Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Racist Developed Countries
Norway 7 1.85%
Australia 55 14.51%
America 116 30.61%
Germany 23 6.07%
Netherlands 7 1.85%
Sweden 10 2.64%
Ireland 12 3.17%
New Zealand 1 0.26%
Switzerland 16 4.22%
Japan 132 34.83%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

That's because they are already many Irish in Australia before Australia became a country. People not originated from the British Isles have different expierences in Austalia, a few racist incidents every year is common for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
What do you base this on? You come across as completely biased. My family are Irish immigrants to Australia and I've found this a very fair country. I've had relatives that have went to the UK and suffered much more racism than ever occurred here. They went to the UK in less enlightened times when the Irish were treated very harshly. This has changed but it is within living memory. Australia is much more transparent because Australians are much more willing to confront things and willing to discuss more unsavoury aspects of the human condition. I just find them a bit more honest.

Have you ever lived any length of time in Australia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,732,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeslw View Post
That's because they are already many Irish in Australia before Australia became a country. People not originated from the British Isles have different expierences in Austalia, a few racist incidents every year is common for them.
I remember hearing a non-white immigrant complaining about workplace anti-discrimination programs here in Aus. In short, in all the years they had lived in Australia they had never, in their view, been subject to racial discrimination or harassment, so they resented being told again and again how to take action against discriminatory behaviour. The only discrimination they had experienced was back in their home country. True story.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,712 times
Many Japanese do not like non-Japanese in their country, but they don't talk about it openly, respecting people including foreigners is very important in Japanese culture.

Koreans, Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese and Taiwanese, they don't hide it when they don't like outsiders. They talk racist things and joke about other people, including people from another province, in their languages among themselves. Racist or regional discrimination is common in internet in those countries. People talk racistly without any respect, do not care if someone is offended. They like to think like "Just get out of my place if you don't like the way we think, you are only a minority in our place"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
Australia is not as tolerant as the proponents say, but it's not like the detractors think it is.

Australia is certainly not worse than Japan. Different countries are at different stages in assimilating immigrants. Australia hasn't been as integrated for as long as a few countries in the Anglosphere.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:38 AM

125 posts, read 162,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
If you mean compared to the US, well yes the US is much older so has a longer history and hence a longer history as a destination for migrants. But on the flip side, in recent times it has also been much less of a migrant nation, with a far lower proportion of its population born elsewhere.

People also look at these issues through their own cultural context and history as well. By way of example, while shows like the Simpsons may be regarded as light humor, I’ve met more than a few people here who find the level of ethnic and racial stereotyping and profiling pretty confronting. Same goes for many of the shows out of the UK that are broadcast here.
The Simpsons portrays the US in a cynical light. I can hardly see how Australian sensibilities are offended by it. Contrast that to an American executive with a Mexican background who was put into cartoons as wearing a sombrero and riding a donkey.

As far as foreign-born population, I think that the stats are misleading. I'm an Australian citizen and so are my daughters, but the three of us were born in New York City. Their maternal grandfather was born in Amsterdam. Much (if not most) of the foreign born population was born in the UK, Ireland, NZ and South Africa. That's hardly indicative of diversity. I know that Australia is diverse because I live here, but those stats are misleading.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
The Simpsons portrays the US in a cynical light. I can hardly see how Australian sensibilities are offended by it.
Offended no. But surprised and a "what the..." reaction: definitely yes. Gangsters - Italian of course, stereotypical Indians: they're all there.

Not sure what stats you're referring to. But today about 13% of the US populations foreign born. That's not too different to many old word European countries and way short of countries like Australia and Canada. At June 2010 the ABS stat was 27% foreign born.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Much (if not most) of the foreign born population was born in the UK, Ireland, NZ and South Africa.
Here are the ABS stats:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....ulation%20(3.6)

In that stat for North West Europe are not only Brits and Irish, but the Dutch and Germans. And for NZ, they're hardly a homogenous lot: Anglo-Scotiish, mainland European, Maori, Pacific Islander.

Last edited by Richard1098; 10-25-2014 at 03:13 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 03:34 AM

7 posts, read 8,832 times
Australia has a lot of people who were not Australians earlier in their life, or have both Australian and another citizenship. People just cannot treat you as a simple Aussie.
Quote:
The Simpsons portrays the US in a cynical light. I can hardly see how Australian sensibilities are offended by it. Contrast that to an American executive with a Mexican background who was put into cartoons as wearing a sombrero and riding a donkey.

As far as foreign-born population, I think that the stats are misleading. I'm an Australian citizen and so are my daughters, but the three of us were born in New York City. Their maternal grandfather was born in Amsterdam. Much (if not most) of the foreign born population was born in the UK, Ireland, NZ and South Africa. That's hardly indicative of diversity. I know that Australia is diverse because I live here, but those stats are misleading.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 AM

9,970 posts, read 12,327,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Here are the ABS stats:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....ulation%20(3.6)

In that stat for North West Europe are not only Brits and Irish, but the Dutch and Germans. And for NZ, they're hardly a homogenous lot: Anglo-Scotiish, mainland European, Maori, Pacific Islander.
When was the white Australia policy abolished again? 30 years ago.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,433,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
When was the white Australia policy abolished again? 30 years ago.

Is was dismantled over a 19 year period between 1947 and 1966.

1947 The Chifley Labor Government relaxed the Immigration Restriction Act allowing non-Europeans the right to settle permanently in Australia for business reasons.
1949 Immigration Minister Harold Holt permitted 800 non-European refugees to stay, and Japanese war brides to be admitted.[31]
1950 External Affairs Minister Percy Spender instigated the Colombo Plan, under which students from Asian countries were admitted to study at Australian universities.
1957 Non-Europeans with 15 years' residence in Australia were allowed to become citizens.
1958 Revised Migration Act, 1958 abolished the dictation test and introduced a simpler system for entry. Immigration Minister, Sir Alexander Downer, announced that 'distinguished and highly qualified Asians' might immigrate.
1959 Australians were permitted to sponsor Asian spouses for citizenship.
1964 Conditions of entry for people of non-European stock were relaxed
1966, the Holt Liberal Government introduced the Migration Act, 1966, a watershed moment in immigration reform, which effectively dismantled the White Australia Policy.

White Australia policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although large scale Asian immigration to Australia did not start until the Vietnamese refugee Crisis in the late 1970's.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:39 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,231,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Irish have still had a lot of discrimination and this is documented. I have close friends that are Asian that I've known most of my life and they haven't suffered any more negativity than I have. There are still numerous Irish jokes and I find them derogatory. I don't understand how people can feel superior to other people based on nationality and race. I just look on that sort of thing as being flawed. I honestly think that most people judge people as they find them. If you are a well balanced person who is friendly people will respond to that.
i hate political correctness so i have no problem with " irish jokes " in nearly all cases but i do know that in most countries which still have a very strong british culture and sensibility , their is a tollerance for poking fun at the irish , those countries include australia and new zealand

i would say the only country where the irish are greatly respected is the usa

i say that as someone who likes the english and england btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World