Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:07 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,086 times

Advertisements

China
France
Italy
Spain
United States

In no particular order

I haven't been to Spain yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 AM

468 posts, read 615,672 times
Japan
Australia
United States
Italy
New Zealand

Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 5,750 times
For me: Italy, Israel, France, Japan, and China (Taiwan or Hong Kong).

Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,637 times
USA
Brazil
Nepal
Australia
Tanzania

My interest is in nature, not culture.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,447 times
There's only 3 must for me
Spain, France, Italy

Old 09-27-2014, 02:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
USA
China
UK
Russia
India

Old 09-27-2014, 07:43 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Interesting that of all of the Latin American nations, I see Brazil mentioned the most [it's on my list as well ], but the number one most visited country in LA is actually Mexico. I wonder if this is just a City-Data phenomena that favors Brazil, or more of an overall trend since Brazil has been receiving a lot of international attention in the last few years due to its economic and diplomatic ascension, as well as the World Cup and Olympics.

My attempt at an objective top 5 (in no particular order)
- USA (with the diversity and such eclectic differences between NYC, LA, Miami, New Orleans, Austin..etc, just so much to see, even for Americans)
- France (culture + wine)
- China (to experience the very tangible growth and chaos of Beijing and Shanghai)
- South Africa (the economic and cultural giant of Africa)
- Brazil (music, culture, natural beauty and regional power)

Personal top 5
- Japan (Tokyo alone...but Kyoto, and all those temples set in rustic settings <3)
- Mexico (no other country in Latin America offers the combination of ancient ruins + indigenous culture + amazing beaches + incredible food + ecological diversity + colonial gems like San Miguel de Allende)
- Turkey (where east meets west, Greek ruins, and Istanbul)
- Sweden (I want to experience an eternal summer in Stockholm)
- New Zealand ( I want to go on endless treks, while dressed like LOTR characters LOL)

I think the increasing popularity of Brazil is due to the popularity of its culture in many arenas- sports, modeling, the World Cup. It also has a very 'cool' beach and music culture. It really is a cultural gem in Latin America. I personally love it, love being a part of the culture, love that I have had the blessing of adopting it as my third culture.

HOWEVER, based on your comment about travel to Latin America, what is most interesting to me is how people have qualms about traveling to Mexico, but not to Brazil! As someone who spends alot of time in both countries, I am convinced that in a general sense, crime is WORST in Brazil than Mexico. I myself, as well as close friends and family have been victims of crimes there. You really need to be careful down there, especially in the big cities.

I know people on here will freak out, pull out their statistics, etc..but I spend lots of time in both countries and even my Brazilian husband agrees.

I think my top travel destinations are:

Spain
Mexico
Brazil
Japan
Turkey

If I could add a 6th, I would add Australia!

Last edited by rosa surf; 09-27-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World