Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 12,790 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, I think that the most polite people in the world are Japanese people. Second is westerners( including American). Third is Chinese people. Fourth is Korean people.
These are according to my experience. It is because Japanese people are cute and polite.Westerners( some of them are rude and raical discrimination) are not polite as Japanese people. Chinese people like shouting ,speaking loud and rude to other people. Korean people( they like beating other people) are even more rude than Chinese people.So I like Japanese people the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 01:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Japan BY FAR. I live in Japan, and I am absolutely shocked at how incredibly POLITE they. In many ways, its very annoying, as there seems to be so much unneccasary politeness even for simple customer/clerk interactions.

They also say 'excuse me' all the fricking time when no one is even remotely near them (much like Americans do). I feel like you can walk near me without apologizing for it all the time (this goes to both Japanese AND Americans).

Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,090 times
In California, being polite means being friendly first & foremost. Formalities are less important, however, it is also considered better to fake friendliness & being upbeat even if you aren't feeling that way. I suppose at that point it has become a formality. Saying "excuse me", "please" & "thank you" & that sort of thing are important, but no one minds too much if you forget.
I disagree with some of that thinking, but then I don't have the typical "American" temperament (the loud, very friendly, & outgoing personality I hear so often described).
I'm the shy & quiet type (at first), & where I live this often gets mistaken for rudeness, coldness or snobby-ness. Not being chatty or having a smile plastered to your face constantly is also faux pas. This culture can be very exhausting if you are not an outgoing person.

My family is of a Latin heritage and while they are very polite in some ways (showing appreciation, generosity), they can be overbearing at times with their strong personalities & opinions. They also expect everyone to be warm & talkative like them, and it's not fair. I find it shallow to a point too. They'll act like they just love you to your face, & they'll want to hug & kiss you, but when you're gone they'll gossip.

I've noticed that Germans sometimes lack a filter on their mouth and say things outside the realm of tactful. Every German I've known has done this and it seems to have lived on in many Americans with a German heritage.

I find that Asian people understand my personality better & I find them polite as well. To me, being polite also includes keeping a distance so people are not overwhelmed. If someone is "too friendly", then I feel almost attacked and it's a turn-off.
I guess I feel politeness is being considerate, and so you should adjust yourself to the circumstances & the people you're dealing with. This is why I try to be more outgoing now, even though it doesn't come naturally; I'm tired of being misunderstood & I've realized that being polite means I have to adapt also.

So in case it got lost in there, I find Asians, well the Japanese specifically, the most polite. I've known some Vietnamese & Chinese who were similarly polite too.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM

72,994 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armydog View Post
That's hard to say. I have meet many people from around the world, and just about all of them are nice. I use to be stationed in Germany, and I had a blast. I also lived in Italy, and had a great time there too.

I really wish the people in the US would be a little bit more friendlier. Everyone is just too busy chasing the almighty dollar.
So I guess the saying is true. "Money is the root of all evil".

Money is not the root of all evil. The LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all people. When one loves money, he will do horrible things to get it.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,953 times
From my own personal experience, I've found Trinidadians to be among the friendliest.
I think the Japanese win when it comes to politeness.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:08 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Japanese, Scandinavians, and people in heavily scandinavian settled areas of North America.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
In California, being polite means being friendly first & foremost. Formalities are less important, however, it is also considered better to fake friendliness & being upbeat even if you aren't feeling that way. I suppose at that point it has become a formality. Saying "excuse me", "please" & "thank you" & that sort of thing are important, but no one minds too much if you forget.
I lived in California for a year, mostly San Francisco which I was quite comfortable with. Later, I moved to San Diego for two months. In SD, they would often say 'have a nice day' as you left a cash register.

It puzzled me as I've heard that expression in many Hollywood movies as being a very sarcastic thing, and I always used only to be sarcastic myself as well. I'd make eye contact to see if there was humor there only to realize it was just simply what they said and nothing more.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
[quote=alienpredator;3761265]In my opinion, I think that the most polite people in the world are Japanese people. Second is westerners( including American). Third is Chinese people. Fourth is Korean people.
These are according to my experience. It is because Japanese people are cute and polite.Westerners( some of them are rude and raical discrimination) are not polite as Japanese people. Chinese people like shouting ,speaking loud and rude to other people. quote]

"Westerners" is an overly broad generalization in this context- Germans are very different from Canadians, for example.

To me, the Thais are the most polite (and genuine at that) I've encountered. Even in Bangkok with all the crowds, heat, etc. the people are cordial, patient, and pleasant- and not at all put on. On the other hand, many other Asian countries (China, Singapore) & European countries (Germany, France) a high proportion of people are either/ or or all of the following: brash, loud, impatient, bad manners, gruff, insincere. Americans and Canadians can be nice, mean, sincere, insincere, pretentious, down-to-earth- all at once.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 34,914 times
Polite people come in all races, using your gut feeling about that polite person is the way to understand where they are coming from. The more you use your instinct the more you can see genuine kindness not just politeness.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knock knock View Post
Polite people come in all races, using your gut feeling about that polite person is the way to understand where they are coming from. The more you use your instinct the more you can see genuine kindness not just politeness.
While they do come in all races, certain areas of the world still seem to have a much higher percentage of polite people because of their local culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World