U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Sydney most like?
NYC 17 15.32%
San Francisco 42 37.84%
LA 22 19.82%
Other 30 27.03%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:43 AM

597 posts, read 293,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Fish and chips and pubs? Fish and chips is very minor part of the food scene in Sydney, and can be bought in a lot of America cities. But I’ve never seen a British style fish and chip restaurant in Sydney, or a British style pub for either. A few British style pubs would probably be a welcome addition, compared to the local ‘beer barn’ style establishment. Rugby is actually fairly global sport; being played in France, Italy, Argentina, and other places.

There a lot of ways in which the British historical influence in the US is apparent: the preponderance of Anglo-Saxon surnames (regardless of which boxes are available or ticked at a census in either country) and cities with British names, or use of British measures including road sign in miles per hour. At a more societal level, in the US like the UK Christianity is markedly more Protestant in character than Australia, and there is similar lack of southern European cultural traditions apparent in daily life, like the annual blessing of the fleet ceremony you’ll find in most Australian sea ports. And both the US and UK have comparatively few migrants as a proportion of their population.

Spelling? Australian spelling is actually pretty mixed, particularly in everyday usage. Yes, its ‘colour’ not ‘color’, but is usually ‘program’ no ‘programme’, and it can be either ‘traveled’ or ‘travelled’.

US can seem a lot like the UK depending on what aspect of society you’re focussing on.
Ha lucky you were not in my class for spelling! You would be writing twenty times; programme, travelled, labour, colour, centre!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 AM

893 posts, read 525,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Ha lucky you were not in my class for spelling! You would be writing twenty times; programme, travelled, labour, colour, centre!
LOL. "Programme" is definitely not used much, at least today. And I've worked in organisations that required 'traveled', 'targeted'.... I see 'organization' as often as 'organisation' in correspondence.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 02-11-2018 at 02:27 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 04:41 AM

597 posts, read 293,303 times
Well the kids I taught were too young to use an American spell check. It is not terribly important in the scheme of things. I seem to remember arguments at staff meetings about program versus programme. I do not miss those meetings at all.To be honest I do not think any North American city is much like Sydney. Worldwide, I would be thinking if Auckland or Capetown. But Capetown is scenically more beautiful.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:54 PM

20,410 posts, read 25,348,020 times
Quote:
LOL. "Programme" is definitely not used much, at least today. And I've worked in organisations that required 'traveled', 'targeted'.... I see 'organization' as often as 'organisation' in correspondence.
American companies I guess?

Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 PM

893 posts, read 525,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
American companies I guess?
Actually, no.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:22 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,862,317 times
To me Sydney (I lived there for 3 years) is some sort of mix between San Francisco and San Diego with some sprinkling of NYC (bustling and energy).

I do not agree with any comparison with Seattle or, even less, Vancouver. Some element of Toronto?? Maybe, I do not know Toronto that well.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM

20,410 posts, read 25,348,020 times
Quote:
Actually, no.
So... "non-American companies eager to normalize their English language usage with that of the world's biggest economy operating in that language"?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,845,038 times
Toronto

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,573,960 times
I love Sydney.

It's an outward manifestation of every single thing I've ever dreamed of in a city (and then some - Sydney surprises even me, still). Everything. When I look at a Sydney, I think to myself that life has tried playing a practical joke on me, to take everything from my dreams, quite literally, and put it all together in one place and call that a city.

"Perfect" is probably left to each individual to decide for themselves, but Sydney is the world's most perfect city to me. I like 3 other places as much as Sydney and another 3 just slightly less than Sydney, but ever so slightly favor Sydney above all else.

So my answer to this thread is none of the above. None of these others are like Sydney, they shouldn't try to be as they would benefit by being themselves, but they couldn't ever be either. I've been to all of the other cities on the poll and none of them are anything like Sydney other than superficial "on the surface" sort of similarities. Also, I consider that to be such a good thing.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:28 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,309,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

So my answer to this thread is none of the above. None of these others are like Sydney, they shouldn't try to be as they would benefit by being themselves, but they couldn't ever be either. I've been to all of the other cities on the poll and none of them are anything like Sydney other than superficial "on the surface" sort of similarities. Also, I consider that to be such a good thing.
This is very well said and couldn't agree more. Often times, we get lost in generic comparisons or when we even visit a place, holding it up to something else instead of just looking at it and appreciating it for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or