U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Racist Developed Countries
Norway 6 1.73%
Australia 50 14.41%
America 108 31.12%
Germany 23 6.63%
Netherlands 7 2.02%
Sweden 10 2.88%
Ireland 8 2.31%
New Zealand 1 0.29%
Switzerland 16 4.61%
Japan 118 34.01%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:42 AM

7,457 posts, read 8,718,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Again, Irish people are considered white so fuss are not looked down upon in the same way as a Nigerian or a indigenous Australian.

There's a system in society that actively oppresses people of colour an Irish person are not oppressed *anymore*

Oppressed may seem like a strong word but its true especially for Muslims, indigenous people of the Americas, Oceania and dark skinned Africans.

Search - Racial hierarchy...
they ( irish ) are white but traditionally were filed as " white ethnic " ( along with italians , poles ) due to the fact that they were not protestant , granted this was more the case in the usa , irish were filed under anglo - celtic in australia down the years
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Australia is not as tolerant as the proponents say, but it's not like the detractors think it is.

Australia is certainly not worse than Japan. Different countries are at different stages in assimilating immigrants. Australia hasn't been as integrated for as long as a few countries in the Anglosphere.
japan doesnt get a hard time about its immigration policy ( its their business how they run things btw ) because its population are not white

liberals only care about the alleged wrongdoings of whites

Old 10-25-2014, 11:59 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,480,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

i would say the only country where the irish are greatly respected is the usa
The Irish not respected in Australia? Huh? Irish influence runs pretty deep in Australian history and culture, particularly southern Irish Catholic. When Aussies make a light hearted joke about the Irish, it's their own heritage and history they're joking about.

The Irish seem to be portrayed in a pretty stereotypical manner in a lot of US tv shows and movies.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:02 PM

9,992 posts, read 10,795,522 times
Quote:
they ( irish ) are white but traditionally were filed as " white ethnic " ( along with italians , poles ) due to the fact that they were not protestant , granted this was more the case in the usa , irish were filed under anglo - celtic in australia down the years
I know...

Old 10-25-2014, 04:35 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,176,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontstaryy View Post
Australia has a lot of people who were not Australians earlier in their life, or have both Australian and another citizenship. People just cannot treat you as a simple Aussie.
People that have spent most of their life here are treated as Aussies.
This extends to all immigrants and not just the Anglosphere.
In North America, they would be still referred to as Other country-Americans.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:17 PM

843 posts, read 1,463,686 times
Quote:
japan doesnt get a hard time about its immigration policy ( its their business how they run things btw ) because its population are not white

liberals only care about the alleged wrongdoings of whites
Japan is awesome.

But many people perceive Japan as a racist country only because it is the only developed country where white people are not really always the first-class citizens.

The bottom line is: hate crime is very rare in Japan, no KKK, no racial segregation, no Blacks/Latinos playing race cards.

However, with little racial tension in the past, Japanese haven't learned the science and arts of political correctness in America. You don't see liberals trying to sell their nonsense like affirmative action in Japan.

I would say Japan is more color blind than any other western country.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:10 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,981,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
The Simpsons portrays the US in a cynical light. I can hardly see how Australian sensibilities are offended by it. Contrast that to an American executive with a Mexican background who was put into cartoons as wearing a sombrero and riding a donkey.

As far as foreign-born population, I think that the stats are misleading. I'm an Australian citizen and so are my daughters, but the three of us were born in New York City. Their maternal grandfather was born in Amsterdam. Much (if not most) of the foreign born population was born in the UK, Ireland, NZ and South Africa. That's hardly indicative of diversity. I know that Australia is diverse because I live here, but those stats are misleading.
As Richards link does not seem to work, 30% of Australia's migrants come from one of those 4 countries. Which is slightly more than the portion of US immigrants than are from Mexico.

You can't really throw a blanket over them either, naturally some of the south Africans and British in Australia are not white.
Australia's New Zealand born population though are quite a diverse bunch,. At the last census 130,000 of Australia's 480,000 kiwi immigrants identified as themselves as Maori, on top of that you have New Zealanders with ancestries tied to other Polynesia'n Countries.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:06 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,560,568 times
Quote:
i hate political correctness so i have no problem with " irish jokes " in nearly all cases but i do know that in most countries which still have a very strong british culture and sensibility , their is a tollerance for poking fun at the irish , those countries include australia and new zealand

i would say the only country where the irish are greatly respected is the usa

i say that as someone who likes the english and england btw
I think Australians view Irish as very much one of them and part of their history. I think Australians have a larrikin streak in them and no one is safe . Possibly this is what people see as racist in Aussies in that they are very outspoken and will joke about everything.

Irish though are one of the few people were it seems okay to make fun of and I just find it immature. Another group that cops the jokes here are New Zealanders and the "POMS" to some extent. It appears okay to joke about these people in the media but it wouldn't be tolerated with anyone else. It is done in a light hearted view but if people knew the history of the Irish these jokes are very derogatory and part of the time when the Irish were discriminated against.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
The Irish not respected in Australia? Huh? Irish influence runs pretty deep in Australian history and culture, particularly southern Irish Catholic. When Aussies make a light hearted joke about the Irish, it's their own heritage and history they're joking about.

The Irish seem to be portrayed in a pretty stereotypical manner in a lot of US tv shows and movies.
first of all im ok with taking the p1ss out of nationalities in a harmless way , what i meant was , people in australia and new zealand would be less casual about mocking many other nations , ive nothing against australia

Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 PM

38 posts, read 52,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoleo View Post
I voted Australia since a lot of people there don't even consider southern Europeans to be white.
This is strange because most people here consider Southern Europeans to be white and most don't even notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World