Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 AM

209 posts, read 414,469 times

Advertisements

Peace be on you. How would be a world:
i- without boundaries or
ii- more practical collections of countries (like USA or like EU)
iii- hiring lands (for factories etc) of other countries instead going to wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,433 times
I believe all international boundaries should be erased and the free movement of goods, people, and services should be universal and go unimpeded everywhere in the world.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I believe all international boundaries should be erased and the free movement of goods, people, and services should be universal and go unimpeded everywhere in the world.
Good for developing world.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,433 times
The free movement of trade, goods, and people is the hallmark of free-market capitalism and has been OPPOSED by marxists and communists everywhere around the world. Just look at North Korea, Cuba, Pol Pot, or Mao's China.

You are either an extremely naive troll, have never opened a history book, or are one of those Belgian communists who is always whining about how "evil" American corporations, capitalism, and Wall Street is.

My suggestion is to move to North Korea if global capitalism, open borders, and free-markets scare you so much. You may learn something.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
There are some serious problems with the idea of a borderless world.

A couple of questions. In this imagined, borderless world:

Who sets fiscal and judicial policy?

What can be done to control the spread of disease and invasive species?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM

382 posts, read 721,734 times
I've sometimes thought about this issue.

I wonder if, even in a borderless world, many people wouldn't still tend to cluster together, self-segregating by race, language, class, religion, or even politics. Human beings seem to be psychologically predisposed to tribalism, even in (or perhaps in reaction to) our more globally-connected world. It seems that nationalism still appeals to many people, particularly in times of crisis, and this in spite of calls to "embrace diversity".

I sometimes speculate that these parochial perspectives could only be overcome were we to come in contact with an alien species or face an imminent global catastrophe.

But then again, the internet has made international communication (and understanding of other cultures) easier than I could have even imagined when I was a child. Maybe we'll be ready for open borders in a few decades.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I've sometimes thought about this issue.

I wonder if, even in a borderless world, many people wouldn't still tend to cluster together, self-segregating by race, language, class, religion, or even politics. Human beings seem to be psychologically predisposed to tribalism
Not just humans. This seems to be a trait shared with other highly intelligent creatures that form cultures; Killer Whales are this way too. Having different vocal dialects, habits and lifestyles and almost never intermingle with others of a different "culture". Tribalism seems to be a byproduct of culture + intelligence.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM

209 posts, read 414,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
But then again, the internet has made international communication (and understanding of other cultures) easier than I could have even imagined when I was a child. Maybe we'll be ready for open borders in a few decades.
Sound true...In the beginning there could be soft borders with checking so that quick influx does not ruin everything.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 AM

839 posts, read 982,370 times
A borderless world is a long, long way off in a legalistic, political and economic sense. Now, that doesn't mean there won't be more interconnections between states and growing influence from non-state actors, both of which are trends that seem likely to continue. Global governance institutions will continue to wield more and more power, informal and formal cross-national institutions, networks, etc. will challenge more traditional concepts of nationhood, national identity and cultural superiority, the internet will drive globalization to create further and further interdependencies between states and peoples that may eventually lead to a 'borderless' world but don't think that states, or their citizens, are close to giving up core ideas about sovereignty, nationalism, etc. Even if everyone desired this, the logistical nightmare that would have to be overcome to achieve it would be extremely painful and take many decades, if not centuries.

These trends will continue: we will see more cooperation at the international level, we'll see more cross-national interaction at all levels and in all 'arenas' (social, political, economic), we'll see INGOs and IGOs become increasingly powerful and we'll see corporations continue to present themselves of globalized entities with powers different from, but in some ways as strong as, traditional states.

However, traditional states will remain the primary form of political organization for the forseeable future, they will just be entrenched in a much larger web of actors.

We are clearly moving more and more towards a multipolar world in which there is no single superpower but rather several competing, and cooperating, world powers - most of which will have secondary states that serve as their primary sphere of influence. China is obviously the rising power now - it won't replace the US, it will take its place alongside it. The EU, if it survives (and I'm optimistic that it will), will act more and more like a single actor on the international stage and will be another 'pole' of power. Aside from these three, India and Brazil are both primed to become dominant powers in the next 50 years. Each of these countries will wield tremendous influence over surrounding countries. Other more minor powers in other regions of the globe that lack behemoths such as these will operate similarly, though probably in a more cooperative manner with those countries associating with them (I'm thinking of countries like Turkey, South Africa, Kazakhstan).

That's a bit of what I think on the issue anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World