Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The country with the richest culture is:
Indonesia 5 3.21%
Egypt 14 8.97%
Denmark 2 1.28%
Iran 11 7.05%
Germany 21 13.46%
Vietnam 8 5.13%
Japan 26 16.67%
Morocco 4 2.56%
Australia 1 0.64%
Israel 13 8.33%
Italy 47 30.13%
United Kingdom 41 26.28%
China 42 26.92%
South Korea 6 3.85%
Philippines 2 1.28%
Peru 3 1.92%
United States 47 30.13%
India 32 20.51%
Thailand 10 6.41%
Spain 25 16.03%
Russia 16 10.26%
Greece 18 11.54%
Netherlands 7 4.49%
Ireland 4 2.56%
Mexico 16 10.26%
France 37 23.72%
Argentina 3 1.92%
Iraq 6 3.85%
Poland 3 1.92%
Turkey 10 6.41%
Other country not listed (explain in post) 20 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This was sarcasm, right?
How can anyone see the post you are referring to being sarcastic and the other related previous earlier posts?

I didn’t expect you to not acknowledge or not realize all of the people agreeing with you and showing a mostly similar view for cultural wealth, yet you just made it sound like you completely disagreed with us.

Quote:
How does Iran seriously have six votes? It and the empires from the Iranian Plateau has shaped so much of the world.
I am surprised you said Iran before saying anything related to Taiwan. How is Iran able to qualify for this topic?

Taiwan deserves to be mentioned at least once for being a culturally wealthy country, and is almost like a progressive version of China without the communist government, and maintaining some parts of original traditional Chinese culture very well, even if this now gets the Taiwanese label.

All of these countries should have been included in the poll for people to vote: Taiwan, Singapore, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Sweden, Norway, Cambodia, Malaysia, Fiji, Bhutan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan.

To have Iraq included in the poll before all of those countries is a joke and not appropriate.

Last edited by ; 06-21-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM

I have chosen the final list for most culturally wealthy countries, in exact order:

Tier 1: 1. France, 2. China, 3. India, 4. Taiwan, 5. Austria, 6. Italy, 7. Spain, 8. Argentina, 9. Thailand, 10. Czech Republic

Tier 2: 11. USA 12. UK 13. Switzerland 14. Vietnam 15. Singapore 16. Japan 17. Malaysia 18. South Korea 19. Netherlands 20. Belgium 21. Sweden 20. Denmark 21. Norway 22. Germany 23. Canada 24. Australia

Tier 3: 25. Russia 26. Fiji 27. Bhutan 28. Cambodia 29. Turkey 30. Morocco 31. Indonesia 32. Philippines 33. Mexico 34. Israel 35. Sri Lanka.

This is based on an intricate combination of Celebrations, Tradition, Festivals, Being Unique, Lifestyle, Education, Literature, Philosophy, Food Scene, Architecture, Music Scene, Films Movies scene, Museums, Art Scene, Languages, Variation of Culture, Shopping Scene, Home Decorating Design Items, and Spirituality.

Cultural wealth is also based on quality, balance, stability, cultural image, not just diversity/quantity, or cultural innovation.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
How can anyone see the post you are referring to being sarcastic and the other related previous earlier posts?

I didn’t expect you to not acknowledge or not realize all of the people agreeing with you and showing a mostly similar view for cultural wealth, yet you just made it sound like you completely disagreed with us.

I am surprised you said Iran before saying anything related to Taiwan. How is Iran able to qualify for this topic?

Taiwan deserves to be mentioned at least once for being a culturally wealthy country, and is almost like a progressive version of China without the communist government, and maintaining some parts of original traditional Chinese culture very well, even if this now gets the Taiwanese label.

All of these countries should have been included in the poll for people to vote: Taiwan, Singapore, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Sweden, Norway, Cambodia, Malaysia, Fiji, Bhutan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan.

To have Iraq included in the poll before all of those countries is a joke and not appropriate.
It was funny for a number of reasons. One is saying hip hop is somehow objectively inferior without qualification sounds ridiculous. It's definitely younger, but it has a wide reach and has a good lot of variety. There's a lot of boilerplate and regurgitation in a lot of genres now, but hip hop still often innovates especially when it comes to production. Foreign/ethnic music is not a real genre and is sort of a ridiculous lump category. Shutting down any conversation simply because of initial disagreement is not conducive to much of anything.

