Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country has the most fame in celebrities, movies, music?
UK 18 14.63%
America 92 74.80%
Australia 5 4.07%
Canada 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

Lol this thread is abnormal! How do the sane Americans not distance themselves from these warped people?

Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol this thread is abnormal! How do the sane Americans not distance themselves from these warped people?
What are you talking about?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That statement has been taken completely out of context. Michael Jackson did not invite random boys to sleep in his bed, that's absurd. You have to keep in mind that Michael Jackson's bedroom was two stories big and the bottom story was basically another living room. He had closets full of memorabilia and people were free to walk in and out, so understandably a lot of guests loved to spend time in his bedroom. It had become a sort of gathering place at Neverland (along with the kitchen). Michael Jackson invited thousands upon thousands of families to stay over at Neverland, through foundations like Make-a-Wish and Dreamstreet, and these families came from all over the country - and the world even. Sometimes they traveled so far that it was inconvenient for them to go back home in the evening, so Michael allowed them to stay over in one of the guesthouses. With a handful of families, Michael developed a closer friendship. He felt sorry for the children, who were often either sick or underprivileged, so he tried to help them as best as he could. Sometimes the children of the families he had gotten close to asked him if they could stay over in his bedroom, like a sleep-over. Michael told them it was OK as long as they had the permission of their parents. He didn't see anything inherently wrong with it, kids sleep over all the time and he was in many ways still very childlike himself. That's why he had no problem admitting on national TV that he "shared his bed" with children, it just never crossed his mind that people associate this with sex. Of course, a statement like that is bound to be misinterpreted and I can understand why people, without knowing the full context, find it suspicious. Michael Jackson was extremely shy and grew up in a bubble, he found it hard to explain himself and he didn't really understand social conventions. I'm sure that to the day he died, he did not understand why people made such a big deal out of him letting children sleep in his bedroom if they wanted to. He did become more careful after the 1993 allegations, he always made sure there was another adult in the room when a child was staying over as he - naively - thought this would protect him from another extortion attempt.

Michael Jackson did have mental problems, there's no denying that. He suffered from anxiety, insomnia, depression, low self-esteem, trauma related to his childhood abuse, and paranoia. Some believe he had Body Dysmorphic Disorder or a Peter Pan complex but I'm not convinced of that. However, it's really no surprise he had mental issues considering everything he'd been through. Just put yourself in his position for once. Imagine having a disfiguring skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of your skin and tearfully opening up about it on Oprah, only to have people say you're lying and you hate your race. Imagine being bullied about your appearance by your father and brothers to the point you get plastic surgery to "fix" yourself, only to have the whole world join in on the bullying and label you a freak. Imagine dedicating your entire life to helping children in need, only for people to turn your love for children into something perverse. Imagine the pressure of having to provide for your whole (extended) family from a very young age while your family members exploit you at every chance. Imagine being confronted with a vicious media that invents the most horrible stories about you every day of your life. How would YOU cope? Yet through all of this, Michael Jackson kept his dignity. He never lashed out in public against the injustice done to him. He never went on Twitter rants. He never lost his gentle nature. I guess that would have been the "normal" thing to do
You're blinded because youre a 'fan' its because of 'blinkered' people like you he got away with the things he did - the simple fact is that if any 'Joe in the street' behaved the way he did they would have been lynched, he OBVIOUSLY had mental problems and because of the person he was he never had the proper help he needed.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What are you talking about?
Why would anyone agree with what some people are saying on here? The usual suspects are talking nonsense and supposed knowledgable people agree with half of their dribble.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:17 PM

And MJ, half decent singer yeah, but also a bloody child abuser! The bad outweighs the good in my mind.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Why would anyone agree with what some people are saying on here? The usual suspects are talking nonsense and supposed knowledgable people agree with half of their dribble.
Nonsense as in that we produce the highest-grossing films, have the most billionaires and are home to some of the most well known celebrities in the world?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
But not more of a global icon than Elvis Presley

Elvis was and will always be the King

IMO the UK rules when it comes to popular music.
I just have to look at my music collection....

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Deep Purple
The Who
The Kinks
Black Sabbath
David Bowie
Jethro Tull
Yes
Cat Stevens
Rod Stewart
Elton John
I'll stop there, could be a long list
UK has some very good artist but the majority of top selling music artist are Americans.

Elvis, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Eagles, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Steisand, Donna Summer, Neil Diamond, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, Metallica, Eminem, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Prince, Kenny Rogers, Janet Jackson, Chicago, The Carpenters, Bob Dylan, Cher, Lionel Richie, Linda Ronstandt, Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Kiss, Barry White, etc....

Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Well, who's to say who's warped and who isn't? At what point does one become "warped". Now I've had my share of disagreements in this thread but to call someone warped because you don't share their opinions?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Constant, daily nonsense. That's what I would call it.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
And MJ, half decent singer yeah, but also a bloody child abuser! The bad outweighs the good in my mind.
Oh, if this is what you're talking about, maybe I see your point. I still think Linda makes good points whether MJ is liked or not. I liked his music. I also believe he did some things with children he shouldn't have. To me, they are mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World