Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,402,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
In japan our entire culture is based off of politeness and respect. The only other people i know who are near as polite in a japanese sense would be koreans. For westerners i think canadians are pretty polite.
I believe both are very polite. I never understood the whole respiratory mask wearing until I was in Japan and asked why. Golly, if americans only thought that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 01:37 PM

102 posts, read 253,004 times
I really think it depends as what is rude to one man may be polite to another. I spent part of my honeymoon in Dubai. Whilst checking in to our hotel I asked the receptionist to tell me what 'please' and 'thank you' is translated from English to Arab. I was surprised when she didn't know the answer (as she spoke fluent English and worked in Dubai), however, she explained to me that they are not commonly used. Aparently if someone does a good deed for you, for example holds a door open, you are expected to pass on that good deed by doing something for someone else. It is considered insincere to simply say 'thank you'. I thought that this was a really nice way of going about daily life and found that the people there would go out of their way to help us out. Of course I think my fellow countrymen are just as polite though! ;-)

Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM

589 posts, read 1,553,318 times
In my travels, the most polite people are the Japanese... and the rudest are the sales people of Hongkong!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM

23,300 posts, read 16,984,207 times
Default try harder

The distinguished English voice boomed out in Brussels airport, "If you try harder perhaps you can block both doors". This was in reference to a little, bent over old lady who was struggling through the door way with 2 big suitcases.

Individuals in all countries are polite, while individuals in all countries act in an extremely rude manner. Which has a lock on bad behavior is statistical chance. "Feeling lucky pilgrim?"

Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,399 times
us americans without a doubt.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,125,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nederlander View Post
us americans without a doubt.
Ha, that was a great joke there. I would put Americans closer to the bottom on politeness for many reasons. OUt of the countries i've visited personally, I would put Americans at the very bottom. Americans are cool in some ways, but politness is certainly not a strong point.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 PM

895 posts, read 2,359,257 times
I dont think americans are polite AT ALL especially compared to japanese. But politeness and friendliness are different. I think americans are much more friendly than japanese in general.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,135,677 times
I have been to quite a few countries. Thailand by far is the most Polite. I watch them tolerate more crap from foreigners than anywhere else that I have ever been.
I love Japan but make no mistake their polite face is a mask hiding their true feelings.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Cambodia being the friendliest of them all...
I agree. The "smiling khymer". Wonderful people.

The rudest to Americans, the Italians and possibly the French. They are rude even to old lady Americans. ( I have SIL from both countries who I adore. I am speaking about citizens in the countries themselves.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 AM

589 posts, read 1,553,318 times
If you are a foreigner passing through U.S. Customs and Immigration... you will experience the rudest treatment anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World