Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times

Advertisements

I had a schoolfriend who referred to herself as Showpeople. and not gypsy. she lived in a caravan and her grandfather owned Wilmots galloping horses and other attractions in Glasgow.... they all lived in caravans but were very clean, were educated, and not at all like the ones selling newspapers and begging in town .... how some of them got into this country is beyond me... its mostly women and old at that left all day out in the cold playing and accordian or tambourine badly , its sickening in every way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I had a schoolfriend who referred to herself as Showpeople. and not gypsy. she lived in a caravan and her grandfather owned Wilmots galloping horses and other attractions in Glasgow.... they all lived in caravans but were very clean, were educated, and not at all like the ones selling newspapers and begging in town .... how some of them got into this country is beyond me... its mostly women and old at that left all day out in the cold playing and accordian or tambourine badly , its sickening in every way...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Travellers

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
ive never seen one before

Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
As in the ethnic group? I don't think we even have gypsies here, at least not that I know of. Mention 'gypsy' and most people would probably think of people who live in caravans and like to sing and dance, or maybe Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Damme lol.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As in the ethnic group? I don't think we even have gypsies here, at least not that I know of. Mention 'gypsy' and most people would probably think of people who live in caravans and like to sing and dance, or maybe Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Damme lol.
Apparently there are around 25,000 Romanies living in Australia but they are now generally integrated into the community. This page is interesting and provides more info:
https://open.abc.net.au/posts/the-hi...manies-51tl4lm

Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
what is a caravan?

Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
what is a caravan?
Travel trailer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 AM

318 posts, read 625,952 times
I live in Australia and I've never seen a gypsy in my life.

Unless if you count those hipsters who frequent the streets with big hoop earrings, clashing patterns, gypsy-style accessories, engage in New Age-y stuff and think fortune telling is a reputable job.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

The Impressions - Gypsy Woman (1961) - YouTube

Gypsy Woman - Brian Hyland - 1970. - YouTube

Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM

24,113 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So there are Roma now doing the same things on the streets of New York and Toronto?
Originally from NY and I go back frequently. In NYC they are not assimilated nor are they romanticized. The women make their livings as Fortune Tellers and frequently convince people that they have curses on them and have been known to extort hundreds even thousands of dollars from unsuspecting people.

The men make their money doing terrible driveway or roofing work in the suburbs.

I did meet one Gypsy who left to become a nurse ( they discourage education) She was shunned by her family for this and for marrying a non Gypsy.

In NYC they do not live in camps, caravans or mobile homes. They usually live in rather cramped and squalid conditions behind store front fortune telling operations.

Older women are frequently involved in staged "slip and fall" incidents at large stores, especially supermarkets. My husband was a private investigator for insurance companies and had dealing with many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World