Iran is Persia. Persian culture is rich and complex with a long history and much of it still in existence to this day. They also have a lot of interesting music in the nondescript foreign/ethnic genre, an incredibly rich and diverse cuisine, age old traditions and festivals, a great bounty of archeological and architectural wonders, a large body of both ancient and contemporary literature, a strong tradition in visual and performing arts and impressive contemporary achievements (especially in film) among other things. Iran might have a disagreeable, conservative regime and a middling human development index, but that doesn't wipe away its cultural heritage or richness.

I'm Taiwanese and I like the culture. Wouldn't count it by itself as one of the richest unless you include it as a bastion and repository for pre-Communist China, but then that's China and not exactly Taiwan.

Putting all those Central Asian republics in there but not mentioning Uzbekistan doesn't make sense to me. Uzbekistan hosts some of the great historical centers for that part of the world. Samarkand, Bukhara, and Tashkent, eh?

Iraq has two rivers running through it--that's the Tigris and the Euphrates, that's Mesopotamia. Iraq was and still is culturally rich. There's a great irony in having the cradle of civilization be invaded by such a young country.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
We are not going to let the opposite disagreement or false accusations related to what is culturally wealthy ruin the original intentions of this topic. Despite some interruptions, this topic is a success and showed good indicators of relevant information for the similar opinions.
Other than all the butthurt and whining, i agree this is a good thread.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Iraq has two rivers running through it--that's the Tigris and the Euphrates, that's Mesopotamia. Iraq was and still is culturally rich. There's a great irony in having the cradle of civilization be invaded by such a young country.
This is exactly why I included Iraq. I thought more people would appreciate its rich and ancient cultural history. I have no idea how it is today though.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
It was funny for a number of reasons. One is saying hip hop is somehow objectively inferior without qualification sounds ridiculous. It's definitely younger, but it has a wide reach and has a good lot of variety. There's a lot of boilerplate and regurgitation in a lot of genres now, but hip hop still often innovates especially when it comes to production. Foreign/ethnic music is not a real genre and is sort of a ridiculous lump category. Shutting down any conversation simply because of initial disagreement is not conducive to much of anything.

Iran is Persia. Persian culture is rich and complex with a long history and much of it still in existence to this day. They also have a lot of interesting music in the nondescript foreign/ethnic genre, an incredibly rich and diverse cuisine, age old traditions and festivals, a great bounty of archeological and architectural wonders, a large body of both ancient and contemporary literature, a strong tradition in visual and performing arts and impressive contemporary achievements (especially in film) among other things. Iran might have a disagreeable, conservative regime and a middling human development index, but that doesn't wipe away its cultural heritage or richness.

I'm Taiwanese and I like the culture. Wouldn't count it by itself as one of the richest unless you include it as a bastion and repository for pre-Communist China, but then that's China and not exactly Taiwan.

Putting all those Central Asian republics in there but not mentioning Uzbekistan doesn't make sense to me. Uzbekistan hosts some of the great historical centers for that part of the world. Samarkand, Bukhara, and Tashkent, eh?

Iraq has two rivers running through it--that's the Tigris and the Euphrates.

That's Mesopotamia. Iraq was and still is culturally rich. There's a great irony in having the cradle of civilization be invaded by such a young country.
What is the point of this response, at least for the first paragraph? It is unfathomable and frivolous to see this rude negativity when it is not warranted for a situation.

To say modern Iran before Taiwan is absolutely ridiculous! Taiwan is obviously more culturally wealthy than Iran in modern times, including offering more attractions for international tourism and quality of life for people living there.

Of course I know about Persia and Mesopotamia in historic times. However, this was literally thousands of years ago. Iran and Iraq the past 10 to 20 years have reached decline and stagnancy, and are a mess in modern times. They barely show any familiarity to their past historic peak thousands of years ago, and even seem poor now in terms of culture.

