Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What languages have you studied?
Arabic 3 3.19%
Bengali 1 1.06%
Chinese 13 13.83%
Dutch 2 2.13%
English 48 51.06%
Finnish 5 5.32%
French 37 39.36%
German 18 19.15%
Greek 3 3.19%
Hindi 2 2.13%
Hungarian 1 1.06%
Indonesian 0 0%
Italian 13 13.83%
Japanese 7 7.45%
Norweian 1 1.06%
Polish 1 1.06%
Portuguese 12 12.77%
Romanian 2 2.13%
Russian 9 9.57%
Serbian 2 2.13%
Spanish 38 40.43%
Swedish 5 5.32%
Thai 1 1.06%
Turkish 1 1.06%
Vietnamese 3 3.19%
Ukranian 3 3.19%
Other 11 11.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,013 times

Advertisements

Filipino but didn't vote for English as it doesn't seem like a foreign language in the Philippines any more though we are not really English native speakers.
Took basic Spanish. I would like so much to learn it again ( I hope I will be able to find a language school that offers Spanish where I am now ), I have a spot for Espanol as I am very much familiar with most of the Spanish words as there are 6,000 Spanish words in my language. I would like so much to learn the language of my ancestors specifically my grandmother and great grandmother.

I learned a little Portuguese but it tends to be a little crooked sometimes. I think Portuguese is harder than Spanish. I am also bad in Portuguese pronunciation, words ending in "ao".

Catbelle, how's your Portuguese pronunciation ? Just curious because Spanish pronunciation is very different from Portuguese. For ex. the " e " in Spanish is like " i " in Portuguese. Also some "e" at the end of the word like " continente" is almost not pronounced. Also words that end in "s" like " vamos " is " vamosh" in Portuguese. Didn't you get confused when you were in Portugal before ?

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-12-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
I study Korean, my wife is from Seoul, we want to teach our child the language so she can communicate with her grandmother, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins etc, all of which speak next to no English.

It's no good me sitting down listening to my wife and daughter talking to each other a language that I don't understand.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Spanish. Yawwwn

Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Duch as my mother tongue. English and French are the two foreign languages I speak quite well. German I speak on a decent level. Spanish is basic (especially for reading sports newspapers actually).

Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM

81 posts, read 190,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Filipino but didn't vote for English as it doesn't seem like a foreign language in the Philippines any more though we are not really English native speakers.
Took basic Spanish. I would like so much to learn it again ( I hope I will be able to find a language school that offers Spanish where I am now ), I have a spot for Espanol as I am very much familiar with most of the Spanish words as there are 6,000 Spanish words in my language. I would like so much to learn the language of my ancestors specifically my grandmother and great grandmother.

I learned a little Portuguese but it tends to be a little crooked sometimes. I think Portuguese is harder than Spanish. I am also bad in Portuguese pronunciation, words ending in "ao".

Catbelle, how's your Portuguese pronunciation ? Just curious because Spanish pronunciation is very different from Portuguese. For ex. the " e " in Spanish is like " i " in Portuguese. Also some "e" at the end of the word like " continente" is almost not pronounced. Also words that end in "s" like " vamos " is " vamosh" in Portuguese. Didn't you get confused when you were in Portugal before ?
It sounds like you are studying European Portuguese, where the "chiado" (tendency to change an "s" to "sh" at the end of a syllable and before a consonant) is standard.

Portuguese is more difficult than spanish. Spanish sounds don't change, Portuguese ones do. There are more tenses in portuguese as well, and more sounds in Portuguese. Portuguese, while a major language, is still very much a niche one. No one questions if you're learning Chinese, English, Spanish, or Arabic. But portuguese you will have to explain. However, it's totally worth it (in my opinion).

Also, starting from Portuguese and going to spanish is much easier than the other way, because Spanish is much simpler and clearer. For example, I've never taken any serious spanish classes, but because I can understand portuguese, I can read a spanish newspaper with relative ease (obviously I won't know every word, but you get what I mean). I can also listen to spanish and get the relative gist of the convo. This is impossible from spanish to portuguese.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnDoctor View Post
It sounds like you are studying European Portuguese, where the "chiado" (tendency to change an "s" to "sh" at the end of a syllable and before a consonant) is standard.

Portuguese is more difficult than spanish. Spanish sounds don't change, Portuguese ones do. There are more tenses in portuguese as well, and more sounds in Portuguese. Portuguese, while a major language, is still very much a niche one. No one questions if you're learning Chinese, English, Spanish, or Arabic. But portuguese you will have to explain. However, it's totally worth it (in my opinion).

Also, starting from Portuguese and going to spanish is much easier than the other way, because Spanish is much simpler and clearer. For example, I've never taken any serious spanish classes, but because I can understand portuguese, I can read a spanish newspaper with relative ease (obviously I won't know every word, but you get what I mean). I can also listen to spanish and get the relative gist of the convo. This is impossible from spanish to portuguese.
Yes I am talking about European Portuguese as I used to live in Portugal and I am married to a Portuguese.

Yes, people say it is easier to learn Spanish after learning Portuguese than the other way around which I somehow agree after taking basic Spanish. Many Portuguese say that they understand Spanish more than the Spaniards understand Portuguese.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
American English. I taught myself enough old Dutch to understand records written in the early 17th century. My parents spoke German and Spanish as second languages and I worked for native German speakers. My lawyer's second language is French. I had a well rounded exposure to four of the more common global languages.

ESL students say American English is one of the more difficult to master due to the rules. For instance the word Simple which means "easy". Easy, easier, and easiest are proper words, but "simpler" is not a word - even though it sounds like proper American English.

Some common U.K. English words may be pronounced differently in various areas of Her Majesty's realm - not unlike different regions in the U.S.. Some words common to America English and U.K. English may be spelled quite differently. One of the words that come to mind is program/programme.

If two strangers, who speak different languages, can meet and understand each other we should not be too critical of the speech. It is an opportunity to learn.

Last edited by linicx; 06-13-2013 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Canadian English mother tongue. Born in Montreal and fluent in French as a second language. I've studied Japanese and Czech. Interestingly enough, I have almost no knowledge of the languages my parents first learned and later forgot after their early years, Hindi and Dutch.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
Spanish was my first language, then English. This year I've enrolled myself in Portuguese classes! I'm so excited c;
I see you're in Chicago, where are you taking Portuguese classes?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM

81 posts, read 190,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes I am talking about European Portuguese as I used to live in Portugal and I am married to a Portuguese.

Yes, people say it is easier to learn Spanish after learning Portuguese than the other way around which I somehow agree after taking basic Spanish. Many Portuguese say that they understand Spanish more than the Spaniards understand Portuguese.
It will be interesting to see where your portuguese goes as it progresses. The overwhelming majority of portuguese is Brazilian portuguese (I believe it's 19 times more used than the Euro counterpart). Then again, you're married to a portuguese person, so who knows.

Last edited by DginnDoctor; 06-13-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: changed "Brazil" to "Brazilian portuguese"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World