Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,368,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexicans, in a bargaining situation, they will talk you down in price then when the deal is reach will flip through a hand full of bills and ask if you have change for a hundred LOL
Lol ever heard of the term "jew down" or "jewing" jew down - Wiktionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,320,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Lol ever heard of the term "jew down" or "jewing" jew down - Wiktionary
Never heard that term but apparently others have and use it quite well for themselves

Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,476,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexicans, in a bargaining situation, they will talk you down in price then when the deal is reach will flip through a hand full of bills and ask if you have change for a hundred LOL
That's exactly what I do when I go to Mexico and bargain with them--and they're never insulted if you ask for change after bargaining down to a price 1/2 to 1/8 what they originally asked... In bargaining cultures they know how the game is played.

I once spent two hours drinking tea with the proprietor of a Moroccan carpet shop bargaining down the price of a small rug that they originally wanted $50 for. I bought it for $15-$20 though it was probably worth less than $10. Though I drank like $5 worth of tea during that time... I didn't even really want the rug though the guy's sales pitches were pretty funny... "This rug is perfect for you and your wife." "Well, I don't have a wife." "You buy this rug you'll have a wife--and a beautiful mistress."

Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM

2,358 posts, read 7,071,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's exactly what I do when I go to Mexico and bargain with them--and they're never insulted if you ask for change after bargaining down to a price 1/2 to 1/8 what they originally asked... In bargaining cultures they know how the game is played.

I once spent two hours drinking tea with the proprietor of a Moroccan carpet shop bargaining down the price of a small rug that they originally wanted $50 for. I bought it for $15-$20 though it was probably worth less than $10. Though I drank like $5 worth of tea during that time... I didn't even really want the rug though the guy's sales pitches were pretty funny... "This rug is perfect for you and your wife." "Well, I don't have a wife." "You buy this rug you'll have a wife--and a beautiful mistress."
Jaja that was funny

Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,320,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

haha good one. You would make out very well in Tijuana LOL

Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM

7,476 posts, read 6,220,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
What nationalities are among the cheapest according to your experience?

I would say Israelis. Constantly asking and begging for coupons, additional discounts, "forgot my coupon.. You say don't have any... They say call manager or we won't shop", return/repurchase items on sale, etc.
The folks down on the Gulf coast of the United States of America think Canadians are fairly thrifty. They have this joke, "Know the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? The canoe will tip."

Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM

18,503 posts, read 15,455,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Thats a new one on me! Unless of course you mean the Scots, who do have a bit of a reputation of short arms and deep pockets. Thats not something Ive found to be true though to be honest.
No I don't mean the Scots. I have a friend from the Bolton area. His whole family was cheap. I thought it was a one off, but another friend of mine who's wife's family is from the north says he finds them cheap as well.
However, as I said, generalizations.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM

134 posts, read 219,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The folks down on the Gulf coast of the United States of America think Canadians are fairly thrifty. They have this joke, "Know the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? The canoe will tip."
I used to visit a Lake Resort area of southern Minnesota. The joke about rural Iowans was they'd come with a pair of overalls and a $20 bill and wouldn't change either one.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,827,835 times
The french.. Just a hunch

Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 AM

810 posts, read 1,873,801 times
Um, Chinese are definitely not cheap. I remember reading somewhere that the average Chinese tourist spends more on luxury goods than those from any other nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World