Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times

Advertisements

Visit the link below for information on DOD teaching programs overseas. They provide a wide source of employment opportunities worldwide

http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/rsrcs/pubs/2042.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 PM

90 posts, read 283,774 times
I taught English in Korea for several years in the mid-90's. Legally, one was to have a four year Bachelor's Degree (any subject would do). In reality, places would hire anyone who was a native American English speaker and white. Very easy to get a job then; I'm not sure about now. I had a not so great experience and then tried again in a new city and had much better luck. I didn't know anyone personally who got burned but I heard stories. I knew some people who stuck around a few years, but most left after the first year. I stayed because I had a Korean fiance who I married after the first year. It was definitely a life changing experience!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
I taught English in Korea for several years in the mid-90's. Legally, one was to have a four year Bachelor's Degree (any subject would do). In reality, places would hire anyone who was a native American English speaker and white. Very easy to get a job then; I'm not sure about now. I had a not so great experience and then tried again in a new city and had much better luck. I didn't know anyone personally who got burned but I heard stories. I knew some people who stuck around a few years, but most left after the first year. I stayed because I had a Korean fiance who I married after the first year. It was definitely a life changing experience!
Where did/do you live in ROK? I spent a year each in Kunsan and Kwang Ju; really enjoyed my time in the Land of the Morning Calm!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:00 PM

90 posts, read 283,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Where did/do you live in ROK? I spent a year each in Kunsan and Kwang Ju; really enjoyed my time in the Land of the Morning Calm!
I lived in Pusan.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:20 AM

29 posts, read 67,226 times
Korea needs more English teachers. Welcome you always.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
I'am under the impression this Teaching English is an over-hyped fad. There was a time when a person could teach in another country even if they just spoke, read and could understand it. It was desirable to take a TESOL course. I see job postings for English teachers and all want University degrees even if the subject isn't relevant to the job. People with other good post secondary credentials such as Journalism Diplomas are not considered. Some countries do require a degree. Of course if you are working for a university you ought to have more experience. We have an diverse choice of quality post-secondary schools here that are often looked down by certain people in the academic community. Perhaps there have been too many incompetant teachers with western attitudes that have dampened the industry. Perhaps these countries have enough fluent English speakers at home to to teach saturating the market. Then there is outsourcing to other non western English speaking countries. Getting a good teacher from India is doable they are very literate,don't necessarily demand high salaries and don't have alot of the western attitudes and financial expectations teachers from westernized countries have. I have heard of people not being payed treated badly etc. This is not an easy job

Teaching English at private language schools around the world is very low paying and not worthwhile in the long term. In order to get good English teaching university jobs (with good conditions and a good salary) one needs a M.A. degree usually in TESOL.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
The thread is four years old....

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM

51 posts, read 153,966 times
I taught English in South Korea for 2 years and in Russia for 2 years, and loved nearly every moment of it. Korea paid well and the food was good, but I got tired of the xenophobia. Russia paid less and the food wasn't as good, but the people were fantastic and there was a lot more culture and history.

Students in Korea were difficult as they clammed up and expected to memorize key phrases. Russians, on the other hand, were lively and learned fluency quickly, which resulted in lots of laughter and discussions in class.

Accomodations in Russia were a bit better than in Korea, if not as modern.

Seeing so many beautiful ladies in both countries was a treat.

Never had a kid's fingers shoved up my behind in Korea, although I did hear of this happening to other teachers.

Not really a career thing, however, and once you do it for too long you become almost unemployable when you return home. I had this problem but thankfully managed to perservere and get a normal job back home. Still, I think every day I wish I was back overseas, hanging out with a group of great Russians and eating delicious Korean food...

Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM

314 posts, read 817,070 times
Default Am I Crazy??

Glad to see this thread is back up!
I am actually thinking of teaching English abroad but I am doing it a different way. I do not want to go through any company etc. etc.
I actually want to travel to Sao Paulo, Brazil! I am just going to buy a plane ticket there and once I land, apply to all companies..I heard there's big opportunities there!
I know some Spanish and I am going to start my Portuguese classes next week. This should be exciting!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World