Lol Iraq has two rivers running through it? Wow, so based on what you said there, a country needs just two rivers running through it to be culturally rich.

This is ironic you agreed with most of my view for the ideas and life related to being culturally wealthy and most culturally rich countries, including for other similar posters, yet you failed to acknowledge this reality and you just focused on the tiny parts you didn’t agree with, exaggerating the disagreement and negativity.

This sentence is a contradiction: “Shutting down any conversation simply because of initial disagreement is not conducive to much of anything.” I prefer to focus on what I agree with, and remembering this being a valuable use of my time.

I find responding to certain disagreement of posts to be boring, and a waste of my time, especially if the view appears stubborn or provoking a conflict. Do you really think I care if someone does not agree with me for something? I really don’t care and just move on.

I post mostly for myself and my entertainment, and useful enlightenment for certain topics, and for people having similar opinions with a variety of topics.

Hip hop is in my opinion objectively inferior and much more corrupted and delusional compared to almost any other music genre. It sometimes even feels hip hop tries to disturb the peace in the world and causing conflict. Hip hop is also a symbol of being culturally poor.

Most other music genres are better for the world, more peaceful, and superior, including most forms of Rock n’Roll, Electronic/Trance/House/Techno, and Foreign/Ethnic music genre. They are the more culturally wealthy forms of music.

Well, there you go, you used the foreign/ethnic music genre label yourself: “They also have a lot of interesting music in the foreign/ethnic genre.”

Last edited by ; 06-23-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Hip hop is objectively inferior and much more corrupted and delusional compared to almost any other music genre. It sometimes even feels hip hop tries to disturb the peace in the world and causing conflict. Hip hop is also a symbol of being culturally poor.
Replace "is" with "is in my opinion" and people will take you more seriously.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
What is the point of this response, at least for the first paragraph? It is unfathomable and frivolous to see this rude negativity when it is not warranted for a situation.

To say modern Iran before Taiwan is absolutely ridiculous! Taiwan is obviously more culturally wealthy than Iran in modern times, including offering more attractions for international tourism and quality of life for people living there.

Of course I know about Persia and Mesopotamia in historic times. However, this was literally thousands of years ago. Iran and Iraq the past 10 to 20 years have reached decline and stagnancy, and are a mess in modern times. They barely show any familiarity to their past historic peak thousands of years ago, and even seem poor now in terms of culture.

Lol Iraq has two rivers running through it? Wow, so based on what you said there, a country needs just two rivers running through it to be culturally rich.

This is ironic you agreed with most of my view for the ideas and life related to being culturally wealthy and most culturally rich countries, including for other similar posters, yet you failed to acknowledge this reality and you just focused on the tiny parts you didn’t agree with, exaggerating the disagreement and negativity.

This sentence is a contradiction: “Shutting down any conversation simply because of initial disagreement is not conducive to much of anything.” I prefer to focus on what I agree with, and remembering this being a valuable use of my time.

I find responding to certain disagreement of posts to be boring, and a waste of my time, especially if the view appears stubborn or provoking a conflict. Do you really think I care if someone does not agree with me for something? I really don’t care and just move on.

I post mostly for myself and my entertainment, and useful enlightenment for certain topics, and for people having similar opinions with a variety of topics.

Hip hop is objectively inferior and much more corrupted and delusional compared to almost any other music genre. It sometimes even feels hip hop tries to disturb the peace in the world and causing conflict. Hip hop is also a symbol of being culturally poor.

Most other music genres are better for the world, more peaceful, and superior, including most forms of Rock n’Roll, Electronic/Trance/House/Techno, and Foreign/Ethnic music genre. They are the more culturally wealthy forms of music.

Well, there you go, you used the foreign/ethnic music genre label yourself: “They also have a lot of interesting music in the foreign/ethnic genre.”
Iranian culture and customs did not suddenly just evaporate into the ether, neither did the culture of Iraq. There's a common thread that's kept. If you want to put a primacy on material wealth in terms of higher GDP or HDI, then sure, Taiwan it is (however, your list has a lot of countries in there that are actually far less developed than Iran, so maybe you've got something else going on there--do realize though, Iran is played as the bogeyman a lot of times which comes with a lot of distortions and baseless fears and criticisms). However, I don't equate that directly to cultural wealth. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you at least try to familiarize yourself with some aspects of Iranian culture. The cinematic tradition of Iran is especially rich, though much more often of the art house variety. The cuisine is fantastic and varied. Their New Year celebration is a lot of fun.

