Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Japan vs. Canada
Japan 21 42.00%
Canada 29 58.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Japan and Canada are about as different as two 1st world countries can get.

Culture: Japan gave us anime and Nintendo. Canada gave us Bieber and Nickelback.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.......whoa. You really couldn't pick anything better than that? lol

How about Rush, and at least William Shatner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM

318 posts, read 624,575 times
I wish Miami had that bullet train Japanese people have. We could get to New York in 2-3 hours.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
I know quite a bit more about Japan than the average Canadian so i'll give it a go:

Healthcare: Japan on the whole, but it has some serious flaws and I feel Canada's system produces doctors of a higher quality.

Quality of living: Canada

Scenic beauty: Canada due to its size, Japan for easy access to scenic beauty, especially coastlines and ancient rural sites, for a larger percentage of its population. That scenic beauty is, of course, much more crowded than Canada's.

Cities: Japan, although I've heard it can sometimes be boring, and Canada has terribly underrated unique cities.

Excitement: Canada

Culture: Japan

Climate: Japan has a great range of climates to suit one's taste.

Cuisine: Japan's culinary scene is innovative in a way Canada's often isn't and the national cuisine is known around the world. On the other hand, Canada has some great quality food and a vast diversity of world cuisine everywhere you go in the country which is something Japan doesn't have. Dishes native to Canadian regions are not known worldwide but they can also be quite good. I prefer the diversity of taste experiences in Canada but will give it to Japan in the end based on the healthiness of the population's diet.

History: Japan

No. of visitors: Canada, it's a statistical fact

Skylines: Despite how many highrises Japan has and how urban it is, I'm actually giving this one to Canada! Japan was largely built with short highrises and tall buildings are often scattered in its multi-nodal cities. Canada often clusters its highrises in a strong downtown with all the tall, good quality skyscrapers next to each other, making for much cooler and more dramatic skylines. Unexpected, but quite true for skyline aficionados like myself.

Architecture: Tie, honestly. Japan's bigger so it clearly has more older architecture which is a plus, but Canada's older architecture is pretty cool to and it can boast historic skyscrapers, which one can't find it Japan. I also find the simplicity of historic Japanese architecture appeals to me less than the more detailed Euro-Canadian architecture. As for modern architecture, I feel both countries can go head to head and it's just a matter of one's preference and values.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,494,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesys View Post
Since people seem to be comparing Canada and Australia almost constantly around here, for reasons that don't make much sense, I thought I'd compare countries that are a little more comparable. Compare this.

Healthcare:
Quality of living:
Scenic beauty:
Cities:
Excitement:
Culture:
Climate:
Cuisine:
History:
No. of visitors:
Skylines:
Architecture:
Canada is more comparable to Japan than Australia?

You could have fooled me.

Ive being to Japan and it's absolutely nothing like i would imagine Canada to be.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Healthcare: by most metrics i've come across, Japan
Quality of living: depends on a lot on your network of friends and family, so for me Canada
Scenic beauty: Tie, Canada has the great variety of natural beauty but Japan has it compactly and the range of it is more accessible to more people.
Cities: Japan by a long shot
Excitement: also japan by a long shot
Culture: japan
Climate: i prefer japan
Cuisine: japan by a good margin. Yes there's japanese cuisine in general but there's also the obsessive care japanese people put into the quality of their food and despite not having a very diverse population, i have found a lot of japanese chefs put a lot of effort no matter what cuisine they are working with
History: japan, easily
No. of visitors: canada i guess but a lot of that is dues to the ease of accessibility canada offers to the us
Skylines: tie
Architecture: japan, i find it a shame that japan does not put greater effort in preserving its historic architecture though.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:48 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
I wish Miami had that bullet train Japanese people have. We could get to New York in 2-3 hours.
Shinkansen doesn't go faster than 300 km so MIA-NYC (without stops) would take you at least 7 hours.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,119 times
What a comical premise. Canada is vastly more comparable to Australia (geographically large English speaking former British colonies, mostly European population within 10 million of one another, similar GDP, one can go on and on) then it is to Japan, a country with 4 times the population, more than 3 times the GDP, and about as starkly different a history, culture, and population as you can get.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
Healthcare: Not sure.
Quality of living: Tie.
Scenic beauty: Canada has more in variety, but Japan is more compact.
Cities: Japan.
Excitement: Probably Japan.
Culture: Japan has a great culture and history, but Canada has many cultures.
Climate: Probably Japan, because they have cold and warm places. Canada only has cold and "not as cold".
Cuisine: Canada because of the ethnic diversity.
History: Japan by a long shot.
No. of visitors: Canada probably.
Skylines: Tie.
Architecture: Tie, both have very neat historical architecture.

Personally, I'd rather live in Canada and holiday in Japan.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,089,719 times
As far as I can guess, Australia and Canada probably have a more comparable climate than Canada and Japan as well. Does Japan get sub-zero temperatures very often? I know Australia is known internationally for being "summer all the time" (because that's when overseas tourists tend to visit), but they have winters just like here in Canada, just at the opposite time of year. Many people think the same thing about countries in Europe, like Greece, Italy, and others, because they rarely see any of it in the winter.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I know Australia is known internationally for being "summer all the time" (because that's when overseas tourists tend to visit), but they have winters just like here in Canada, just at the opposite time of year.
Even in the tropical north, there is no way you can not distinguish between the "dry" and "wet" (monsoon) seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World