Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,447,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
I know people from humble, working-class backgrounds
Ah, the famous 'I know people' or 'I know someone'. I sure do love anecdotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
And why would they stay in a crappy youth hostel, eat crappy food, and presumably stay indoors all day
Yup, and this is the crux of the point really - if people are going to make the effort to travel abroad, then they want that experience to be enjoyable - clearly for a lot of people, staying in a crowded youth hostel with people you don't know isn't their idea of a good holiday abroad. It doesn't need to be a pampered experience, either, but perhaps they just want to stay in an actual hotel, even if it's a budget one. But there are people who can't even afford budget hotels, can't afford budget airlines and can't even afford to travel by train in their own country, let alone by plane, plus other expenses.

Some people have such sheltered lives, it's unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM

67 posts, read 93,145 times
Heck, you can even get FREE lodging around the world by using couchsurfing.com. Some people have had grand adventures doing this. But it's much easier feeling sorry for yourselves and coming up with all sorts of excuses for why you can't travel. Poor you.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
Heck, you can even get FREE lodging around the world by using couchsurfing.com. Some people have had grand adventures doing this. But it's much easier feeling sorry for yourselves and coming up with all sorts of excuses for why you can't travel. Poor you.
Here we go again - 'some people'. What people? Do you know anyone personally? Are you going to bore us with your useless anecdotes? Yeah - believe it or not, some people do not want to stay on the couch of some stranger they have met online. God, how pathetic of them - not trusting people they immediately meet via the internet. How dare they want to stay in a hotel in their own room, rather than sharing a filthy hostel with a bunch of strangers. How dare they want their first experience abroad to be one they will remember for the right reasons. How dare they have ANY semblance of standards. Grr.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ah, the famous 'I know people' or 'I know someone'. I sure do love anecdotes.

Yup, and this is the crux of the point really - if people are going to make the effort to travel abroad, then they want that experience to be enjoyable - clearly for a lot of people, staying in a crowded youth hostel with people you don't know isn't their idea of a good holiday abroad. It doesn't need to be a pampered experience, either, but perhaps they just want to stay in an actual hotel, even if it's a budget one. But there are people who can't even afford budget hotels, can't afford budget airlines and can't even afford to travel by train in their own country, let alone by plane, plus other expenses.

Some people have such sheltered lives, it's unbelievable.
Who said the experience wouldn't be enjoyable? You would still get to explore new places and possibly meet new and interesting people along the way. It's only unenjoyable if you allow it to be. You have only yourself to blame in that case.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Here we go again - 'some people'. What people? Do you know anyone personally? Are you going to bore us with your useless anecdotes? Yeah - believe it or not, some people do not want to stay on the couch of some stranger they have met online. God, how pathetic of them - not trusting people they immediately meet via the internet. How dare they want to stay in a hotel in their own room, rather than sharing a filthy hostel with a bunch of strangers. How dare they want their first experience abroad to be one they will remember for the right reasons.
Here are some examples:

The MOBILE CouchSurfing Revolution - YouTube

How to Travel Through 20+ Countries with Free Room and Board

If YOU feel you need to stay in an actual hotel to enjoy travel, then by all means stay home until you have the means to travel how you want. Meanwhile, other people of modest means will get to have interesting adventures while you sit home feeling sorry for yourself.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm not feeling sorry for myself - I have traveled enough, but it's easy to point fingers at people you don't know and call them 'lazy pricks' because they cannot afford to travel abroad. It's also very easy to tell people to 'save up', even though some people have virtually nothing after living expenses so have nothing to put aside! Not even a rainy day fund! Take it from a person who grew up in such an environment - saving money is easier said than done. Some people just don't have the means to put money aside as all of their money is earmarked for something else before they even get paid.

Stop being so judgmental.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not feeling sorry for myself - I have traveled enough, but it's easy to point fingers at people you don't know and call them 'lazy pricks' because they cannot afford to travel abroad. Stop being so judgmental.
The "lazy prick" comment was directed towards a good portion of today's youth who choose not to work. Because people who actually DO work could afford nice getaways (that include hotel accommodations), even if they earned minimum wage, if they budgeted correctly. I've come across working-class people who say they cannot afford to travel, but somehow can afford the latest gadgets and gizmos as soon as they hit the marketplace. It's all a matter of priorities.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Which youth are choosing not to work? I can only speak from a UK perspective, but unless you have parents who are able to support you financially, choosing not to work is not a bright idea because you cannot live off £72 a week (the amount of money the government gives you to find a job).. and if they have parents who are able to support them financially, they would probably go on holiday annually with their parents anyway, or get their parents to foot the bill for everything.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,750,596 times
There are alot of people in their 40s who havent even gone to the other coasts of the US!
Don't sweat it.
Some people who had never been abroad; they just simply think where they live is the best; and don't care about the rest of the world.
The fact that you still want to travel out of your country means you are an open-minded person. That's a plus! And one day, you will travel to more countries! Just don't put yourself down over it.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Which youth are choosing not to work? I can only speak from a UK perspective, but unless you have parents who are able to support you financially, choosing not to work is not a bright idea because you cannot live off £72 a week (the amount of money the government gives you to find a job).. and if they have parents who are able to support them financially, they would probably go on holiday annually with their parents anyway.
My point is, those who actually work for a living could set aside a couple dollars, pounds, Euro, etc. each week to travel at least once a year. Let's say you put £10 in your travel fund each week. Quite a modest amount, right? After 52 weeks, you will have over £500 in your travel fund. That's more than enough for a couple weekend getaways that you could take to nearby countries. All it takes is three years to travel to six different countries if you only travel twice a year. You make it seem like it's an impossible feat, which it's not. Like I said, if there's a will there's a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World