Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 06:47 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The part of England I was in didn't have a lot of blonds. No, they weren't immigrants, either. Guess the area I was in is more Roman influenced than the North is. North is more Scandinavian in DNA anyway.
I didn't think there was much Roman DNA in Britain (or rather Italian DNA, as folks from all over the Empire went to Britannia), but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting. I always find it interesting how people look (not in a racist kind of way, I don't think it makes them superior or anything of course). In Italy, for instance, as for native Italians I hardly saw natural blondes. I'd early northern Italians look so different.etc but honestly, those in Milan looked little different to those in Naples.
The same from british Islanders, some americans have the romantization of the Brits looking like nordic vikings but they look more similar to people of Northern/Western france in terms of pigmentation and height.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Do they really? And which Americans think Brits look like Nordic vikings?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
There are more blonds in Denmark definitely but according to Traveller there are NO natural blonds in the British Isles.

There are but more among men than among women, its an interesting case. Most of the women you see with blond hair in the ISles are bleached. Its because the overwhelming ancient british ancestry is even more dominant among women since the few amount of germanic input was brought mostly by males, usually creating an assymetric admixture.

The reality is england and the Uk in general are more comparable to Northwest france in terms of coloring and height (the averages) although even in northern france there are more of the extreme ends (more people looking very blonde and nordic, but also more people looking dark and mediterranean), the british and english although averaging a similar coloring than northern french have a larger bulk of their population with intermediate pigmentation (as in mousy/auburny hair, mixed eyes, etc) and appearance (not too nordic and neither too heavily mediterranean).

Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Do they really? And which Americans think Brits look like Nordic vikings?
The majority believe there is no difference between people in denmark and the UK. they believe the anglo-saxons completly wiped out the natives.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
The same from british Islanders, some americans have the romantization of the Brits looking like nordic vikings but they look more similar to people of Northern/Western france in terms of pigmentation and height.
I doubt it. And americans don't romanticize the Nordic look, or really care. Scandivians have a stereotype of being mostly blondes, the UK doesn't.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:13 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The "Nordic look" includes many with dark hair, like Princesses Madeleine and Victoria of Sweden. (Though Madeleine did go through a blonde phase for awhile.) The Vikings had an elevated percentage of people with red hair, as well (Eric the Red, for ex.) Norwegians tends to be mainly light or dark brown-haired, except for a certain region. Frisians are said to be the blondest people in the world. Maybe that's where the "Nordic blond" stereotype came from; Frisians settled England in such masses that the English language is said to be most closely related to Frisian.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-06-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
The majority believe there is no difference between people in denmark and the UK. they believe the anglo-saxons completly wiped out the natives.
Not true. I am British & living in America. I often get mistaken for being Scandinavian because I'm very blonde or they think I'm from Minnesota where there are a lot of Americans with Scandinavian ancestry. I am pure British though,
Kent to be very specific.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "Nordic look" includes many with dark hair, like Princesses Madeleine and Victoria of Sweden. The Vikings had an elevated percentage of people with red hair, as well (Eric the Red, for ex.) Norwegians tends to be mainly light or dark brown-haired, except for a certain region. Frisians are said to be the blondest people in the world. Maybe that's where the "Nordic blond" stereotype came from; Frisians settled England in such masses that the English language is said to be most closely related to Frisian.
Or Noomi Rapace. The blonde thing is partly a stereotype as not all Scandinavians are blonde.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "Nordic look" includes many with dark hair, like Princesses Madeleine and Victoria of Sweden. (Though Madeleine did go through a blonde phase for awhile.) The Vikings had an elevated percentage of people with red hair, as well (Eric the Red, for ex.) Norwegians tends to be mainly light or dark brown-haired, except for a certain region. Frisians are said to be the blondest people in the world. Maybe that's where the "Nordic blond" stereotype came from; Frisians settled England in such masses that the English language is said to be most closely related to Frisian.
Frisians dont look like english , thats for sure, there is some admixture to be found, but the people dont look much like eachother, the english are mostly ancient Brythonic (80%) by ancestry with some foreign input (20%) coming mainly from celts, normans, romans,vikings, angles and saxons. The invaders were always minority in uk and were led in to get to higher places of british society hence influenciated the Isles linguistically/culturally even when they constituted. a minority within the country.

I agree with your observations, It specially applies to Western Norwegians and Icelanders who are more often dark haired than one would Imagine. From what I have seen the blondeness tend to be more homogeneous around jutlandic peninsula of denmark, Northern/central netherlands and the upper north-west o germany. In Finland, Sweden and NOrway there is a remarkable amount of very blond people (specially in finland) but also quite a few darkhaired ones (probably uralic influence), also there is a very high prescence of people with rounder and shorter features such as tendency to rounder faces, smaller norses and shorter legs/height. I'm no implying there aren't any long featured/slender and tall people, but the distribution is definitely not comparable to Netherlands, Northern germany and continental danes who seem to fall the overwhelm majority on this type.

Last edited by Traveler86; 12-06-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World