Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM

3,552 posts, read 4,363,360 times

Advertisements

I voted America. But truthfully, the selection should be The United States OF AMERICA (USA) given that AMERICA is a continent which includes Canada, Mexico, and all Central and South American countries.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Okay, all i was doing is basically stating what my country has contributed to the world...

True, you should hear some of the things Canadians and Europeans say about America.
The difference, at least with Canadians, is that percentage wise more Canadians have visited, lived and know more about the U.S. than people from the U.S. know about Canada.

That's why when we hear " best in the world " " freest country " " free speech " " only in America " " we're number one " etc...we shake our heads knowingly and laugh.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I voted America. But truthfully, the selection should be The United States OF AMERICA (USA) given that AMERICA is a continent which includes Canada, Mexico, and all Central and South American countries.
True, but many have given up that stance, since really what are they going to call themselves? United States is such a " technical " name for a country that United Statians or whatever won't fly.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
America = U.S.A

Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Okay, all i was doing is basically stating what my country has contributed to the world..
yes, our coountry has contributed, never denied that and we will agree completely on that.
Quote:
True, you should hear some of the things Canadians and Europeans say about America.
There will be times in the future when we will be more in agreement with this believe it or not. This will be especially true when others start implying that we're stupid and know nothing.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
America = U.S.A
And here we go. It wasn't long ago when I had to remind people of this too. It is universally known that America and USA are synonymous.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And here we go. It wasn't long ago when I had to remind people of this too. It is universally known that America and USA are synonymous.
Well more so now than a few years ago. When I started travelling throughout Europe and the U.K. in the late 1980's I would be asked where in America I was from. I would answer that I wasn't from America ( which is technically incorrect since I am from the America's ) but from Canada.
This answer 9 time out of 10 got the response " yes but Canada is in America" . After clarifying terms with people, at that time most Europeans and most people in the U.K. explained to me that by America they mean the America's. However even at that time it was starting to change. However even today I've seen the odd U.K. documentary that when referring to a site in Canada they sometimes just say America.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-29-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well more so now than a few years ago. When I started travelling throughout Europe and the U.K. in the late 1980's I would be asked where in America I was from. I would answer that I wasn't from America ( which is technically incorrect since I am from the America's ) but from Canada.
This answer 9 time out of 10 got the response " yes but Canada is in America" . After clarifying terms with people, at that time most Europeans and most people in the U.K. explained to me that by America they mean the America's. However even at that time it was starting to change. However even today I've seen the odd U.K. documentary that when referring to a site in Canada they sometimes just say America.
Interesting. Guess it's only those that visit and moved here that understood. The USA is the only country with America in it's name so it seems to most that America implies the US. This is good news though, next time someone talks about "stupid Americans" I'll just reply, "yeah those damn Canadians are something else in America aren't they?"

Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Back to the original title of the thread. Why do people create threads with such moronic titles. This is a far more interesting matter of discussion...

Old 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Isn't the USA the United States OF America. Meaning it is a part of America and not America itself. The country should never have been named the United States of America it only creates confusion. It would be like Germany calling itself the United States of Europe.. Instead we are having to engage in this moronic discussion about why the USA = America when two continents plus Central America and the Caribbean with dozens of countries in no less than the Western Hemisphere itself are located in the Americas. Of the 1 billion who live in the Americas the USA represents 313 million of those people - therefore The USA unequivocally does not equal America

On a bigger scale - the world has plenty enough fame, billionaires and movies without the help of the United States. This isn't an attack against the U.S other than to put things into perspective for some posters who believe that the most famous player on the team = the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Interesting. Guess it's only those that visit and moved here that understood. The USA is the only country with America in it's name so it seems to most that America implies the US. This is good news though, next time someone talks about "stupid Americans" I'll just reply, "yeah those damn Canadians are something else in America aren't they?"

Last edited by fusion2; 06-29-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World