second round of the survey, which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I didn't say anything about population size. I only mentioned the percentage of blacks in certain European countries compared to the US because it's a relevant factor. If blacks only constitute 1% of a country then of course you are going to see less of them in prominent places (or anywhere else in society). It's just common sense. Let's turn it around though: how many prominent Muslims are there in the US? As someone mentioned before, Norway has a Muslim Minister of Culture. In the Netherlands, the mayor of Rotterdam (the second largest city in the country) is a Muslim. We also have successful Muslim artists and athletes. How many Muslim mayors, ministers and popular celebrities are there in the US? If it's not as much as in Western Europe, I guess that means Americans are more xenophobic towards Muslims. See how that makes no sense?

These are no "small time names" in The Netherlands, these are major celebrities here. As others have mentioned, many black Dutch celebrities are actually quite famous abroad as well (especially football players). I can assure you that more people around the world know who Rijkaard, Gullit, Kluivert or Seedorf are than any player in the NFL.

Because Ireland or Sweden are nowhere near as diverse. Are native Swedes and Irish racist because they dare to be the majority in their own country? You might as well ask why there are no white people in Somalia's NT, or why there are no blacks in China's NT.

The only European countries with a reasonable black population are France and The Netherlands, and even there it's only around 5%. To compare the US to countries like Norway and Ireland is simply ridiculous.

For the record, here are France and The Netherlands' national football teams (football is by far the most popular sport here):

France:

The Netherlands:

Jazz and hip-hop are surely created and welcomed in The Netherlands and other European countries. We have plenty of our own successful rap artists.

And there is a black female as successful as Beyonce in the UK: Emeli Sandé - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Racism in France happens much more towards Arabs than towards Africans or other black people. I don't know about Netherlands.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:12 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,565,129 times
White, English-speaking? Come on in. Poor, Asian? Get lost. It's time we addressed our prejudices towards migrants

Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 25,556 times
I have not been to a more racist country in my life than France.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
that article is from 2009, and outdated. UK immigration policy has changed since then. It is now very difficult for americans to emirate to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World