You also said you post to enlighten yourself, but how enlightening is it to basically shut down conversation with anything you disagree with and thus are likely to have known little about. If you want an echo chamber, then get one. Don't expect this to be it.

What objectively inferior part are you talking about? Is there some sort of musicological take you want to run down with all of us? You understand rock n' roll was a disturbance of the peace, right? You know that it was absolutely scandalous at first? If you're not going to discount rock and roll for the same reason, then what are you going to do?

Yea, I was using the foreign/ethnic genre sarcastically since I figured that'd give you an easy handle on it. I think it's sort of silly to have such a big grab bag of a genre.

The two rivers was to jog your memories--Mesopotamia is pretty famous, yea? Cradle of civilization and all that jazz.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-23-2013 at 05:49 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM

449 posts, read 640,899 times
So far France, UK and USA, also named by many internationals media...

Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Iranian culture and customs did not suddenly just evaporate into the ether, neither did the culture of Iraq. There's a common thread that's kept. If you want to put a primacy on material wealth in terms of higher GDP or HDI, then sure, Taiwan it is (however, your list has a lot of countries in there that are actually far less developed than Iran, so maybe you've got something else going on there--do realize though, Iran is played as the bogeyman a lot of times which comes with a lot of distortions and baseless fears and criticisms). However, I don't equate that directly to cultural wealth. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you at least try to familiarize yourself with some aspects of Iranian culture. The cinematic tradition of Iran is especially rich, though much more often of the art house variety. The cuisine is fantastic and varied. Their New Year celebration is a lot of fun.

You also said you post to enlighten yourself, but how enlightening is it to basically shut down conversation with anything you disagree with and thus are likely to have known little about. If you want an echo chamber, then get one. Don't expect this to be it.

What objectively inferior part are you talking about? Is there some sort of musicological take you want to run down with all of us? You understand rock n' roll was a disturbance of the peace, right? You know that it was absolutely scandalous at first? If you're not going to discount rock and roll for the same reason, then what are you going to do?

Yea, I was using the foreign/ethnic genre sarcastically since I figured that'd give you an easy handle on it. I think it's sort of silly to have such a big grab bag of a genre.

The two rivers--Mesopotamia is pretty famous, yea? Cradle of civilization and all that jazz.
Well, I was saying Iran reached a noticeable decline in recent times compared to historic times and having stagnancy for what is happening in Iran, at least based on the bad news from there.

I obviously don’t view Iran and Iraq in the same category. Iran is more culturally rich than Iraq. The origin of the unique Zoroastrianism religious philosophy is from ancient Persia/modern Iran, and the Persian carpets. I wonder why the Zoroastrianism religion went in decline and became mostly antiquated and Iran going from their unique religion to Muslim.

However, this is probably not enough for Iran to qualify for this topic in modern times for most culturally wealthy countries.

I believe there are plenty of countries in the world being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy simultaneously. This does not have to be mutually exclusive and finding a successful balance is possible for the same country being culturally wealthy and economically wealthy.

You should know already Rock n Roll is much more peaceful and superior compared to Hip Hop for plenty of reasons and I am done for debating about this for now.

I already know what is good for the world for almost everything imaginable.

My original list is about much more, but a few people just fail to realize enlightenment or when they have mostly similar opinions with other people but end up being rude and lack of respect for no reasons. Do you really think I care about some people having certain disagreement with me, or if they show not appropriate rude responses? I usually completely ignore this form of negativity. I prefer to focus on positive, optimistic thinking.

I post mostly for my personal enlightenment, the wealth of information, entertainment and I post for the friendly people agreeing with me showing the value, respect, and appreciation. I enjoy seeing and reading other people’s posts showing a similar view on life, and I care a lot about this good kind of energy.

However, a variety of opinions is necessary too and sometimes part of the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World